Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alcohol sponsering of college events

Options
  • 10-03-2007 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

Was down at the colours rowing today on O'Connell bridge. The event was sponsered by boru vodka.There were boru vodka signs floating in the liffey,both teams wearing tshirts emblazoned with the drink and the mc mentioning Boru vodka in almost every sentence.
    With students having such an unhealthy and damaging attitude towards alcohol It seems really distastful seeing a fun students event like the rowing colours to be sponsered by Vodka.

I remember reading that UCC has banned all drinks company sponsership of students events. Isnt it about time UCD did this too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

There are rules about alcohol sponsoring, and general rules governing title sponsorship of events being run by UCD societies.

I'd guess they wouldn't cover this as it could be argued that it's an event UCD are taking part in as against one being organised by UCD rowing.

I know with the hockey colours for example its hosted every second year by UCD (but its always held in UCD...). I don't know what the set-up is wit the rowing colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I think it would have to become a lot more prolific than that before I'd be worried about it.

It would be different if they were sponsoring an event and trying to encouraging excessive drinking at it.

I really don't think excessive drinking in college is in any way caused by such sponsorship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

probably not the best sponsor they could have gotten but sure my friends a rower and apparently theyre pretty serious bout training and not drinking so I dunno maybe they werent taken in by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

There are rules about drinks companies sponsoring societies. I figure this just didn't fall under their remit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Villaricos wrote:
    probably not the best sponsor they could have gotten but sure my friends a rower and apparently theyre pretty serious bout training and not drinking so I dunno maybe they werent taken in by it!
    Yes, sport sponsorship is clearly aimed at the competitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Villaricos wrote:
    Oh they are. My friend refused to go to the eng ball cos he's a race that weekend... but at any time other then that they're as bad as the rest of us!

Advertisement