Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating Lengthy Sustain

Options
  • 10-03-2007 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what technique/effects are used to create an almost indefinate sustain. I have an Epiphone Les Paul with stock pickups.

Here's an example from Richie Kavanagh-lookalike and expert face-puller Gary Moore at about 2:37:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWVTqr6EgWk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

hotter pickups can add more sustain, but a lot of its down to wood and the hardware too. little things like the saddles and nut can have an impact. But i've found it's nearly more cost effective to buy a better guitar rather than increase the sustain on say a low end type guitar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Pretty sure Gary uses a sustainer switch for Parisienne Walkways sustain.

Try a booster into a distortion box for a distorted sustain (think Slash during November Rain)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've sustainiac in my guitar, and a patch in my GT-Pro will which also hold a note indefinitely (But sounds false). The sustainiac is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

compression. the louder the signal the longer it takes to fade out, so compression brings the really loud naturally sustaining sound down to a listenable level and when it drops below the threshold the compression stops working and the note naturally fades out much later then it would have without the compression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I'm only guessing but I'd say plenty of volume and gain and Gary's superb technique. Shame about the face-pulling alright!

Advertisement