Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

musical phonemes

Options
  • 10-03-2007 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

I am doing a project in song without language (lilting, scatting, etc) and I am trying to analyse which phonemes are easy to sing and which are not. Does anyone know where I can find resources on this kind of thing? I am hoping there would be pronunciation guides for opera singers and that kind of thing but I imagine there must also have been linguistic studies done on sounds that people find easily pronouncable/singable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

JaneHudson wrote:
    I am doing a project in song without language (lilting, scatting, etc) and I am trying to analyse which phonemes are easy to sing and which are not. Does anyone know where I can find resources on this kind of thing? I am hoping there would be pronunciation guides for opera singers and that kind of thing but I imagine there must also have been linguistic studies done on sounds that people find easily pronouncable/singable.

Would it not depend on what languages they speak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I was thinking that might also be a good angle to investigate. I think stuff like "tra la la" or "la la la" would be common to several languages though. (I found a bit of it in French opera at any rate.) Then once you are listening to Irish trad lilting you get sounds like "skithery-idle-dootle-dum" coming in there that I think would present problems to people who do not speak English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

JaneHudson wrote:
    I was thinking that might also be a good angle to investigate. I think stuff like "tra la la" or "la la la" would be common to several languages though. (I found a bit of it in French opera at any rate.) Then once you are listening to Irish trad lilting you get sounds like "skithery-idle-dootle-dum" coming in there that I think would present problems to people who do not speak English.

probably the early Irish trad singers didn't speak English tho. Interesting project anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I find it much easier to sing in Italian than English because Italian words nearly all end in vowels and it's so much less gutteral so the sound comes out nicer.

Advertisement