Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Absinthe

• 10-03-2007 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hey i had absinthe last night for the first time i had it with coke and it was one of the best drinks iv ever had . I was just wondering do any of you know where I can get some and im not going to spain or anywhere like that either . Can anyone help?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

The Celtic Whiskey Shop on Dawson st do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

last I checked higgins in clonskeagh had some, not sure if they still do. It was more than 60 euro though. You can expect that for absinthe here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

McHughs on the killbarrack road sell green absinthe. They also sell a polish Spirit thats 95% if you want a real hangover!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭kieranmcg1

jesus thats pretty dear alright but wonder if its worth it haha . the polish stuf there is a polish shop in the town might have some i wonder . hey are any of those places near dublin city centre . beacuse i am from donegal myself but im goin to dublin in a few weeks

The Absinthe in McHughs is 36.99 i think its not 60 euro anyway!

• Advertisement

hey thanks for the input guys can you tell me where these places are because i dont have a clu haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

irlmarc wrote:
    McHughs on the killbarrack road sell green absinthe. They also sell a polish Spirit thats 95% if you want a real hangover!!!

95 proof, perhaps. 95% would literally be toxic, undrinkable by non Russians and undoubtedly illegal for sale as a beverage. Industrial solvent, perhaps, aperitif? No.

theCzar wrote:
    95 proof, perhaps. 95% would literally be toxic, undrinkable by non Russians and undoubtedly illegal for sale as a beverage. Industrial solvent, perhaps, aperitif? No.

Cant find the exact drank but its something along this lines

http://www.appeti.de/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=95%25&x=0&y=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

you cant get anything over 50% here, thats why they dont sell sminoff blue anywhere

caff wrote:
    you cant get anything over 50% here, thats why they dont sell sminoff blue anywhere

Eh and wheres here??? Cause if thats Ireland your a little out of date!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

You can get alot of drinks in Ireland over 50% vol. including smirnoff blue (which is 45% volume). Chartreuse is 55% and Jack Daniels Silver Barrel is 50% and are both available in Ireland. With Spiritus however, as far as my knowledge serves me, was refused through customs at dublin airport because of its truely high 95% Abv. But, it does manage to slip through at Cork airport landing itself in one or two off licences in Ireland.

As far as this topic goes the green absinthe available in McHughs on the Killbarrack Road, Raheny and the Celtic Whiskey Store, Dawson Street, Dublin Ciy Centre isn't overly exspensive and has an Abv of 70%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Wow, I was wrong, 95%. I'm going to call McDowell and get this madness sorted out, perhaps he'll introduce that ban on all alcohol he's been itching for :D

Actually, now that I remember, TESCO of all people very occasionally stock a 70% absinthe, we had it in my off licence when I worked for them. Not altogether sure of the price. I remember the manager didn't like it being there at all, he was scared of it. Must slip some spirytus onto the shelves there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kieranmcg1 wrote:
    Hey i had absinthe last night for the first time i had it with coke and it was one of the best drinks iv ever had .
    If you think absinth is one of the best drinks you have tasted then I could suggest a few 1000 other drinks to try out. I have tasted many different brands, all of them vile.

Tesco did do it as mentioned, it is also in many bars in town. Most overpriced and containing very little thujone/wormwood (if any).

Smirnoff blue here is 45%, in many other countries it is 50%. This may be due to tax reasons. I know gordons gin dropped to 37.5% from 40% and lost sales. Everclear is a american vodka at 95%.
    95% would literally be toxic, undrinkable by non Russians and undoubtedly illegal for sale as a beverage. Industrial solvent, perhaps, aperitif? No.
    I am not russian and can drink vodka of 95%+ with no problem. 70-80% would be my preferred shot strength. I think in the UK it is available in chemists, not sure about over here. All alcohol is "toxic".

High strength spirits can be a fire hazard, the majority of vodkas are made at 95% and then diluted down. You can get "cask strength" whiskeys in some off licences, these can be quite high %. Cask strength is the strength it goes into the barrel at, it is also diluted down later to taste. Vodka & whiskey tasters will usually dilute spirits down a lot and warm them to discern the taste more.

95% vodkas make more sense ecomically, less packaging, less transport costs etc, also it allows you mixer to be less watered down.

thanks everyone for their help ill have to check all them places out . info was very much apriciated thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

irlmarc wrote:
    Eh and wheres here??? Cause if thats Ireland your a little out of date!!!!

I might well be :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Does anyone have any idea of the brand's of absinthe for sale around the offies? I was recently in Czech Republic and found out almost all the absinthe there is nothing like the real absinthe, just a green drink, that's about 70%. I got some in Paris that was only 50%, but actually was made the oldfashioned way, and had the real absinthe flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

rubadub wrote:

Tesco did do it as mentioned, it is also in many bars in town. Most overpriced and containing very little thujone/wormwood (if any).

Yeah i thought that it was the wormwood that was the reason people drink "real" absinthe. Does anyone know of any brands ( cheapish preferably) that doe teh "real " ,"old fashioned " Absinthe? id be really interested in trying it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

rubadub wrote:
    If you think absinth is one of the best drinks you have tasted then I could suggest a few 1000 other drinks to try out. I have tasted many different brands, all of them vile.

Smirnoff blue here is 45%, in many other countries it is 50%. This may be due to tax reasons. I know gordons gin dropped to 37.5% from 40% and lost sales. Everclear is a american vodka at 95%.

I am not russian and can drink vodka of 95%+ with no problem. 70-80% would be my preferred shot strength. I think in the UK it is available in chemists, not sure about over here. All alcohol is "toxic".

High strength spirits can be a fire hazard, the majority of vodkas are made at 95% and then diluted down. You can get "cask strength" whiskeys in some off licences, these can be quite high %. Cask strength is the strength it goes into the barrel at, it is also diluted down later to taste. Vodka & whiskey tasters will usually dilute spirits down a lot and warm them to discern the taste more.

95% vodkas make more sense ecomically, less packaging, less transport costs etc, also it allows you mixer to be less watered down.
    From a science point of view 95% alcohol would most definitely be toxic, there's no way they'd take the risk that someone wouldn't mix it thoroughly enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Paparazzo wrote:
    Does anyone have any idea of the brand's of absinthe for sale around the offies? I was recently in Czech Republic and found out almost all the absinthe there is nothing like the real absinthe, just a green drink, that's about 70%. I got some in Paris that was only 50%, but actually was made the oldfashioned way, and had the real absinthe flavour.

Foleys off license in Sligo sells one thats around 70%, (about the same in euros too though) it has the Absinthe lady on the label, I guess it would be reasonably authentic.Actually OP if you are from Donegal then a trip to Sligo wouldn't be as long as to Dublin and I imagine you would be around the town every now and again anyways?

• Advertisement

hey thanks guys oh and brianthebard im goin to dublin anyway for a concert so im hopin to get over to one of the offies in dublin to get a bottle thanks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ChainFireMetal

yeah i think that shop in dawsons street has black absinth at 85-90%vol. as for thurjone content unless you buy an antique bottle youre only gona get minimal amounts due to EU regulations. i think anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Last time I was in the Celtic Whiskey Shop they had 60% and 90% Poitín for sale, with big warnings saying "You MUST dilute this!!". When I was in Italy last I noticed, to my amazment, 100% alcohol for sale in Lidl (in the drinks section, not some sort of medical section)

:| wrote:
    From a science point of view 95% alcohol would most definitely be toxic, there's no way they'd take the risk that someone wouldn't mix it thoroughly enough
    Who is "they"?
    95% alcohol is legally available to millions of people on the planet.

When I was in Italy last I noticed, to my amazment, 100% alcohol for sale in Lidl (in the drinks section, not some sort of medical section)
    This was almost definitely 100 degrees proof, not %. So that is either 50% or 57% depending on the definition of proof used. Ethanol cannot be distilled to 100%, only to around 96%, it can be dehydrated to close to 100% but once the bottle is opened it absorbs moisture from the air and dilutes itself down to about 96% after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

this is the czech one , it is the ones the bums drink so i think they know best... it is very strong and the "ritual" needs to be done with every shot..

http://hillsabsinth.com/

you can get it on georges street about 70 bones, in prague for about 15 for the big bottle..

ronan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

ro1798 wrote:
    this is the czech one , it is the ones the bums drink so i think they know best... it is very strong and the "ritual" needs to be done with every shot..

http://hillsabsinth.com/

you can get it on georges street about 70 bones, in prague for about 15 for the big bottle..

ronan
    Wouldn't bother with it ro, check out this, it's alright if you want something really strong, but it's not the authentic stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

nice article, :eek: but i have a tried alot from france etc.. would like to get an real bottle from back in the day and try it.. the hills one have left me in seriously bad way...

also i think Absinthe is a younger persons drink... i am 26 and would not touch the stuff but back in the day...

in clubs in prague they make cocktails with the hills stuff, they are lethal..

ronan

one more thing, in a bar in a prague i found in the 90's called horse bar, they had a cocktail called "the horse drink", you could only have one and were asked to leave soon after because of the effects... wonder what was in that.. really dangerous stuff. anyone else have some?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Anyone know any places around the Galway area selling it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Anyone know any places around the Galway area selling it?

Harvest do a bottle think its €50+ and about 60abv,

Last time I was up north they sold la Feye(fairy, not sure about spelling) absinthe which has a quiet nice traditional flavour in tesco for about £20.

Although your generally just as well buying Pernod if your in Ireland and like the traditional absinthe flavour.

If you happen to be on the continent theirs very simply two concepts of absinthe,

there is Parisian or traditional absinthe, this is the herby flavoursome stuff, if your looking for wormwood and thurjon this is the most your gonna get and its really gonna be insignificant to the experience.

Then there is Bohemian absinthe, this is up for the whole “lets get ****ed up” market, and is often flavoured to reflect hits, comes in a variety of colours styles, and is often harsh. If you want this kind of absinthe but are in Ireland settle for Listerine.

Although I was brought back a very distinguished absinthe from Prague which prided itself on having a high Thurjon content, not sure if it make a difference but it had a citrusy flavour that set it a part from most other absinthes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I remember reading somewhere that there is no scientific method for measuring thujone content. And, of course, that you'll die of alcohol poisoning long before the thujone in any absinthe takes effect.

Totally agree with you on the Czech stuff, though I'd be inclined to go with Windowlene over Listerine as an appropriate alternative.

My preferred brand is Marí Mayans, from Ibiza, but yeah: the good ones are still basically high-alcohol pastis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

good for cocktails too,

Has anyone come across a strong green tea or a jump in tomb?

This is some serious grave-robbing. I don't even remember posting in this thread.

As mentioned, there's little point trying to consume thujone via absinthe, you would pass out from drunkenness before it would do anything. If you really don't believe this and don't want to fly to prague, you could at one point (maybe still?) get wormwood in "down to earth" on george's street and make your own by steeping it in vodka (there are some better recipes out there). Be warned, it tastes worse than you could imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Have a bottle of this stuff - http://www.lafeeabsinthe.com/

Also picked up the spoon and do the whole ritual with the sugar and water.

Have yet to find someone that doesn't get floored off it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

http:\\www.alandia.de

Any of the Absinthe on this site are fine.

As a shot, one of Absinthe and one of Cognac is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Death in the Afternoon

Only way to go:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

55% absinthe is in sainsbury in newry........http://www.apsinthion.com.pl/english/index.html

got me f****d anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

injured365, I suggest you read and understand the B/W/S charter before you post in this forum again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I usually use these in work
    http://www.hapsburgabsinthe.com/therange.html

Nice bottle too :)

It is now the last bottle of spirits in the house (bar unicum :P) So, straight, sugared or left alone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

As far as i'm aware 95% is not far from pure alcohol - Which is lethal to drink - I doubt anything over 60% can be bought here but I will check this out - I also have a bottle of black absinthe at 80% which you can buy off me - im afraid of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'd like to try this but I don't know of anywhere that would have it and would doubt if it's the genuine article. There's dozens of no name cheap "Irish" whiskeys made for export which I wouldn't wish anyone paying 20quid for for their first taste of Irish whiskey. I could be wrong though...

ardinn wrote: »
    I doubt anything over 60% can be bought here
    You can get a 90% ABV spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Papa Smut wrote: »
    It is now the last bottle of spirits in the house (bar unicum :P) So, straight, sugared or left alone?

That you even have to ask is an indictment upon you character:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

BeerNut wrote: »
    You can get a 90% ABV spirit.

Legally??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Legally??
    Yes, of course.

Legally??
    Why wouldn't it be legal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Some time ago I read a book by a Canadian writer call Taras Grescoe, and in his book The Devils Picnic he goes in search of true absinthe. As posters here say there is none or next to zero wormwood/thujone in any commercial variety. But the real deal is still made in a Swiss canton and he goes to get it. Apparently, real absinthe has 'la louche' as aficianados call it, which is a degree of cloudiness imparted by the wormwood. So if you want the real deal you need to go to the Swiss alps and nose about. :D

MediaTank wrote: »
    Apparently, real absinthe has 'la louche' as aficianados call it, which is a degree of cloudiness imparted by the wormwood. So if you want the real deal you need to go to the Swiss alps and nose about. :D
    Any proper absinthe will louche, as does wormwoodless absinthe AKA pastis.

Yeah, the Swiss are renowned for their absinthe, though I bought a middling range one at Zurich airport earlier this year and wasn't that impressed by it. Marí Mayans FTW!

Advertisement