Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help! USB devices not recognised unless plugged in at boot-up

• 10-03-2007 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite P10-804 laptop running Windows XP Pro SP2. It's got 3 built-in USB ports - which I have a problem with...

They're not recognising any USB devices that I plug into them UNLESS the device was plugged in when the laptop was booting up.

Has anyone any idea why this would happen and/or how I can sort it out?

Cheers,

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you go into device manager click on the computer and refresh does it pick them up again

can't remember the service that (re)detects USB on the fly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It doesn't pick them up then, no... but it does if I reboot.

(Although if I then unplug and plug back in the device while windows is loaded, it doesn't pick them back up again until the next reboot)

I'm thinking it's probably a USB drivers thing, but I'm not really sure... there's no "!" or "?" in Device Manager - everything appears to be OK...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Have you tried removing the usb controllers from device manager and letting windows reinstall them automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

NeoRox wrote:
    Have you tried removing the usb controllers from device manager and letting windows reinstall them automatically.
    Yes, tried that. When I did it, it also detected the USB devices (including a 2GB USB key) and they worked there and then.

I then unplugged the USB Key and plugged it back in and it didn't work... until the next reboot (basically it went back to the way it was...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Are different devices regularly plugged into different ports eg. usb key in one port then took out and extenal hdd plugged in. if so the ports are confused, the only solution i've ever found for this was a format,maybe this is not your exact situation but I think that could be your problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement