Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What song shall we cover for our March project (poll)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Link works for me? :/

I'm in Tallaght

Here's another link just in case

http://www.sleevesmahoney.com/love.mp3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Very good Giblet :)
    Loved the bass and keys. Thought the drums needed a bit of work though. They're too much 'in the pocket', sound a bit synthetic and the hats are too loud. If you can improve on them, you've got it nailed. Now who can do a good Ian Curtis impersonation? Or you could just sing it straight and drop an octave with a pitch shifter :)

I've updated the drums now :>

Ok full version up, the song is a bit boring though, would love to hear someone sing over it though!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Very nice Giblet - a couple of things:
    The high register strings seem a litle loud at times, maybe wait and see how it sounds when the vocals go in.
    And (being completely an*l here) sometimes there are 16s going on the hats while there's a bit of a snare roll. A real two armed drummer couldn't play that.

Any chance you'd give us a rundown on the host, synths and f/x used on this? For somebody who just got started on recording, it's incredible.

• Advertisement

Haha, yeah you are right about the hi-hats alright, I was going to lift it for each snare but I was too lazy. The synth does get a bit high alright, that's layering over the octave above, and increasing the velocity each time. I could put a slight fade down on it.

O.K I'll go through each step (with more detail than required)

Ableton Live 6 used for everything and I have an EMU1212M with a GT-8 connected digitally

The main guitar is done on the GT-8 (default patch 68-1) Strat middle pickup, light compression and Stereo EQ to fill it out a little.

The high stabbing guitar at the start is the GT-8 acoustic effect with the bridge pickup for clarity, and some compression again (My least favourite part, would have preferred acoustic).

Bass is GT-8 again (82-4 fretless octave) and is just straight using neck pickup, no other effects. This effect is pretty useless for most things, but does well on Hook type bass lines as you you play fast and don't need much low end.

Drums done using Impulse (Ellington). Basically I recorded a straight beat (as heard in the earlier recording) and added in on the fly (or just looped a section while figuring it out). Added some reverb, not too wet and messed with the decay on the snare and tightened up the bass attack and panned the hats and snare to l/r respectively

The synth was just the cheapest sounding one I could find with single note lead (some doubling up later to match the real song, even though it's just audible)
    Settings:
    strings.png

The end is changed slightly to match the faint guitar heard in the real version, I just brought that melody forward and changed the bass to relieve boredom ;)

So yeah, you could easily copy this exactly using a GT-8 and having your levels sorted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

To be honest Paul, I think that sounds really ****ing good. I'm well impressed.

Thanks Ronan :)

Please don't laugh, just a quick guide track I did, the finished one will be more polished.

http://www.sleevesmahoney.com/awyeah.mp3

hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

I'm gonna jump on the band wagon and see what happens! Wish me luck!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Guide track!?

Resists splurging on keyboard with laughter ... hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

right, i'm pretty much finished mt attempt now (a bit late i know)

i lash it up somewhere in the next day or two and let ye all know.

i went in a slightly different direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I've been up to my eyes recording other stuff. Will try and get something done over the weekend. How are otehrs getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I still plan on doing this, just finding it hard to get the time with the drummer and bassist, hopefully within the next week.

Plan is to have a completely acoustic version, none of your electronic carry on, with the melody played hauntingly on...milkbottles. Yes. I'm gonna have fun miking them bad boys up. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Right well I just haven't had the time to do it yet but i was thinking of doing a country acustic version for the laugh, should be up soon!

Advertisement