Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Felt roof on shed needs replacing

Options
  • 09-03-2007 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

just noticed my felt roof on one side of my wooden shed has come free after 10yrs.

Is it an easy job to replace. I'll probably just fold back the ripped bit and cover it with new stuff. How do I get a seal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Easy to do, just make sure that all of the joints face downwards (upper piece on the roof overlaps the lower piece) so that the water runs of them rather than into them. Make sure you overlap by a good couple of inches and nail them down with plenty of large headed clout nails. You shouldn't need any sealant along the joint, but you can buy special bitumen to paint over the felt before you overlap the pieces if you really want to. It's probably easiest to start at the lowest part of the roof and work upwards and make sure that the very top piece overlaps the ridge pretty much in half.

You'll be better off removing all of the old felt and make sure that you lay the pieces so that the joints are horizontal rather than vertical.

Dead easy really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I recently had to do my garden shed ..... I left the existing felt in place .... screwed 3 by 2 battens on top and fitted green corrugated steel roofing sheets, complete with ridge piece ...... it will do me for another 20 years for sure ..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

hobie wrote:
    I recently had to do my garden shed ..... I left the existing felt in place .... screwed 3 by 2 battens on top and fitted green corrugated steel roofing sheets, complete with ridge piece ...... it will do me for another 20 years for sure ..... :)
    sounds like a lot of hard work....I only half a half day to do it on tuesday with a mate of mine. Saw the rolls of felt in Woodies today for €20 for 10x1m roll so I'll pick that up tue morning.
    They have tins of bitumen paint Redjeep. Is that the stuff you are on about?
    My mate said to get proper tar paint but this was next to the felt so I guess its the right stuff to get?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

sounds like a lot of hard work....

It was good fun to do ...... :)

Felt roofs are ok as long as they are not exposed to rain, sun and wind ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

hobie wrote:
    It was good fun to do ...... :)

Felt roofs are ok as long as they are not exposed to rain, sun and wind ... ;)
    current one has lasted 10yrs so happy enough with that if I get another 10 out of this one. I've plans to give it a good painting this year so it will be protected for years. Its a big enough shed so it would be a lot of hassle to replace it.
    I saw some nice plastic 8x8' ones in Woodies yesterday that I'd like but very expensive

• Advertisement
Advertisement