Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat just caught a mouse

Options
  • 09-03-2007 8:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

i'm so proud of him, but it was a tiny baby mouse and the sadistic bastard was throwing him up in the air and having a great time torturing the poor thing. so I let it go outside, but when I gbot back in the cat was going mad searching around where I'd caught the mouse.. will he get tired of this eventually? he looks awful stressed out

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Sometimes I'll take a mouse off my cat. If it's dying, I wait til it's dead and then I give it back. If it's very much alive, I set it free and endure my cat's glares for the next half hour or so. She gets over it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Mordeth wrote:
    i'm so proud of him, but it was a tiny baby mouse and the sadistic bastard was throwing him up in the air and having a great time torturing the poor thing. so I let it go outside, but when I gbot back in the cat was going mad searching around where I'd caught the mouse.. will he get tired of this eventually? he looks awful stressed out
    My cat usually loses interest if the mouse isn't moving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

he's gotten better... think he's lying down on the stairs now.. maybe he'll catch the scent when we let him out later and he can finish the job where I won't know about it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Id be glad if my cat brought in a mouse.

Lately its been birds--large birds,rats(huge rats--nearly as big as the cat)
    and a squirrel.
    All dead of course--sadistice evil feline.

Its like a present for the house every morning.

Now if I could only get him to find that missing snake Id be happy :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Possibly one of the most yucky things our cats have ever done was a week or so ago. We found the head and tail quarters of what we assume was once a pregnant female rat together with 6 or 7 small rat foetuses about the size and shape of a butter bean close by :eek: Positively made me feel queasy it did!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Hellrazer wrote:
    Id be glad if my cat brought in a mouse.

Lately its been birds--large birds,rats(huge rats--nearly as big as the cat)
    and a squirrel.
    All dead of course--sadistice evil feline.

Its like a present for the house every morning.

Now if I could only get him to find that missing snake Id be happy :D:D
    God don't mention the rat word. Mine went through a phase of killing them. Rabbits too.
    It freaks me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Our cat just prefers to eat the dogs food as well as his own. As regards mice if we find one and point it out to him he will kill it otherwise mice aint his department.

Although the dobermans caught one recently.

I generally don't interfere with nature taking its course with my animals unless he is chewing the postman although when my dobie caught a pipe fish yesterday and ate it I kinda felt bad about it as it had been me that pointed it out to them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

i'd be happy if my cat caught anything - the fat biatch. She's gotten so lazy all she does lately is sleep - under my duvet! Normally when i'd walk in the room at least she'd acknowledge me with a meow - but now I get nada! Not even a glance. she just sleeps, sleeps and more sleeps!

Still love squishing her little face though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ohhhhhhh now I am so proud when my kittens catch a mousie that I take photos!

The worst one was a time when Stinky caught a mouse & droped it on the bed where I was laying down watching tv - up my trouser leg went the mouse! I had to shake it out so the cat could finish it off!

I am also pleased as punch when my dog Holly kills rats! They terrorise the birds at night so if Holly can catch them then I & the birds are all the happier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

My cat just got neutured today so I'm expecting we wont be finding any mice....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Awwwwwwwww Shoutman hows the kitty? My baby boy Adolf was neutered 2 weeks ago he was fine the next day & is bounding around as normal now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Yup. the mouse & bird count in our house goes up as well with spring coming. Tell-tale sign is increased jumping about in the hall, when one of them brought in a little "toy" to play with. By now I just leave them to it if mousi is still very much alive (mostly) because if we distract them they may forget about it and the we have yet another escapee mouse in the house (finding dessicated corpes under beds, sofa's etc. doesn't bother me any more) - otherwise pick it up with thongs and throw it out - cat will follow through flap (or not as the case may be) :D
    Recently we had 2 big fat mice (or small rat, not entirely sure) & 1 bird brought in ... always provided plenty of praise and then dispatched prey into hedge ...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Had a mouse in the house recently, seen him a few times so I got the cat and was shoving her behind the fridge, thinking that she get the scent and go get him..

but no she looked at me as if to say look boss I aint hungry, if you want him get em yourself, and waltzed out the door and into bed.

I wouldn't mind but I'm usually taking mice off her outside to stop her torturing them and now when a free mouse is up for grabs I'm told straight NO WAY, don't want anything to do with it:mad: :rolleyes:

some cat, but I still lov her:rolleyes:

(Mouse has since vanished, maybe she got him when I not looking)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

My labrador won't stop killing the neighbours cats. Our neighbour has a small farm with cats running wild and every so often one of them wanders into our garden and the lab hits it like a runaway train. I hate picking up their soggy moggy bodies and sticking them in the bin but if they won't stay out I can't help them.

'cptr

CatKilla.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I took a mouse of one of our cats recently and put the cat inside. The poor mouse was so rigid with shock that it wouldn't even move when I nudged it :0(

Somebody told me once that the reason they bring in kills is that you are gone all day and 'return' with food so they think you are out hunting and they just want to contribute in kind. Probably a load of crap but sounds good :D

I hate picking up their soggy moggy bodies and sticking them in the bin but if they won't stay out I can't help them.

'cptr

I applaud the way you phrased that sensitively for all the cat owners here. The fact that the picture is called Cat Killa speaks volumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Good grief! It's a cat, it hunts. You won't change its nature so let it get on with what its job is - killing small things. Otherwise you are being cruel to the cat. Or just don't keep cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

as far as I've heard, cats bring their bounty home as presents for their owners...had a couple of birds brought home and presented to me...not very nice, but that's nature for ya...

I just need to teach my hunters a thing or two about timing and location of presents - Sunday morning 7 am in bed is NOT the time or place to present dead fat birds to your sleepy owner...

and as morgana said, don't forget to praise your kitty for bringing you a present, no matter what... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

galah wrote:
    I just need to teach my hunters a thing or two about timing and location of presents - Sunday morning 7 am in bed is NOT the time or place to present dead fat birds to your sleepy owner...

Just be thankful they're dead - imagine cat chasing still alive bird over sleepy human's body. Or the crunch crunch noises when cat dispatches bird :D
    BTW, just found another desiccated mouse corpse under living room shelving .. shrugs ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

galah wrote:
    as far as I've heard, cats bring their bounty home as presents for their owners...

That's nonsense, of course, someone applying human values to an animal's behaviour. More likely the cat is trying to feed you. Be grateful you don't keep seagulls, what with the regurgitated fish and co :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

erks...you're right, should be grateful I don't keep pelicans ;-)

Maybe my cats are telling me I need to eat more ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Cleavage1970

Don't you know it's polite to play with your food if you are a cat!!!!!!!! Have to admit though I squirm when I see the cats playing with a bird or a mouse and usually end up going outside to see what damage is done. Once caught one of the cats 'playing' with a baby bird, checked out the bird for damage and it was fine, then spent the entire morning running between the vets and the pet shop looking for advise....god I even tried chopping up worms from the garden. Needless to say cat was not impressed looking in the window at me trying to feed the baby bird. In the end I put him back on a very high wall close to where I found him. I didn't find it's body so hopefully it got sorted and mammy found him..............very sad I know, but I am a big softie!

Advertisement