Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping storage seperate from Gaming PC?

Options
  • 10-03-2007 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be building a new Gaming PC in the coming months and am wondering whether I should keep everything in one, or seperate my build into two seperate builds with one being purely used for gaming and the other purely for storage.

If I was to split it up, then I'd have to buy IDE hard drives for the storage PC (I'm intending on using my old PC for storage) as it doesn't even have SATA. The idea would be to keep it connected to the network 24/7.

If I were to use my new gaming PC for both gaming and storage then I would be able to splash out on slightly better hardware. Would doing this, bearing in mind that I'd have other people leeching from me (including an XBOX Media Center) have much of an impact on the performance of the gaming PC?

Proposed Build for Gaming PC:
    -AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Socket AM2 1MB, BOXED w/fan
    -MSI K9N Ultra-2F, nForce 570, Socket-AM2 ,DDR2, 2xGbLAN, ATX, PCI-Ex16 -PC5300 DDR2 2048MB Kit w/two matched Value Select 1024MB
    -Samsung SpinPoint T133 400GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
    -HIS Radeon X1650XT 256MB GDDR3, IceQ, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/Tv-Out/HDCP, Retail

If I were to use it for storage then I would be adding 2x1TB HDD drives to it and if I were to split it up then I'd buy 2x750GB IDE drives for the old pc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

ok if i were u i would throw my old pc beside the tv and use it as a media center.

for the new pc:
    get core duo a e6400 or e6600
    a cheap 965p board
    250gb hd drive as u will be buying large ide ones for ur media centre.
    8800gts 320mb/640mb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

If I were to use my new gaming PC for both gaming and storage then I would be able to splash out on slightly better hardware. Would doing this, bearing in mind that I'd have other people leeching from me (including an XBOX Media Center) have much of an impact on the performance of the gaming PC?

Big time.

For what you want, def have the old machine as the media server.

Keep your new machine seperate just for gaming.

A radeon X1650XT is a bit weak for gaming.

As suggested by Awhir have a look at an Nvidia 8800GTS for circa €300.

Bare minimum you sould look at in gfx cards would be a X1950 Pro to get half dacent performance in a game.

Also def have a look at the intel stuff, it is faster than AMD's in general at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd just get a separate cheap NAS box - something like this: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=327810 - and put some big disks in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I was thinking of that, but that would be €200 that could be better spent. I could have up to 4xIDE drives using my old PC which wouldn't cost an extra penny for me. Granted it might use more power and therefore cost more money via ESB bills, but I don't think that justifies spending €200 extra.

Advertisement