Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College network policies?

• 09-03-2007 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm going shopping with my girlfriend tomorrow for a new laptop for her, and she goes to NUIM. Anyone know what the requirements for the Maynooth wireless network are? The nuim.ie website seems horribly out of date.

The main problem is that new laptops are being sold with Vista now- and I need to know if that's supported, plus anything else I need to know.

(And I know Vista has lots of problems right now, but she'll only be doing basic tasks on it, so it should be ok- I hope).

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Does she live on campus? If so only the village apartment has wireless and the arts block!

As for getting Vista I wud get it tbh even tho XP SP2 is better. Mainly cos u will get the SPs for Vista in a few months(well about a year)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dave3x

No, she doesn't live on campus. I guess it's not a big deal, but here in TCD things are pretty strict: you can only run Windows XP Professional (or Linux if you don't mind the complete lack of support and the nightmare in setting up proxies) and everything has to be registered and approved and you have to install remotely updated anti-virus software AND your laptop is liable to be re-examined automatically by the network every few months.

So, I was just wondering if it's likely to be a problem (since TCD won't let Vista anywhere near its network right now for security).

Thanks for the reply, I guess we'll just wait and see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

You won't hear anything official on here, but if you were to email the computer centre, you'd get a definite answer on this. Offhand, I wouldn't think that Vista is officially supported here. No large scale network is even going to consider looking at vista for at least another year, or a service pack or two.

From personal experience, I've had no problems setting up vista machines on the wireless and the campus apartments LAN.
    It will work, with no more or less effort to configure than XP.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭merritt

The NUIM Wireless on campus is still officially in beta. Vista won't officially be supported for a few years yet.

That said, if your laptop is wireless enabled and you follow the online instructions (how are they out of date? :confused: ), you shouldn't have any problems.

Advertisement