Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What song shall we cover for our March project (poll)

Options
  • 08-03-2007 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

[merged threads]
    Okay, we could spend the month throwing around song ideas. Let's do a poll on what has already been suggested already below. If you think you have the perfect song and it's not on the list....tough! Too late!

Judas101: I know you mentioned a few Joy Division songs there but I've just picked Love will Tear Us Apart as being the most translatable to different genres, if you know what I mean. For the Nirvana song I've done the same.

What song shall we cover for our March project? 1 vote

Teenage Kicks by The Undertones
    0%
    Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana
    0%
    This Is by Aslan
    100%
    DancingRainDrop 1 vote
    Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

How about taking a well known song and covering it in a different genre? Just heard that French band on the radio doing their folksy version of Teenage Kicks. It should be a simple song, and you could even cross genres. Select a tempo, and go from there.

I suggest a cover of Aslan - This is.

And as usual I'll probably be too busy to actually contribute :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

squibs wrote:

I don't think I know that song but I'll check it out. Sounds pretty interesting to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

squibs wrote:
    How about taking a well known song and covering it in a different genre? Just heard that French band on the radio doing their folksy version of Teenage Kicks. It should be a simple song, and you could even cross genres. Select a tempo, and go from there.

Did you hear Nouvelle Vague?? They rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

@Telepaul - that's the band that were on the radio this morning covering Teenage Kicks.

@Frobisher - I'd be surprised if you didn't know that song. It's Aslans biggest song. I suggested it because it was popular and easy chords. Maybe we should pick a different song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

i'd be interested in doing this.

maybe not said aslan song tho

• Advertisement

I'm into this. If anyone has a suggestion for other songs feel free to throw them out and we can all decide on one in the next few days. I have to say that I think Teenage Kicks as mentioned above could be pretty perfect song for it. It couldn't be simpler but it's strong enough to be adaptaple. Any thoughts?

I have a terrible habit of lounging up Love Will Tear Us Apart. I think we should pick an easy enough song. For some reaosn Nirvana springs to mind...I dunno, I'll definetely contribute this time though.

yeah a joy division tune could be could. not difficult technically and theres scope for messing around with.

transmission and she's lost control spring to mind immediately for me

judas101 wrote:
    yeah a joy division tune could be could. not difficult technically and theres scope for messing around with.

transmission and she's lost control spring to mind immediately for me

We'd need a good bassist. Hook is the man!

any other ideas?

• Advertisement

Okay, we could spend the month throwing around song ideas. Let's do a poll on what has already been suggested already. If you think you have the perfect song and it's not on the list....tough! Too late!

Judas101: I know you mentioned a few Joy Division songs there but I've just picked Love will Tear Us Apart as being the most translatable to different genres, if you know what I mean. For the Nirvana song I've done the same.

right, i went for love will tear us apart but reckon it'd be a tricky one to do anything original with.

i'll have a shot tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

joy division...

everything else is just pants.

well, not pants, just for doing a cover of it.. i rekon the other songs have been rinced, a joy div cover should go down nicely, especially something thats a good bit off the origional version

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i think out of those four joy division is 3 streets ahead, no contest really. don't do the ian curtis voice though..

Ian Curtis = me + Antares Autotune 5 :D Worst sound ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I'll give it a bash this month, along with a mate of mine who I'll try to get to post.

I went with Love Will Tear Us Apart aswell, same reason as most people I think, lots to play around with compared to the other three.

This is gonna be fun guys!

Well it looks like we have a winner...

A couple of points:
    * Have fun with it. Even if you think you could do better or it isn't good enough or sumfink, don't worry about it. Just post it, by getting CONSTRUCTIVE (!!) feedback from each other we'll all learn and get better.
    * I'll set up a page that features some samples of our monthly projects as time goes on. Probably as part of the boards Biki, although I might do an external page hosting songs and links to our boards profiles and the recording forum. But this will take contributions so please get the music in!!

..... Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division. 1.......2......3.......GO!!!

I can host some stuff if needs be frobisher, give me a PM if you want FTP details.

I can host some stuff if needs be frobisher, give me a PM if you want FTP details.

Nice one Niall. Will keep it in mind. :D

• Advertisement

Should we decide on a tempo? What BPM?

TelePaul wrote:
    Should we decide on a tempo? What BPM?

I was thinking about that. Considering that we haven't planned on joining up our mixes or individual parts (we haven't, have we?!) I think that tempo and BPM is too big a creative area to give up.

What do others think?

If everyone is doing there own thing with it it'd be stupid to have a fixed bmp right?

Oh sorry I thought this would be a collaborative thing, didn't think we were doing it solo my bad. Okay I'm done:

http://glasshouserecordings.bebo.com

Okay I didn't do that just now, that was about 3 years back on Cubasis VST (shudders) 16 bit, 8 tracks, no midi! It's bollox I know, but it reminded me of how far I've come.

Ahh Hungerstrike, love that song.

I'm a bit confused myself...I thought we'd be all doing our own thing? Or is it pass the musical parcel?

Ahh Hungerstrike, love that song.

I'm a bit confused myself...I thought we'd be all doing our own thing? Or is it pass the musical parcel?

yeah it's a cool tune. Uhmm I don't think it's collaborative, everyone for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Should try something collaborative for the laugh! I'd have a bash of hungerstrike with some others.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭fuse

Nice one,
    gonna start working on a version of this, just getting to grips with cubase & vst's, will be good practice for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'm doing a straight cover, here's what I have so far :\/

http://www.it-netsoc.ie/~pconnolly/love.mp3

I've only really started recording about 10 days ago so be gentle :/

All done with GT-8 + Midi (Bass done with guitar through octave pedal)

• Advertisement

Giblet wrote:
    I'm doing a straight cover, here's what I have so far :\/

http://www.it-netsoc.ie/~pconnolly/love.mp3

I've only really started recording about 10 days ago so be gentle :/

All done with GT-8 + Midi (Bass done with guitar through octave pedal)

Links broken....but this is something I really wanna hear!! Love hearing peoples early recordings! You're not in UCD no?

Advertisement