Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Classico Barcelona and Real Madrid Tonight SS1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I bet it ends 0-0. :D Nice weekend with Inter-AC and Celtic-Rangers tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Beers at the ready! Viva Barca!!

0-1 Real. Capello breathes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

and it was scored from outside the box by ruud!!!!!

1-1 Messi. Nicely done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ha, whoever isn't watching this is really missing out.
    Peno, with Ruud to score I'm sure :)
    But who knows :P

1-2 Real. Van Nistelrooy penno. Oleguer you muppet!

2-1 ruud peno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

just posted over in the foreign satellite section

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=52886879#post52886879

this match is free to air in HD on 5w, looks amazing

2-2 Messi. Get in there!

• Advertisement

2-2 messi, wat a game

Oh this is a good game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Get in Messi

Have 3 quid on him at 100-1 to score a hatric :eek:

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Well he just missed a gold plated chance.

Great first half from Oleguer, gives away a penno, then gets sent off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Only just in, sounds like a cracker, please tell me it's only HT?

Collie D wrote:
    Only just in, sounds like a cracker, please tell me it's only HT?

Never mind, semingly endless ad break just finished :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

That was the most insane half of football I think I have ever seen. Tragic really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

god ****ing damn it. forgot about it

3-2 Madrid

• Advertisement

Just when I was thinking the goals had dries up.

Barca 2 Madrid 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

That goal was coming, although the way Valdez was playing it might never have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

LOL, there's always one.

Who doesn't love football :)
    What a comeback, again and again and again.
    Barca really did incredibly to get something out of this game, in defence they were shocking, Real really shoulda put it away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Messsssssssssssssssssssssi 100-1 !!!!!!

Opr

Go collect your money, opr. Messi hat-trick to make it 3-3 in injury time. Skips past two or three tackles (not that commited ones in fairness) and a perfect shot across the keeper, such a pity we didn't see more of this lad in the World Cup - a joy to watch on the ball

opr wrote:
    Messsssssssssssssssssssssi 100-1 !!!!!!

Opr

The beers are on you! :)

Pissed off I missed the first half. No Premiership today but two great games on TV, the Middlesbrough - Man U was a nice piece of eye-candy too

great 3rd goal. pissed off i missed 70 odd minutes of it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

opr wrote:
    Get in Messi

Opr

!!!!

opr wrote:
    Get in Messi

Opr
    Well done mate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

opr wrote:
    Get in Messi

Opr
    nice one:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Fabulous game, about time we had a match that lived up to the description 'Grand'. What a performance by the two keepers. Casillias as impressive as ever, Valdes did his Spain chances no harm at all. Messi is a mighty little player to watch, far better than Madrids eqivalent Robinhio whos little more than a show pony. He will be moved next season.

The commentators made a good point about Barca, they have some of the best players in the world but some the biggest egos too. If Rijkaard remains, some of them will have to go with Eto leading the queue. Capello will surely be given a few bob to leave Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Crackin' game. First half was insane! Capello will be tearing his hair out, Real should have been far more positive when Barca went a man down. The win was there for the taking.

Very well done opr ! Great bet to win :D

DaBreno wrote:
    Fabulous game, about time we had a match that lived up to the description 'Grand'.
    If premiership teams all decided to play 3 at the back like Barca we'd see much better games in England. It's not gonna happen though. :) I doubt Rijkaard will continue with that formation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

DaBreno wrote:
    If Rijkaard remains, some of them will have to go with Eto leading the queue.
    It's almost certain that he will leave, he's said as much. I can't say I blame him, the team is rapidly turning into a circus now that Laporta is interfering from above.

To be honest, other than Eto'oo and Ronaldinho, the team is fairly stable.

I hope United go for Eto if he does get sold, really great player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

PHB wrote:
    I hope United go for Eto if he does get sold, really great player.

So Do I. He's a headcase. Himself and Rooney would send Fergie into retirement. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Great game ,great entertainment,and what a contrast to the drab affair of the Utd-Liverpool derby last weekend.
    Havent enjoyed a match as much in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Going to watch the repeat now :D

kdjac

• Advertisement

Could be arsed watching the second half to be honest. It was an exciting match but it is sad that some of the best footballers in the world play for either of those teams at the moment. Against any sort of quality opposition or a tactically astute manager, both would be easily defeated. The pinacle of world football my ass. At least Real have an excuse for being pretty poor too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Could be arsed watching the second half to be honest. It was an exciting match but it is sad that some of the best footballers in the world play for either of those teams at the moment. Against any sort of quality opposition or a tactically astute manager, both would be easily defeated. The pinacle of world football my ass. At least Real have an excuse for being pretty poor too.

Odd point of view, you would rather see attacking players like Ronnie Messi etc in a team like Liverpool devoid of attacking impetus but plenty of tactical awareness and hard work.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Odd point of view, you would rather see attacking players like Ronnie Messi etc in a team like Liverpool devoid of attacking impetus but plenty of tactical awareness and hard work.

I would love to see players like Messi, Ronaldhinio and Eto' playing for a balanced team that can play good football that opens up the opposition while also being able to keep a clean sheet against an incredibly average Real team. In recent years, Arsenal are the perfect example of playing very good attacking football while also being able to work as a unit to defend and maintain a clean sheet.

Football is not just about attacking football. You have to play to your strengths but it is somewhat foolish abandoning some of the basic fundamentals of football in order to be able to say that you are an exciting team. Being the best is all about being able to get the balance right. Barcelona do not have the balance anywhere near right, gung ho springs to mind.

Messi, Ronaldhinio and Eto's are top quality players but it seems that the whole Barcelona set up is geared towards giving them what they want (the ball and all out attacking football) without expecting much back from them in return (like defending or hard work).

It is no coincidence that Valencia put Inter out (perceived as a better team) and Real and Barcelona were put out by Bayern and Liverpool respectively (both perceived as weaker teams). Fair enough, Inter are far more organised than Real or Barca and it is nearly an insult to use them to prove my point. As the great Johnny Giles will tell you, hard work, tactical awareness and good players will generally beat a lazy team who's onlty tactic is all out attack with world class players.

Jesus a relatively ok Liverpool team with an exceptional defence but who were incapable of keeping possession managed control a large portions of play over two legs and were more of a threat to Barca than Bara were to them.

As the great Johnny Giles will tell you, hard work, tactical awareness and good players will generally beat a lazy team who's onlty tactic is all out attack with world class players.

A balance is possible.
    A hard-working team will normally beat an unbalanced all out attackign team, but a balanced attacking team will normally win.
    Just look at Barca last year

You have to ask if someone like Ronaldo would be playing so well if he had to spend half the match tracking back. Ancelotti said 7 players should be enough to do the defending. The 3 attackers should stay forward and wait for the break. I know with Celtic they rarely get a chance to break as McGeady and Naka will be in their own half defending. Let the attackers have a break while the others are working hard, it works. ;)

Barca are a different story. I never rated Puyol or Marquez highly. Playing 3 at the back is never going to work.

PHB wrote:
    A balance is possible.
    A hard-working team will normally beat an unbalanced all out attackign team, but a balanced attacking team will normally win.
    Just look at Barca last year

I don't disagree, that was my point about Arsenal in recent years when they had the balance right. My point is that while that match last night was entertaining to watch, it was not exactly the pinacle of world football that some would like to think it it is. Certainly not right now anyway. Barca an excellent attacking team with an appalling defense and a lazy worth ethic.

eirebhoy wrote:
    You have to ask if someone like Ronaldo would be playing so well if he had to spend half the match tracking back.

This is what I meant about Messi etc. The team is nearly set up to make them look good. I don't mean that in a negative way as such but how can a very attacking minded and skilled player not excel in an environment like Barca where they have little or no responsibility to defend and the team play all out attack.

Going down a danagerous road with that argument though but its like comparing Gerard for Liverpool and Lampard at Chelsea for the last few years. There are so many arguments in favour and against both players

Advertisement