Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

video conversion?

• 09-03-2007 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have been trying to archive my movies and college work which is mainly in .avi format. At the end of the day I want to be able to archive and play my stuff on dvd or cd with menus where multiple movies are on one medium where needed.

I have been using 'dvd Santa', 'avi2DVD' and 'roxio premier 8'. After following the instructions closely and encoding the vids with the correct codecs etc everything seems to go ok. I end up with .vob files which I burn to dvd.

The resulting dvds' don't play on my dvd player!? Does anyone have a reliable way of doing this I have been trying for weeks and have only ended up with a stack of useless dvd and cd disks. I'm thinking about buying a different dvd player the one I have is a plustron and is supposed to play a wide range of formats, maybe it's just crap? Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Buy a better dvd player. But that just fixes your problem not others who may want to share it with.

Playing them on your pc should show whether they work or not byopening them with Windows media player.

i doubt your doing anything wrong just have a **** dvd player.

you can open VOB files with media player classic as another test of the actual conversion.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Ok that's good advice I just opened a .vob file in windows media player and it plays it fine. Could you reccommend a reasonably priced dvd player, or am I better off paying out for one (the plus**** player that I bought claims to play a really wide variety of formats but that is obviously not the case).

'aviToDvd' seems to do a great conversion job and even provides an .iso imag file which I can open in isoBuster, should I just burn the .iso file to my dvd or should I just burn the .vob file to dvd?

Ok the menu thing, Roxio premier 8 provides a great menu feature for multiple movies. The thing is that after I burn multiple movies with a menu and animated intro the dvd on the computer comes up as blank with nothing written to it? My computer plays normal dvds no problem I can't see why it won't recognize a dvd encoded by Roxio!? Are they different formats to the standard dvd?
    Hope I'm not asking to many questions at once but I have done a lot of research and have made many attempts to get the process down, and it is frustrating.
    Thanks again for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wouldnt recomend programs as everyone has their favourite.

I use the ALDI Divx dvd player cost 30 quid and plays everything has HDMI out too.

What is your dvd player, it may that it justs doesnt play burnt discs.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭MLM

It might not be a problem with the DVD player as such. It could be the type of DVD disk you are using. There are four different types DVD -R, -RW, +R, +RW. DVD-R will play on about 95% of players. The others vary but some will work with only about 70% of players. Older players tend to be the most troublesome. Try out different types of disk if your burner will allow it.

The player is a plustron dvx-2250 from dunnes stores. It is supposed to play mpeg4 / DVD / VCD / CD / MP3 PLAYER. The dvd disks are dvd-r.

I'll try and play the disks on another player to eliminate the possibility of it being the player. Cheers for the advice I seem to be doing everything correctly I think it's either the burner (Pinnacle express) or the player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

The player is a plustron dvx-2250 from dunnes stores. It is supposed to play mpeg4 / DVD / VCD / CD / MP3 PLAYER. The dvd disks are dvd-r.

I'll try and play the disks on another player to eliminate the possibility of it being the player. Cheers for the advice I seem to be doing everything correctly I think it's either the burner (Pinnacle express) or the player.

when you put the dvd's into a pc and look at the disk in windows explorer, do you have an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder, of which the video_ts folder has a number of different files?

Yep spot on, their is an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders inside a folder named DVD. The audio folder is empty and the video folder has five files in it 1 1.vob 2.BUP files along with a VIDEO TS file and a VTS file. Hope that makes sense.

I have burned the .vob file as it seems to be the one with all the audio and video playing in windows media player. Oh and outside the DVD folder are a few other files? audio stream file, a script file and a DVD image file I tried burning the image file as well, no joy.
    Ps all work fine on the pc but not on the dvd player?

Yep spot on, their is an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders inside a folder named DVD.

is the DVD folder on the dvd you have burnt? the only folders that should be on the dvd are, the video and audio _ts folders.

how big is combined contents of the DVD folder?
    how big is the ISO file..?

*Edit* to fix quote

I just tried burning those TS folders onto a dvd and tried it on the dvd player, it just whirred and wizzed for 30 secs then ejected the dvd?

The DVD folder is 862MB and the image .iso file is 863MB I have burned this as well with no joy (using 'powerIso'). I reckon I'll test the disks I have already burned on another player. Cheers for the help.

I just tried burning those TS folders onto a dvd and tried it on the dvd player, it just whirred and wizzed for 30 secs then ejected the dvd?

The DVD folder is 862MB and the image .iso file is 863MB I have burned this as well with no joy (using 'powerIso'). I reckon I'll test the disks I have already burned on another player. Cheers for the help.

do the disks work on your pc with a software dvd player?

• Advertisement

Sorry was away for awhile.

The disks seem to work fine on the pc. I just burned another one onto a dvd disk size 862 MB format was .avi to SVCD using 'avi2DVD'. I burned the .iso image using 'PowerIso', once again the DVD player spat it out after 10-20 seconds.

I then tried it on my PS2 and it played perfectly except it is obviously in black and white but the video and audio played perfectly. Must be the player surely?

Advertisement