Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Junk yard type places? + Want to buy a mini

Options
  • 10-03-2007 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

I might aswell say this now, I know next to nothing about cars.. butttttt.... my friend was telling me that their are junkyard type places where you can buy cars or car parts of cars that had been written off etc.. If these places do exist in ireland where are they? preferably around dublin area ;).....

also! im looking to buy a muckered old Mini, in tatters basically(so i can fix it up myself), would like to pay sub 200, do you guys think this is possible or has the car become too much of a fad now that trying to get one that cheap is hoping for too much? :o

cheers for any help :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

If you know nothing about cars then I wouldn't bother buying a trashed one and trying to do it up. If you know nothing about cars then why would you want to do this? Surely restoring a car is done by someone who loves cars as it's a hard and time consuming process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

i understand that, but i wont be alone :D i have a good friend whos like a car encyclopedia helping me and il do it mainly for the experience :]

you do things to learn more about it, are you saying i should never do it because i dont know much? then i would never learn :]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

DAEDULUS wrote:
    i understand that, but i wont be alone :D i have a good friend whos like a car encyclopedia helping me and il do it mainly for the experience :]

you do things to learn more about it, are you saying i should never do it because i dont know much? then i would never learn :]

Buy something half decent.

The cost of restoring a car is generally many multiples of what it is worth. Unless you have something a) worth lots or b) extraordinarly rare, it makes no sense.

I have the back axle of a mini buried up a field somewhere. I am sure there is a door in with it. You can have them both for €200. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Scrap Minis are too expensive anymore - even if you found a half decent one it will cost €1,000 and it will cost hundreds more to put it right. I have rebuilt five Minis and they are hell on earth to get them right. Buy a MkI Golf, or a Renault 5 or a Citroen AX and learn your skills on it instead. When you have €2000 to spare, go to England, buy a reasonable Mini and spend €2000 doing it up into a really good car.

Any scrap yard will sell 'field cars' for 100-200 sheets. I have a lovely '91 Micra you can have for €50.... No rust/NCT/clutch/compression on #3 cylinder/power but you will learn everything you need to know just getting it through an NCT

'cptr

Advertisement