Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed cameras in Dublin Port Tunnel?

• 10-03-2007 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine went northbound through the tunnel and he thinks he may have got caught speeding. I'm hearing conflicting reports about whether or not the Tunnel has speed cameras?

Can anyone clear this up?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Dunno about speed cameras but it has lots of surveillance cameras. I suppose they could be dual-purpose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Yes they are speed camera's, there was an article in a paper when it opened saying that they had cameras every 50 yards or so and where being used for catching speeders.Bad luck. On the subject of the tunnel,anyone else noticed that it closes every night about 11 pm, well every time I pass after 11 it's closed and I work the airport so use that stretch of the M1 often.Seems a bit silly really, spend millions building a tunnell then close it every night,I'm guessing the volume of traffic doesn't merit the overtime for the toll people.It also makes the trucks 'have' to enter the city,which is illigal.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

It’s just maintenance which was advertised in advance of the opening. It closes each night so checks can be preformed. It's only temporary and will be fully acessible soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

dubtom wrote:
    It also makes the trucks 'have' to enter the city,which is illigal.:rolleyes:
    It's only illegal for trucks to enter the city between 7am and 7pm. Drivers can also get a permit (free at the minute, IIRC) to allow them to use the city. Also, AFAIK, there is no speed cameras in the tunnel. The cameras they have are for monitoring, but apperently they can send the video to the Gardai who can get the speed off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Sh:t, that's my first two penalty points if that's the case.

Hadn't even occured to me that there were speed cameras.

I've only gone through it once, I was only other vehicle there and I went through at about 60mph. D'oh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I'm still hearing conflicting answers everywhere :S

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

ballooba wrote:
    Sh:t, that's my first two penalty points if that's the case.

Hadn't even occured to me that there were speed cameras.

I've only gone through it once, I was only other vehicle there and I went through at about 60mph. D'oh!

Since reports are conflicting i guess you will have to sweat for a week or 2 as you wait for a registered letter :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Altreab wrote:
    Since reports are conflicting i guess you will have to sweat for a week or 2 as you wait for a registered letter :)
    Is it that quick? My incident was after the England Ireland rugby match.

I would have thought it would take a while given the number of agencies involved in pursuing such a case.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I didn't think they were sent by registered post!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

It takes about 6 weeks to get notice of penalty points for speeding, and no, it's not sent registered post. Well, mine weren't anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ballooba wrote:
    Whatever about anywhere else, speeding in a tunnel is fairly stupid. In hte event of an accident, there is no hard shoulder or median for you to avoid a stopped vehicle and if you lose control you hit a concrete wall. If there a fire, you're screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

kbannon wrote:

oh yes they are :) but be sure to check the actual photo too. You may have to go to the Garda Station to see it. There are people out there on false plates which just might be same as yours. Do this especially if there is any doubt in your mind as to the time or date of the incident, but If you have been caught to rights just put your hands up to it :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

AFAIK there are not speed cameras in the tunnel , there are however 420 cameras attached to the vehicle management system (VMS).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kbannon wrote:
    modea wrote:
    no, it's not sent registered post. Well, mine weren't anyways.
    Altreab wrote:
    oh yes they are :)
    so are they or aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No they are not. Hence a a court case in waterford last year.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/1123/motoring.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

kbannon wrote:
    so are they or aren't they?
    It's been 4 years since I got two tickets. Neither came registered.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Checked today , no fixed speed cams in the DPT .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

So the only way that they could possibly prosecute would be:
    1. Unmarked car pulling you over
    2. Sending the video from the safety cameras to the gardai and working out the speed between them..

Honestly, it's a bit nuts that they dont have fixed speed cameras in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭what_car

sharkman wrote:
    Checked today , no fixed speed cams in the DPT .

hi dont think there are speed cameras there, no painted stripes on the road,
    and no visible speed cameras, i dont think there are any there........

i went through the tunnel sth bound heading for the boat show in rds in feb,
    and went through quicker than i should........no ticket in post......

i doubt there are speed cameras there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but does anyone know if there is a speed camera or cameras in the tunnel now? This article says that a camera will be installed in each direction by the end of 2008 due to the amount of racing going on through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

impr0v wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping an old thread, but does anyone know if there is a speed camera or cameras in the tunnel now? This article says that a camera will be installed in each direction by the end of 2008 due to the amount of racing going on through it.

Well i drive through it twice a month and i have gone a bit over the speed limit in there and not once have i got a ticket, i was in there once, and a guy in a merc was horsing through it, then the operators came over the radio and told the guy to slow down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement