Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absinthe

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I remember reading somewhere that there is no scientific method for measuring thujone content. And, of course, that you'll die of alcohol poisoning long before the thujone in any absinthe takes effect.

Totally agree with you on the Czech stuff, though I'd be inclined to go with Windowlene over Listerine as an appropriate alternative.

My preferred brand is Marí Mayans, from Ibiza, but yeah: the good ones are still basically high-alcohol pastis.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

good for cocktails too,

Has anyone come across a strong green tea or a jump in tomb?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

This is some serious grave-robbing. I don't even remember posting in this thread.

As mentioned, there's little point trying to consume thujone via absinthe, you would pass out from drunkenness before it would do anything. If you really don't believe this and don't want to fly to prague, you could at one point (maybe still?) get wormwood in "down to earth" on george's street and make your own by steeping it in vodka (there are some better recipes out there). Be warned, it tastes worse than you could imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Have a bottle of this stuff - http://www.lafeeabsinthe.com/

Also picked up the spoon and do the whole ritual with the sugar and water.

Have yet to find someone that doesn't get floored off it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

http:\\www.alandia.de

Any of the Absinthe on this site are fine.

As a shot, one of Absinthe and one of Cognac is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Death in the Afternoon

Only way to go:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

55% absinthe is in sainsbury in newry........http://www.apsinthion.com.pl/english/index.html

got me f****d anyway

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

injured365, I suggest you read and understand the B/W/S charter before you post in this forum again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I usually use these in work
    http://www.hapsburgabsinthe.com/therange.html

Nice bottle too :)

It is now the last bottle of spirits in the house (bar unicum :P) So, straight, sugared or left alone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

As far as i'm aware 95% is not far from pure alcohol - Which is lethal to drink - I doubt anything over 60% can be bought here but I will check this out - I also have a bottle of black absinthe at 80% which you can buy off me - im afraid of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

I'd like to try this but I don't know of anywhere that would have it and would doubt if it's the genuine article. There's dozens of no name cheap "Irish" whiskeys made for export which I wouldn't wish anyone paying 20quid for for their first taste of Irish whiskey. I could be wrong though...

ardinn wrote: »
    I doubt anything over 60% can be bought here
    You can get a 90% ABV spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Papa Smut wrote: »
    It is now the last bottle of spirits in the house (bar unicum :P) So, straight, sugared or left alone?

That you even have to ask is an indictment upon you character:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

BeerNut wrote: »
    You can get a 90% ABV spirit.

Legally??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Legally??
    Yes, of course.

Legally??
    Why wouldn't it be legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Some time ago I read a book by a Canadian writer call Taras Grescoe, and in his book The Devils Picnic he goes in search of true absinthe. As posters here say there is none or next to zero wormwood/thujone in any commercial variety. But the real deal is still made in a Swiss canton and he goes to get it. Apparently, real absinthe has 'la louche' as aficianados call it, which is a degree of cloudiness imparted by the wormwood. So if you want the real deal you need to go to the Swiss alps and nose about. :D

MediaTank wrote: »
    Apparently, real absinthe has 'la louche' as aficianados call it, which is a degree of cloudiness imparted by the wormwood. So if you want the real deal you need to go to the Swiss alps and nose about. :D
    Any proper absinthe will louche, as does wormwoodless absinthe AKA pastis.

Yeah, the Swiss are renowned for their absinthe, though I bought a middling range one at Zurich airport earlier this year and wasn't that impressed by it. Marí Mayans FTW!

Advertisement