Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stokes dropped again

• 10-03-2007 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

4 minutes late for the bus to Barsnley so Keane left him and a keeper behind, 2nd time he has been dropped for being late.

I like keanes idea of just dropping players rather than fining them as money doesnt affect the player not playing does :)

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

KdjaCL wrote:
    4 minutes late for the bus to Barsnley so Keane left him and a keeper behind, 2nd time he has been dropped for being late.

I like keanes idea of just dropping players rather than fining them as money doesnt affect the player not playing does :)

kdjac

You'd expect Keane of all people to show them who's boss anyway. Although didn't the original resentment of McCarthy start because he was late for a bus in America one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

There's rumours that Keane isn't best pleased with Stokes' attitude to the club or training as well. Not to mention he's been spotted gracing many of Wearside's betting offices in his spare time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

This is actually the 3rd time he's been dropped I think. Apparantly he wasn't injured when they said he was for the Sheffield Wednesday game. Hysen was the other player dropped for today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Funny I was reading an article last week where keane was praising his attitude at the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

There's rumours that Keane isn't best pleased with Stokes' attitude to the club or training as well. Not to mention he's been spotted gracing many of Wearside's betting offices in his spare time.

If that's true it's a bit of a pity because I read his article in the Star every Monday and he seems like a sensible lad with a good professional attitude.

As for the betting, I honestly don't see the fuss about footballers blowing a couple of hundred quid, they can afford it. I remember when Terry was spotted putting £500 on a horse. Mourinho's answer was along the lines of "Betting on horses is part of life in England and Terry putting that amount is like the average Joe sticking a tenner on". I'd much rather a player on my team having a few bets as a hobby as long as it doesn't get out of control rather than pissing it up in nightclubs with a match coming up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I have to say fair play to Keane for dropping players over lateness. It's rare that a manager would be willing to drop first team players like that but it sends out a good message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,079 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

yeah, its funny, Stokes gets dropped by Keane for being 4 minutes late for a bus, meanwhile Anton Ferdinand doesn't get dropped by Curbishly for lying about his grandmother, getting time off, flying to america and getting pissed at a birthday.

No wonder seems to be no respect for Curbs from the players! Its nice to see someone treating players like they're not invincible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Getting off with his Gran while pissed eh?

I'd drop him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

jank wrote:
    Funny I was reading an article last week where keane was praising his attitude at the club
    Well I did say that it was a rumour. Having said that, a few Mackems are worried he'll turn out like the other Irishman who recently left the club, Sean Thornton. Looked to be a very handy player at one point, languishing in League 1 with Doncaster Rovers now. Shame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Thornton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Well I did say that it was a rumour. Having said that, a few Mackems are worried he'll turn out like the other Irishman who recently left the club, Sean Thornton.
    No chance. Thornton could do great things with a ball, there's loads like him. There's also poor players that can read the game so well (like Wenger and Mourinho I suppose). There's others like Diego Forlan that have those 2 but confidence can turn them into a poor player. There's doubts over whether someone like McGeady will be a great player but I think it's an absolute cert that Stokes will make it. He's cocky, extremely intelligient and has the ability. He's getting punished over minor things but if you read his column in the Star he'll learn. He's only 18 and Keane himself was a lot worse even in his 20's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Keane should knock any attitude out of him anyway.

It is funny alright because, as mentioned above, Keane had his original row with McCarthy when he was late for the Ireland team bus and the entire bus had to wait for him. He talks about it in his autobiography.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭dodgey69

Lemlin wrote:
    Keane should knock any attitude out of him anyway.

It is funny alright because, as mentioned above, Keane had his original row with McCarthy when he was late for the Ireland team bus and the entire bus had to wait for him. He talks about it in his autobiography.

Keane was late for the bus alright, but it wasnt when they were preparing for a game which is the big difference. Stokes in my eyes is nothing but a flash in the pan who seems to have his head firmly up his own a$$. he will quickly slide down the leagues and back to bohs or whoever unless he gets the finger out quick smart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

football365 has the story on mediawatch today.

and yes, apparently keano was late for the bus, along with steve 'i can manage an international team, im full of experience me' staunton were having a pint.

4 minutes late is a bit harsh if true! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

may seem like a stupid thing to point out but a manager has to consider the bigger picture.they were on their way to a game and they couldnt afford to be late. 4 minutes might actually have a bearing on if a team makes kick off or not.

that said it was rather poor of stokes and i hope it isnt a sign that he is not dependable

Advertisement