Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Landfall Ireland

• 09-03-2007 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    I am trying to track down a book by this same title.It is about ww2 aircraft wrecks of both Axis and Allied here in Ireland. It was published appx three years ago in N Ireland?and is now out of print.Does anyone have a copy that I could loan,beg ,borrow buy or steal from???
    Tried the local libary,about as much help as an ashtray on a motorbike.Ditto for Amazon.co uk.
    any help appreciated
    Thanks
    CG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I have a copy, I think it has the authors contact details in it if ye want them, he could have some spare copies that he'd sell ye?

I aint selling my copy but failing that a lend of it wouldnt be out of the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Milo

Title: Landfall Ireland : the story of allied and German aircraft which came down in Éire in World War Two

ISBN 1904242030

Publisher: Newtownards : Colourpoint Books, 2003

link here to Dublin public library but I see you're in the Banner so maybe this would be better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Thanks Bambi, I'll start with giving the author a contact,and see if he would have a spare copy to sell.Can you PM me the info? If not, well,we'll see about a loan then?
    CG.
    Cheers Milo,
    tried Amazon,with nil effects before.

contact info is in the public domain already so i'll just post it:

Donal MacCarron
    4 the chyne
    Gerrards Cross
    bucks
    SL9 8HZ
    England

tel/fax 01753 883812
    email donmacs@onetel.com

good luck, and if he cant help fire us a PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I have a copy

come on, come on, do tell !

I heard an Arado Blitz landed here , i think it was in mayo or somewhere in the west?

• Advertisement

Doesnt mention anything about a blitz in the index of crashes :confused: . I'd imagine the allies would have been quite keen on having a look at any blitz that came down here

Would be very noteworthy alright!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

magick wrote:
    come on, come on, do tell !

I heard an Arado Blitz landed here , i think it was in mayo or somewhere in the west?

Oh yea in October of 1946, just after Wehrmacht invaded Scotland from the west :confused:

Jaysus lads, think before you put down something :rolleyes:

Update.Well,no one inc the author has a copy for sale.:eek:

Bambi, PM incoming....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

I was going to make a radio programme about this 2 years ago and i found a guy from Belfast who has a lot of info on the subject.

He is with a group called the Irish Aviation Archaeology Society

his name is John Quinn

quinnsean2003@yahoo.com

Very nice guy, very helpful with interesting facts.

There is also book out there called 'Down in a Free State'

check this link also

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~dan/war/crashes.htm

however, No Arado Blitz ever landed here, for sure, during the war or since.
    I think the most interesting case was the Junkers Ju 88 night fighter which landed at Gormanstown in May 1945 with 3 German defectors. The aircraft was taken away by the British, why I don't know ??

hope this is of help ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 audizerstoren

" Down in a Free State " ...great read, fascinating details, and allowed me to find out what happened to some of the polish aircrew whose graves i stop at whenever i am in Milltown.

I found mine 2nd hand in a library sale in Belfast..great value at STG£2... get it if you can!

isbn 0 9525496 5 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Folks,
    I am trying to track down a book by this same title.
    Hi Clare,

I tried bookfinder.com, which normally has everything, but it came back with zip, which is very unusual for that site.

I do have a copy of this book, but I've been burned before on lending books to strangers.

If there's a specific incident in the book that you want me to check, then not a problem.

As far as I remember, it chronologically lists the various allied/german aircraft landings/crashing in the Free State during the '39-'45 period.

Many people think there were just an isolated number of incidents including the 5-Lamps Luftwaffe bomb-drop, but the book lists around 100, including the Luftwaffe bombing of a Wexford cremery that was contracted to supply milk to the British Army.

Hi Clare,

I tried bookfinder.com, which normally has everything, but it came back with zip, which is very unusual for that site.

I do have a copy of this book, but I've been burned before on lending books to strangers.

If there's a specific incident in the book that you want me to check, then not a problem.

As far as I remember, it chronologically lists the various allied/german aircraft landings/crashing in the Free State during the '39-'45 period.

Many people think there were just an isolated number of incidents including the 5-Lamps Luftwaffe bomb-drop, but the book lists around 100, including the Luftwaffe bombing of a Wexford cremery that was contracted to supply milk to the British Army.

But, then again, take this book as a good introduction or as a start for your own reaserch. Some of those stories didn't happen and some of them are either wrongly dated or aircraft type doesn't match as well as some photographs are "missinterpreted"... Some examples, from my memory, I think, "IAC" Hurricanes are in mess, wrong type wrong numbers. PRU Spitfire, wrong type, there was "something wrong" about one of Swordfish crash landing...

tried bookfinder.com, which normally has everything, but it came back with zip, which is very unusual for that site.

No probs.Bambi kindly loaned me the book.:D
    Umm,well I cant comment on it's total accruacy etc.But it did give me quite a lot of info on the three Condor crashes during the war here.

I
    think the most interesting case was the Junkers Ju 88 night fighter which landed at Gormanstown in May 1945 with 3 German defectors. The aircraft was taken away by the British, why I don't know

Apprently had the most advanced radar tracking&homing on a German night fighter at the time.Supposedly superior to the Allied one as well.

What gets me about all this is;unlike the Swiss who were neutral and defended their airspace and impounded downed and undamaged Allied and Axis aircraft.They pressed them into Swiss airforce service.Saw once a BW pic of three B17s of various types in Swiss markings and cammo. We OTOH,dismantled most of them and sent them over the border along with US/UK crews.
    By rights Ireland could have said;have the crews back,and thanks for the planes!! We could have had a pretty good if eclectic airforce:eek: 4or 5 B17s,a few Spits,Hurricanes,Blenheims,Liberator or two,a P38 A Ju 88 night fighter.with that if anyone had tried any funny busisness,we could have made life miserable for them for a day or so.

Well, am not quite sure about Spits or B17s... But IAC did used some of those "fallen birds". You mentioned Hurricanes, there were 3 of them, Mk.I and 2 Mk.IIb's, all of them used by IAC. No's 93, 94, 95, Fairey Battle No 92 or Lockheed Hudson No 91...

Before, during and long time after WWII IAC was equipped with aircrafts of British origin, so this Ju 88G6, no matter how interesting for us, was a bit out of the reach, because of maintenance needs. Can't imagine few Irishmen travelling through Europe's, now liberated, Luftwaffe airfields and resourcing spares for this bird...
    Don't want to be a smart arse here, though. It's a pitty, that there was no B17 or B24 or any German aircraft with orange-green roundels

When the JU 88 arrived ,the war in Europe was near enough over,somthing like two weeks later.Just using it as an example,and the fact we handed over some important loot,that if maybe handled correctly,could have got us a few more Spits maybe,or whatever.Where it flew from there is a pic in landfall of dozens of the JU88s lined up and mothballed by the German aircrews piror to surrender.German throughness.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

My mum saw the german plane hat came down in the cahirsiveen/ballinskelligs area in kerry. Apparently my grandad thought they were about to be bombed??

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Advertisement