Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista Licence

• 10-03-2007 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

If I buy vista for a pc and the pc breaks down in a year,
    Can I install it on another machine or am I screwed ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Depends... do you mean Retail or OEM?
    you can on retail but not (technically) on OEM (hence price difference).
    Of course MS will probably let it slide if you just tell them you upgraded your motherboard as it died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks saruman ,I'll keep that in mind.
    I was going to go for the ulitmate oem ,maybe I should wait and buy a complete new machine with vista so. Had one planned for june/july.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Saruman wrote:
    Of course MS will probably let it slide if you just tell them you upgraded your motherboard as it died.
    When you ring up to activate windows are you talking to a microsoft employee ?

Or just an outsourced call centre staffed by non-microsoft employees, and if so does what they say outweigh the EULA you have agreed to ??

As for the spirit of the law, lets not forget that microsoft originally intended for Retail VISTA to have ONE motherboard change, but had to back down from that.

With OEM reactivation on a different motherboard only applies if the motherboard was replaced under warrantly by the PC manufacturer. yes it sucks big time, but microsoft have billions in the bank because of it.

In the early days the microsoft license cost 3-5% of the cost of a computer, now it's far higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

OEM's are probably best bought with new machines then ,getting the maximum from the licence.
    Full versions are best bought for existing machines ,so you can re register the licence??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I've rang the Microsoft phone line to activate, the person I spoke with had what sounded like an Indian accent. They asked me questions like: "Why are you installing Windows XP?" and "Do you have Windows XP on any other PC?" I was asked for the Product Key on the side on the PC then given an activation code. It was all very quick and easy. :) I think they were reading from a script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

My understanding was that you cannot just buy an OEM licence. You must buy it with a new machine? And the licence stays with that machine.

Paddyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Paddyo wrote:
    My understanding was that you cannot just buy an OEM licence. You must buy it with a new machine? And the licence stays with that machine.

Paddyo
    As far as I know, you can buy an OEM licence with any piece of hardware (eg a mouse) and technically it must remain with the hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

komplett does not even require this any more :D
    Recently i was asked to reactivate XP home on my media centre because i put in another hard drive. What i mean by that is, i stuck in a hard drive just to copy stuff from it to my main hard drive, so i stuck it on the cdrom IDE cable.
    Anyway when i booted back up windows said i had to activate again, i left it till i was done with the transfer and everything was back to normal... then i tried online and was told my key was activated too many times so i stopped that and did it on the phone.
    All that happened was after i entered my ID the computer voice asked me questions which ended "did i replace the motherboard?" and i said no and then it gave me my code. Did not even have to speak to anyone.

Advertisement