Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 year old refuses to wear glasses

Options
  • 10-03-2007 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

my eight year old son was prescribed glasses five weeks ago to be worn at all times. he wears them when hes watching tv or playstation but i cant get him to wear them outside home at all. hes afraid people will slag him. nothing i say makes him realise that this doesnt matter. ive tried threats, blackmail and bribery but to no avail. it feels like every conversation i have with him is about glasses and i dont want to spend all this time at loggerheads with him.

none of us wear glasses which doesnt help ( although my older daughter spotted the designer glasses at the opticians and now she wants to have her eyes tested).

anyways can anyone give me any advice how to make him feel more comfortable about wearing them?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If he is so dead against it.. i would assume someone in his class gets bullied about their glasses... hell perhaps even by your son... so he knows what will happen if he shows up wearing glasses.

not much you can do, just try get him to take them with him just in case he needs to wear them for something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

With one of my older brothers I think our mother asked the teachers to make sure he always wore his glasses in classes, and it worked. Your son might be annoyed with you in the short term, but it's preferable to potentially developing a reading problem or causing further strain on his eyesight by not wearing the glasses. Obviously his willingness to wear them would be preferable, but if not I think the best decision might be to sort out a scheme between yourself and his teachers to make sure he does!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Depends on the sitch, though. If he has to wear them at all times to see, that's his own decision. If he has to wear them at all times to make some desired *change* in his sight - well, it's still his own decision, but you can and should influence him.

Maybe you might clarify this with the opthalmologist first off?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

I would ask for the teacher to encourage him.

My daughter 7 when the doctor said she had to get glasses she cried and made it very clear she wouldnt wear them. I sent them into school with her and alerted the teacher she had them who in turn encouraged her to wear them........that was nine months ago now i cant get them off her have to check eah night she not wearing them in bed wont go anywhere without them.

Once they start wearing them they realise how much better they can see with them

hope this helps a little and good luck

Advertisement