Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what suberb to live in liverpool

Options
  • 10-03-2007 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hello , was thinking of taking a job in liverpool u.k , i think the company is near the john lennon airport .. anyway .. Has anyone ever lived in liverpool ? what is the best place to live thats not to far from the city centre? the area where i think my job will be is called speke .. anyone been there?
    i went to liverpool recently , the city centre is really nice, although i was suprised that some of it is very run down , when you are at the housing estates near the city centre, they are all abondaned ?? why is that , went looking for a place in dublin last year,someone was passing off their shed in the back garden(seriously) with eletricity now , as accomadtion , was suprised that so many perfectly good, if slightly old fashioned houses where abandoned in liverpool. if that were dublin,some landlord would get people to live in them. was there in the night in city centre around lime st station, sat night after a match , thought it was a bit rough , more so than dublin, or any other english city .. even london .. maybe was because of match ?
    Has anyone experence of living there , or know how a place that is quite famous is actully very run down in some places ? i like it , but that made me wonder a bit ..... thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Abroad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Hello , was thinking of taking a job in liverpool u.k , i think the company is near the john lennon airport .. anyway .. Has anyone ever lived in liverpool ? what is the best place to live thats not to far from the city centre? the area where i think my job will be is called speke .. anyone been there?
    i went to liverpool recently , the city centre is really nice, although i was suprised that some of it is very run down , when you are at the housing estates near the city centre, they are all abondaned ?? why is that , went looking for a place in dublin last year,someone was passing off their shed in the back garden(seriously) with eletricity now , as accomadtion , was suprised that so many perfectly good, if slightly old fashioned houses where abandoned in liverpool. if that were dublin,some landlord would get people to live in them. was there in the night in city centre around lime st station, sat night after a match , thought it was a bit rough , more so than dublin, or any other english city .. even london .. maybe was because of match ?
    Has anyone experence of living there , or know how a place that is quite famous is actully very run down in some places ? i like it , but that made me wonder a bit ..... thanks

Hi , my own impressinos of liverpool from living here . Liverpool city centre is currently going to a regereration period with a massive building project currently going on . The neighbourhoods near and around the city centre do look very run down and drab , but there are also plans to regeneratve and improve on them . I suspect it wont be long before they go the same way as Dublin and be scooped up by big buissness investors for office space (some already have ) or landlords waiting for the boom to take off. .
    The Speke area you mention has a large industrial estate as well as a housing estate which is mainly a working class area. If you drive a few miles out of the airport passing Speke you will come into the the more affulent ,or middle class areas such as Menlove avenue ,Woolton , Aigburth , Childwall and Queens drive. These areas are popular with professionals,working people and students alike .Their has also being luxery appartments recently built around the city centre area,some of which would be taken up by the citys 2000 student population.

The Queens drive carriageway runs all the way from speke airport right tru the heart of suburbin liverpool to the north side of the city, and is one of the largest carriageways in north west england.

There does tend to be more of an tense athmosphere in the city on match days specialy if its a derby game or( man utd are in town ) ,as to whether its rougher on your average saturday evening , i would say about the same as any city centre in the uk .

.Liverpool has suffered from years of neglect but beside the city centre project , their is also a 20,000 seater concert venue being built by the albert dock , and a massive waterfront project that if given the go ahed will be comparable with NY and other major citys waterfronts . The city is also the capital of culture in 08 .

(Liverpool FC are also planning to build a new stadium and move from Anfield ,in 08/9 to a new stadium just a a short distance away . ) .
    Quote csm -
    haven't been in liverpool in donkeys but it's a big up-and-coming city with literally billions being spent on it. think it's the biggest civic project in europe at the moment (even eclipsing ballymun!).

The links below will give you more precise information on Liverpool regeneration projects.

Cheers ,,,

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/tm_headline=regeneration-breathing-new-life-into-liverpool%26method=full%26objectid=17988852%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/tm_headline=quantum-leap-for-region%2Ds-growth%26method=full%26objectid=17988850%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/tm_headline=moving-towards-a-better-city%26method=full%26objectid=17988849%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/tm_headline=a-new-sense-of-optimism%26method=full%26objectid=17988844%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/capitalofculture/2008unveiled/tm_headline=concert-is-set-to-rock-the-world%26method=full%26objectid=18056798%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

Advertisement