Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you consider to be an actual Celeb?

Options
  • 09-03-2007 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

Marilyn Monroe, Jimmy Hendrix, Madonna, Jack Nicholson et al were/are superstars, celebrities in the true sense of the word. Once upon a time you had to posess talent of considerable worth and charisma in order to be considered a celebrity. Now, anyone who has appeared on TV automatically becomes a celebrity, i.e. famous for being famous. I mean who the F*ck is Jack Tweed? What talent did he ever bestow on the world? Why the hell are we so fascinated with Victoria "swine face" Beckham? Paris Hilton hmm?Besides posessing blind ambition and ASTOUNDING self belief, what have they ever done? Who do you think still possess and has earned the title of celebrity in its truest sense of the word?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Nicole Kidman. I have a giant girl crush on her. She's an fantastic actress, and Moulin Rouge showed her to be a talented singer too.

I find it interesting the way Hollywood is moving back towards the original idea of celebrity from the 40's and thereabouts. More and more actors are trying their hands at singing and other things now. The original celebrities (Fred Astair and so on) we all multi-talented actors, singers, dancers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

I believe Sean Connery is a true celebrity. And Patrick Stewart. And Robert DeNiro. And most definitely Johnny Depp.

And not speaking of movie stars. I know most people will call me sad and whatnot, but I truly believe that Dr. Phil is a wonderful man. He is also a true celebrity in my eyes. I mean, he is famous for helping people. What better thing to be famous for? And he really does help people in need. Rebuilding homes and everything!

Another person that I believe deserves the title of a true celebrity is the wonderful and fantastic Tyra Banks. She is just such an amazing and kind woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

Rawr! wrote:
    . And Patrick Stewart. QUOTE]

hmmmm really?

I dunno I guess Madonna, Kylie, Bono, the big actors - Tom cruise, Nic Cage, etc

Doesnt mean I like them though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

I suppose a true celebrity is someone who's actually been in a blockbuster film or had a no. one album. The likes of Madonna and Kylie who've managed to stay on top through the decades - afaik they are the only two female artists to have no. 1's or top ten hits in the 80's, 90's & 00's. We also have legends who imo are beyond celebrity like Elvis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Rawr!

sher anyone can be in a blockbuster these days....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

I think its all down to the misuse or new meaning of the word

Thats why i use 2 - Celebrity and Star

Celebrity = Well known face, in the publicity sense

Star = someone who has great talents

Most Stars are celebrities, but feckall celebs are Stars

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

A true celebrity? In what sense of the word? A respectable celeb or a complete twat of a celeb? lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Elizabeth Taylor just oozes star quality, and always did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭CherieAmour

descry wrote:
    Rawr! wrote:
    . And Patrick Stewart.

hmmmm really?

Absolutely!!! Stellar actor! Could never understand why he stuck with Star Trek for so long considering his wealth of talent (sorry Trekkies:D ).
    Faith wrote:
    I find it interesting the way Hollywood is moving back towards the original idea of celebrity from the 40's and thereabouts.

Also agree with this. It seems that over this side of the world, people are happy to make Kerry Katona, WAGs and reality show contestants their idols.

You don't have to have done ANYTHING these days to become a 'celbrity'.

The distinction between 'star' and 'celebrity' is a good one, but I think a 3rd word is needed to describe those that fill the pages of magazines like OK, New, Now etc. Any ideas?

I already have a word in mind for those that buy them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

paris hilton,wags etc are DEFINITLEY not superstars!!a superstar or celebrity is someone who has achieved something worthwhile like starring in a film or releasing a debut album and it succeeding!!paris hilton ahsnt got a hint of talent and either do those money grubbing WAGS lolol state of them all!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement