Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siberian Husky

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭aaronsbz

Glowing wrote: »
    I actually think it does. So the husky will love to travel with him when he has to move from home to go to college, or travel or move abroad to work?

I just think it's very short sighted to invest in a dog when you're so young.

I'm sure i'm going to be lynched for this .....

hey i no im young but i realy have a love for animals and im interested in this breed.
    also i was working up untill i got this dog in dublin were i live and i do plan on going to college in sept.
    the college course will only be part time.
    also i come from a big family with 6 children all who live at home and the dog is getting and will continue to get the attention it needs and i dont plan or cant afford to move out for a good few years.
    i am not like most 18 year olds, i do have a girl friend but im not the going out type, i dont drink smoke etc. so i have alot of free time. ive alredy done the traveling i want to. i knew what i was taking on when i got the husky about walking etc. and i will make sure it gets the excercise it needs. i can see were your coming from but i will definitly be a great dog owner.

tesslab wrote: »
    I think the point was they're not your ordinary run of the mill dog. (Please other breed owners dont take offence!All doggies are great) But huskies are a lot to take on and i think ya should give it a bit of time before you decide to have two.
    Absolutely beautiful dogs who often end up in the wrong hands. Its great to see responsible owners here who want to train & show their dogs and spend that important quality time with them:)
    And all of us non husky owners are sooooooooooooooooooo jealous of you!!!:D

you thik your jelouse now but if you seen a pic of him you would definitly be jelouse...
    anyone who sees him wants to run away with him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

aaronsbz wrote: »
    oh yeah thats grand.... well sorry he was jus short of 8 weeks....
    yeah i will definitly go and see the show at least i can get a bit of information..... and trainig classes would be great....
    its a boy and i wouldnt get him neutered... and i have alot of time i can show him to start training him n all ... is there a place i could get in contact with for information on this because the website doesnt realy give me that and also were do i apply for shows.

www.dogshowentry.ie is where you can register your dogs details and then enter the shows from there, they have all the schedules for the shows. You can only enter All Breed Championship shows, or breed specific show, ie Siberian Husky Club Shows.

The siberian Husky have a club too, if you look up the IKC website there should be contact details for the secretary on it. You should join that too and they should be able to help you with any info you might need for the shows and stuff.

Showdogsireland has the schedules for shows down the bottom of the page and all the show dates for the year on it, what other type of info were you looking for?
    The classes are on in Cloghran on a tuesday night from 7.30 as far as i know.

Another website to join is www.irishdogs.ie they have a forum on it too with loads of helpful info on dogs and everything doggie, including a show section and theres loads of us on that are members that show are dogs and would be able to answer all your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

you thik your jelouse now but if you seen a pic of him you would definitly be jelouse...
    anyone who sees him wants to run away with him
    Oh now you're just rubbin it in!!! Sounds like hes gonna be spoiled rotten in your house!!!! Post a pic!!!:D

andreac wrote: »
    www.dogshowentry.ie is where you can register your dogs details and then enter the shows from there, they have all the schedules for the shows. You can only enter All Breed Championship shows, or breed specific show, ie Siberian Husky Club Shows.

The siberian Husky have a club too, if you look up the IKC website there should be contact details for the secretary on it. You should join that too and they should be able to help you with any info you might need for the shows and stuff.

Showdogsireland has the schedules for shows down the bottom of the page and all the show dates for the year on it, what other type of info were you looking for?
    The classes are on in Cloghran on a tuesday night from 7.30 as far as i know.

Another website to join is www.irishdogs.ie they have a forum on it too with loads of helpful info on dogs and everything doggie, including a show section and theres loads of us on that are members that show are dogs and would be able to answer all your questions.

thanks very much for the help one more question..
    what is good to feed a puppy.l
    the breeder told me to feed him pedigree puppy dry food for 6 week to 18 months and maybe add a bit of warm water but ever since ive got him hes been having runny ****es... maybe this is normal for a pup as he is very happy and lively.i dunno wats your insight??????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Siberian huskies have very weird stomachs! They are usually very efficient eaters, and generally don't tend to overeat, only eat what they need. However, if they are fed the wrong food, they will get the runs. My sibe bitch, Sky had diarrhoea until she was 7 months old. When we got her she was on James Wellbeloved, which is a very good food, but it wasn't agreeing with her, we tried on all the good stuff, but none of it had any effect. In the end it was Pedigree chum (which I don't consider a good food) that was the only food that worked with her. However, each dog is different. I now feed all of my Sibes on Kronch, which is a Danish food and it is salmon based. You can only get it by mail order or they tend to have a stall at any of the larger dog shows, the company that sells it in Ireland is called Paddypaw, if you google it, you will find their site. Really, its trial and error with sibes I think. A lot of people in the UK that work their sibes feed Red Mills, but there is a wide range of their food, so if you are going to try that, then go with the stuff at the top end of their range. However, I have heard good things of their puppy food, Red Mills Breeder.

ISDW wrote: »
    Siberian huskies have very weird stomachs! They are usually very efficient eaters, and generally don't tend to overeat, only eat what they need. However, if they are fed the wrong food, they will get the runs. My sibe bitch, Sky had diarrhoea until she was 7 months old. When we got her she was on James Wellbeloved, which is a very good food, but it wasn't agreeing with her, we tried on all the good stuff, but none of it had any effect. In the end it was Pedigree chum (which I don't consider a good food) that was the only food that worked with her. However, each dog is different. I now feed all of my Sibes on Kronch, which is a Danish food and it is salmon based. You can only get it by mail order or they tend to have a stall at any of the larger dog shows, the company that sells it in Ireland is called Paddypaw, if you google it, you will find their site. Really, its trial and error with sibes I think. A lot of people in the UK that work their sibes feed Red Mills, but there is a wide range of their food, so if you are going to try that, then go with the stuff at the top end of their range. However, I have heard good things of their puppy food, Red Mills Breeder.

yeah thanks very much em the breeder told me that i should rele feed him this food as he has first hand had fed other siberians other food and theres a big difference that the pedigree puppr dry food is the best.....
    do you think my pup will get use to the food and the runs will stop.
    em do you breed siberian huskys yourself.

No, I don't breed them, but I have a few, and run a rescue for Sibes and alaskan malamutes.

Don't mean to rain on your breeder's parade, but I have heard Pedigree Chum called McDonalds for dogs many, many times. Its certainly not the worst food in the world, but definitely not one of the best either - IMO. The dog should be used to that food by now though, if thats what the breeder has been feeding him. How many times a day are you feeding the pup?

No, I don't breed them, but I have a few, and run a rescue for Sibes and alaskan malamutes.

Don't mean to rain on your breeder's parade, but I have heard Pedigree Chum called McDonalds for dogs many, many times. Its certainly not the worst food in the world, but definitely not one of the best either - IMO. The dog should be used to that food by now though, if thats what the breeder has been feeding him. How many times a day are you feeding the pup?

have you heard of bento dog food and is that any good...

and i feed him 3 times a day

No, I've never heard of that one, others on here might though. At his age, he should still be on 4 meals a day, so maybe still feed him the same amount, but divide it into 4, that might help with his digestion and firm up his poos a bit. When was the last time that he was wormed? Pups should be wormed every 2 weeks until they're 12 weeks old.

Have you got an pics of him? I'm a real sucker for sibe puppy pics.

• Advertisement

No, I've never heard of that one, others on here might though. At his age, he should still be on 4 meals a day, so maybe still feed him the same amount, but divide it into 4, that might help with his digestion and firm up his poos a bit. When was the last time that he was wormed? Pups should be wormed every 2 weeks until they're 12 weeks old.

Have you got an pics of him? I'm a real sucker for sibe puppy pics.

yeah i was told to feed him 3 times a day and ill start doing it 4 times and see how that gets on ...

yeah i do have pics ill try put some up

Personally i wouldnt touch Pedigree if you paid me, its full of artificial colours and flavours and its obv not agreeing with your dog, hence the runny poo's.

There are loads of good complete foods you can get, Redmills, Hills, Burns, Kronch. and so on. I would recommend you change to one of these, it also needs to be puppy food, designed esp for growing pups.

He needs to be wormed regularly too at this age, this is extrememy important and can make your pup very ill if not done. Also make sure the pup is not taken out for walks until he has all his vaccinations done either.

As ISDW said, he should be fed 4 times a day at the moment too.

Personally i wouldnt touch Pedigree if you paid me, its full of artificial colours and flavours and its obv not agreeing with your dog, hence the runny poo's.

There are loads of good complete foods you can get, Redmills, Hills, Burns, Kronch. and so on. I would recommend you change to one of these, it also needs to be puppy food, designed esp for growing pups.

He needs to be wormed regularly too at this age, this is extrememy important and can make your pup very ill if not done. Also make sure the pup is not taken out for walks until he has all his vaccinations done either.

As ISDW said, he should be fed 4 times a day at the moment too.
    kk tanks i will change cause hes even stickin his nose up at it...
    which one would you recomend is the best.
    and would it be ok for him to eat meat.

he has been wormed this week and ill keep it up every 2 weeks.
    and i no not to take him out till he is finnished his injections,

Yeah, raw meat is great for them. You can give him some mince, but if you are going to feed raw, just pop it into the freezer for a while first, then defrost thoroughly. That way any nasty bacteria will be killed off. You can obviously cook it for him if you like. I have a 12 week old sibe pup at the moment, and he is getting a lamb lap every few days, just ask the butcher, they're pretty cheap and great for them to chew away on. Also RAW chicken wings are good for them, clear out their anal glands, but never, ever feed chicken bones cooked, always raw. My little fella is also getting rice pudding every afternoon for his tea, he loves it. I know that cows milk isn't good for dogs, but I've always fed pups rice pudding with no side effects.

All of the brands that andreac mentioned are good, so it would probably be best to see what you can get the easiest, its pointless changing him onto a great food and then when you run out of that bag, you can't find it anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

hey aaronsbz, best of luck with your sibe!!! Although they do require alot more work than some breeds they definitely are a jot to own. i have a female siberian husky, she's 8 months now and she has totally changed my life. id definitley recommend bringing your guy to training classes at cloghran, especially if you are going to show him! Ive been bringing my girl for months and i do alot of training with her at home everyday, but its a long process trying to get her show ready! Its a really fun thing to do though as it its something for you and your dog to do together and it helps you bond!

Also i wanted to respond to a previous post by someone saying 18 is too young to own a dog. Im only 21 and sibe is my first dog of my own. Yes sibes are a challenging breed to pick as a first dog but i believe it doenst matter what age you are as long as you are willing to put in all the work required in looking after one. Like aaronsbz im not a typical student, i dont drink therefore i dont go out often, only to the cinema. If anything gettting a dog has changed my life for the better, she's brought me so much happiness and given me a reason to get out and about and be more active. and because im showing her ive gained a new hobby and its something to enjoy doing with her! I spent a very very very long time doing reserach on the breed before i committed to buying one.
    Not all young people are irresponsible or incapable of pet ownership!

leelee_m wrote: »
    hey aaronsbz, best of luck with your sibe!!! Although they do require alot more work than some breeds they definitely are a jot to own. i have a female siberian husky, she's 8 months now and she has totally changed my life. id definitley recommend bringing your guy to training classes at cloghran, especially if you are going to show him! Ive been bringing my girl for months and i do alot of training with her at home everyday, but its a long process trying to get her show ready! Its a really fun thing to do though as it its something for you and your dog to do together and it helps you bond!

Also i wanted to respond to a previous post by someone saying 18 is too young to own a dog. Im only 21 and sibe is my first dog of my own. Yes sibes are a challenging breed to pick as a first dog but i believe it doenst matter what age you are as long as you are willing to put in all the work required in looking after one. Like aaronsbz im not a typical student, i dont drink therefore i dont go out often, only to the cinema. If anything gettting a dog has changed my life for the better, she's brought me so much happiness and given me a reason to get out and about and be more active. and because im showing her ive gained a new hobby and its something to enjoy doing with her! I spent a very very very long time doing reserach on the breed before i committed to buying one.
    Not all young people are irresponsible or incapable of pet ownership!

yeah thats what i was saying i am definitly gonna put in the effort for my pup no matter what it takes and just like you i put alot of thought and research into this breed be4 i purchased him..

yes im definitly gonna bring my pup to the training classes but hes only 8 weeks at the moment and id love to show him...
    also i went to see a female pup yesterday that im buying ,well its not realy for me its for my girlfriend as she loves siberian huskys and would love to show one aswell.... is there any other information you could give me about training and showing them that the others didnt

thanks

Hey Aaronsbz, what kind of questions do you need answered? If you post them up we will try answer them for you.

Hey Aaronsbz, what kind of questions do you need answered? If you post them up we will try answer them for you.

no i dont have any questions i just though he would have a bit of insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Hi guys,

I got a 9 week old Sib pup last week, he's a lovely little fella pure white coat. He's getting on great with me and my gf at home but toilet training him is very difficult , he won't go out to the back garden and he won't walk on the lead, as soon as I attach it he sits and stays and tries to get out of it even when I offer treats. He comes when I call him in the house off the lead, He's due his second injections end of the week and i'm worming him this week aswell. One thing you notice about this breed quickly is how smart they are i've tried crate training but he has fiqured a way out of it already, anyone give me some advice please? Also I'm feeding him 3 times a day once in the morning, afternoon and evening and in the evening I try giving him mince,lamb or something differant which he likes...he's also known for robbing everyones tea when there not watching there cups.lol

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I got a 9 week old Sib pup last week, he's a lovely little fella pure white coat. He's getting on great with me and my gf at home but toilet training him is very difficult , he won't go out to the back garden and he won't walk on the lead, as soon as I attach it he sits and stays and tries to get out of it even when I offer treats. He comes when I call him in the house off the lead, He's due his second injections end of the week and i'm worming him this week aswell. One thing you notice about this breed quickly is how smart they are i've tried crate training but he has fiqured a way out of it already, anyone give me some advice please? Also I'm feeding him 3 times a day once in the morning, afternoon and evening and in the evening I try giving him mince,lamb or something differant which he likes...he's also known for robbing everyones tea when there not watching there cups.lol

hey i just got my pup last week aswell pure white there was two in the litter i got mine in monaghan wat about you...
    also the breeder told me two feedhim 3 times a day you should feed him the same amount of food but spread it out to feed him four times.
    and when i was trying to crate train him i had the same problem.

• Advertisement

What kind of crate is it? The dog shouldnt be able to get out of it once its locked/closed.

With regards to lead training, the pup is still very young for the lead. For the moment, just clip the lead on and let the pup walk around with it attached so he/she gets used to it first. Make it fun for the pup, play with it and have treats or toys so they associate the lead with something fun for the moment. They will get used to it so dont worry.

With the toilet training, try to encourage the pup to go out by praise or a treat/toy. Once the pup is outside, do not play with it or reward it until it has done its business, then lots of praise/treats, make a really big fuss of them when they go. Sometimes it takes a while for the pup to go when its outside, but make sure you stay with them until they do as some pups fret if the owner goes away and then they wont go.

Thanks, he went out the back yesturday and I gave him treats just have to keep it up. The crate is more like a doggie gate we set up in the corner of the sitting room, but he cries really loud when in it and can climb over the gate and get out so not really working. I got him from a breeder in Carlow , He also seems to be having alot of nightmares when sleeping moving around alot and coughing/gagging, going to say it to the vet when I have him down on Friday.

Puppies do move around a lot in their sleep, it helps to develop their muscles. Not sure about the coughing/gagging though, definitely mention it to the vet.

Thanks, he went out the back yesturday and I gave him treats just have to keep it up. The crate is more like a doggie gate we set up in the corner of the sitting room, but he cries really loud when in it and can climb over the gate and get out so not really working. I got him from a breeder in Carlow , He also seems to be having alot of nightmares when sleeping moving around alot and coughing/gagging, going to say it to the vet when I have him down on Friday.

Thats not a crate then, a crate is a like a cage and when its closed they cant get out, thats why i was wondering.
    If you do a search for a dog crate you will see what exactly it is. Its great for helping with toilet training and i would highly recommend crate training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 awhyte

I found my husky, Harley, very easy to house train. Whenever he sniffs the ground pick him up and put him outside and ignore him till he goes. Then make the biggest fuss over him and play with him for a while and eventually he will learn. It took me 2 weeks to fully train an 8 week old pup. Also the crate helps a lot especially at night because they won't dirty their bed but you will have to get up a few times in the night at first to let him out and again do the same thing by ignoring him. Worked well for me

my pup is very hard to house train i dont put him out the back i put newspaper near the door and anytime i see him sniffing and now sometimes he uses the newspaper or he will just do it everywhere do you think i should put him out the back when he needs to go and as for the crate the minute hes in it and its locked he screams and howls very very load and he goes the tiolet in it aswell....

he also gags and shakes in his sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

yeah thats what i was saying i am definitly gonna put in the effort for my pup no matter what it takes and just like you i put alot of thought and research into this breed be4 i purchased him..

yes im definitly gonna bring my pup to the training classes but hes only 8 weeks at the moment and id love to show him...
    also i went to see a female pup yesterday that im buying ,well its not realy for me its for my girlfriend as she loves siberian huskys and would love to show one aswell.... is there any other information you could give me about training and showing them that the others didnt

thanks

What everyone has said has pretty much been good advice. id just really say to get him lead trained early, and when he has all his vaccinations start him at training. persistence is really the key with it all! When he's six months he can start going to shows but start him off slow, bring him to limit shows first. they are small shows, much less people than would be at a champ show. the show dates are available on the ikc website.
    My girl has had two limit shows so far and they've been a good way to get started before entering the bigger shows.

To be honest with you though, one husky is a handful. you'd probably be better off to get used to him first and making sure you can cope before getting another. Personally as much as im completely in love with the breed i wouldn't even consider getting another until my girl is much more mature. The time and effort that goes into owning just one is overwhelming enough! And ive been doing training with my girl since she was able to go to training classes and she's still not trained. in my opinion id just focus on the one at the moment and give him all the love and attention etc that he needs. just my opinion though.

leelee_m wrote: »
    What everyone has said has pretty much been good advice. id just really say to get him lead trained early, and when he has all his vaccinations start him at training. persistence is really the key with it all! When he's six months he can start going to shows but start him off slow, bring him to limit shows first. they are small shows, much less people than would be at a champ show. the show dates are available on the ikc website.
    My girl has had two limit shows so far and they've been a good way to get started before entering the bigger shows.

To be honest with you though, one husky is a handful. you'd probably be better off to get used to him first and making sure you can cope before getting another. Personally as much as im completely in love with the breed i wouldn't even consider getting another until my girl is much more mature. The time and effort that goes into owning just one is overwhelming enough! And ive been doing training with my girl since she was able to go to training classes and she's still not trained. in my opinion id just focus on the one at the moment and give him all the love and attention etc that he needs. just my opinion though.

yeah i understand what your saying one is a handfull but it will be my girlfrieds dog and will be living with her....
    and shes is great with my pup and cant wait to get hers,.

my pup is very hard to house train i dont put him out the back i put newspaper near the door and anytime i see him sniffing and now sometimes he uses the newspaper or he will just do it everywhere do you think i should put him out the back when he needs to go and as for the crate the minute hes in it and its locked he screams and howls very very load and he goes the tiolet in it aswell....

he also gags and shakes in his sleep.

Mine does the exact same thing gagging and shaking, did you go to the breeders house?

• Advertisement

Mine does the exact same thing gagging and shaking, did you go to the breeders house?

no i didn he lives in monaghhan but ill say it to the vet tonight even dough i think its just him dreaming like or having a nightmare....

Advertisement