Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Better - Router and Modem or Route/Modem Combo?

Options
  • 10-03-2007 5:01pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm currently in an apartment that's already Internet ready (there's a bog-standard 4-port router within the walls).

There's an Ethernet port in each room but, having got a Wii and DS, I'd like to get a wireless router to get them online. That should be simple enough and I imagine any standard router would suffice, right?

The main issue is that I don't imagine I'll be in this apartment 3 months or so from now. I imagine that the new place won't be set up for Internet access and that I'll be seeking out DSL or a cable offering.
    This has me wondering then should I try and future-proof myself and get a combined modem/router, with the proviso that I don't know how I'll be set up. Is there a great broadband modem/router that will cover all bases now or am I best to just get the router and try and work with the default modem of whatever ISP I eventually end up, creating a bridge if necessary?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Buy yourself a decent wireless router and does what you want. If you get ADSL at a later stage they will give your a Router/Modem combo, which you just set up a modem and connect to your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I have an ADSL/wifi router and it's works great. I recommend the 2 in 1 solution :)

Netgear, Billion, Linksys, D-Link - all top brands for this type of equipment. Make sure the router is 802.11G compliant, 54Mbps, and QoS is a good feature to have if you intend to share your broadband connection with others in your home (especially if you intend to play games online).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Boston wrote:
    Buy yourself a decent wireless router and does what you want. If you get ADSL at a later stage they will give your a Router/Modem combo, which you just set up a modem and connect to your router.

Yes. A WAN router/Nat/WiFi will work with Cable, Wireless, fibre or ADSL (Put ADSL router into bridge mode) modems.
    An ADSL combo router will only work with ADSL, not with Cable or any of the Wireless services, or fibre.

Less than 1/2 of people can actually get DSL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

YEAh I would go with Watty , Just get a router, dont get a router/modem combo, If you do end up with ADSL then you can just put the modem on bridge mode.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Wireless router only it is then!

I know there's a dedicated thread and all, but while this thread is here...is this D-Link AirPlus G 54 Mbps Wireless Router w/ USB WLAN adapte bundle from Komplett any use? I'm just looking at it for the convenience of it throwing in a USB WLAN adapter for my PC but given my budget can vary with some degree, I'm not stuck on it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Wireless Router Only would be my recommendation as well. Keep your DSL modem seperate, because it will work with any broadband connection that works with an Ethernet port (e.g your cable modem) and if the DSL modem breaks , that is all you will have to replace, you wont need to buy a whole new modem-router, and your ISP will probaly replace it for you anyway.
    And, you dont need to put your DSL modem into bridge mode, you can configure it in normal router mode, and your DSL modem will work as a router-firewall between the internet and your wireless router which will work as a firewall between your modem and the rest of your network, two firewalls are better then one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Though without bridging any port forwarding with single or multiple PC tricky as is a DMZ IP(s) (for PS2 etc) on the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

DSL modem+router in bridged mode -> proper router-> LAN

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Right, everyone seems to be of the opinion of getting a good router now rather than a combo job whose DSL function I mightn't even need.

My network knowledge is pretty poor but what's the sort of features I'll need to look for to be able to use it with a standard PC'n'laptop as well as a Wii and a DS? I can't imagine the Wii and DS use anything odd outside the typical protocols but I don't want to pick a model that's going to be incompatible.

With regards to port forwarding, is this something I'd generally need? Does the router itself not handle it all cleanly internally?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I wouldnt port forward your router/modem , Id just put it in bridge mode, its easier. Just make sure you get a wireless g router other then that look around the web for reviews to find which is best within you price range. Just to let you know ,as far as Im aware teh DS can only handle WEP encryption, which isnt that good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement