Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

discussion: how useful is an mcpd (for example)

• 09-03-2007 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I work with ASP.NET and SQL Server. I've been looking into getting an mcts in web client development and then getting the mcpd and equivalent for sql server.
    From what I've read on the internet, a lot of people have a very negative impression of these kinds of certs, with holders being branded as parrot-learners with no problem solving skills. (the phrase "minesweeper certified solitaire expert" to describe the mcse springs to mind).
    It has occurred to me that maybe most of these ideas originate from people who don't want to bother getting the certs and so wish to undermine their value.
    How useful do you percieve certs of this kind to be, and what do you see the prevailing attitudes as being like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I have the MCPD Web at the moment.

The reason for the MCSE one was the orginal NT4.0 MCSE was seen as a paper certification as it was possible to do the exam without even turning on the computer.

As for the certifications in general, mainly people doubt the certification as it is possible to go online and get "sample" exams that look uncanningly like the exam itself.

The MCPD can be seen in the same way as a computer degree, its fairly useless without the experience to back it up, but it does show you have gone out and learned enough to get it.

Advertisement