Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siberian Husky

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

cheers. thats what i found when doing a bit of digging alright. just wasnt sure about the age the dog needed to be before scoring.
    found a few chancers trying to claim that pups had great hip scores and thought that couldnt be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well people will try anything to sell pups and a lot of people dont know any different so believe them, thats why its always good to get advice beforehand and ask around before getting a pup, saves a lot of heart ache in the long run.

just found out today that the daughter of a good family friend is a vet and she breeds dogs, (quite a few differant breeds) here and in the uk.
    was told that she knows a few very good husky breeders and is going to help us find a good pup.

i got my puppy, well, picked him out and paid a deposit.
    went to see the breeder in cavan and she showed us her own dogs. the parents and the grand parents.
    all of the dogs where very highly trained and very friendly/active.
    she regularly enters into competitions and has won loads of ribbons with her dogs.
    the male is a nice big dog and the pup we picked out was one of the bigger of the litter.
    he was only 4weeks old so we couldnt take him but only 3 weeks left now.
    cant wait, its the longest few weeks ever.

heres a pic anyway.
    husky3.jpg
    and a video of the dogs
    the one doing tricks is the father
    http://img190.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=vid2g.mp4

He is very like my guy . The Markings are nearly the exact same . My guy is 8 months now and on his hind legs he is over 5 foot !

• Advertisement

he has a little white patch on the back of his neck between his shoulders.
    as for his size, its a good thing the enclosure we are building is 8foot so :)

and heres 2 pics i got just now that where taken today
    husky8d.jpg
    husky9y.jpg
    alot bigger now. cant wait to get him
    and his ears are fully up now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

He's gorgeous.

Do you have another link to that video, its not working.

thanks, i feel like a child at x-mas, cant wait to get him.
    heres the link again, try this
    http://img190.imageshack.us/i/vid1n.mp4/
    http://img190.imageshack.us/i/vid3a.mp4/

Oh that worked.

He's lovely, what a clever boy. I've always maintained that sibes aren't untrainable at all, its just that they have such an urge to run, that they can't be let off the lead. But theres no reason at all why they can't do obedience, agility etc - in an enclosed space.

There is a woman in Canada that is on a husky forum I go on that is getting a sibe as her assistance dog - pretty cool I think.

i have to say, i really didnt care much for the red huskies until i saw the pair she had. they looked alot nicer then they seem to look in pics or videos.

she told me that she hadnt been doing tricks with him in a while so he was a bit rusty but he was able to follow commands by hand signal alone which i thought was very impressive for a husky. and i dont mean following her hand in a circle, i mean like sit, back up, stand up etc.

• Advertisement

As someone who is obsessed with Siberian Huskies, what makes a good owner ? How much space do they need ? Can they travel with their owners around etc in jeeps? I'm going to be starting my own business soon and will be out and about constantly, I'll still have time to work out and exercise (both myself and my dog) but would this be practical ?

I refuse to get a dog to leave him at home when I'm out working. Not my style, love animals a bit too much for that.

Here is my guy at 6 weeks and 7 months

n6185278931294722800.th.jpg

61701029245178936185278.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

Spitfire666, He is just gorgeous!!! Love his markings! Makes me nostalgic for when my girl was a baby. She turned one the other day, dunno where on earth the time went!!! Enjoy puppyhood it flies by! :)

leelee_m wrote: »
    Spitfire666, He is just gorgeous!!! Love his markings! Makes me nostalgic for when my girl was a baby. She turned one the other day, dunno where on earth the time went!!! Enjoy puppyhood it flies by! :)

Did you see growth spurts with yours ? My guy is 8 months but he seems to be getting bigger again . I only noticed yesterday .

Did you see growth spurts with yours ? My guy is 8 months but he seems to be getting bigger again . I only noticed yesterday .

Well I photographed my Girl since the day I got her so in that way it was easy to see how she grew! But I defo did notice just month to month changes in her, like her legs getting ganglier and stuff like that! But it is really insane how fast they grow! i barely remember her being a pup it went so fast lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Hi All,

Long time reader of the forum.
    I was hoping to get some info in relation to Sibes. I plan on buying a pair of huskies next year when I buy my new house but I believe in doing my research well in advance!
    We will be living by the sea ( if all goes well ).From what I've read its never ok to let your huskie off the lead? Ever? There's some contradictory info on other sites I've read so I thought this is the best place to ask.
    Will they never recall even with proper obediance training from a young age?
    I fell in love with these dogs years ago and have always wanted one but being responsible comes first for me. Its just that my last dog loved having a game of ball on a quiet beach in the evenings, and I loved it too and would love to do the same again with my new dogs.

Any advice on this and anything else you consider useful would be much welcome!

Thanks in advance all!

Zadkiel wrote: »
    Hi All,

Long time reader of the forum.
    I was hoping to get some info in relation to Sibes. I plan on buying a pair of huskies next year when I buy my new house but I believe in doing my research well in advance!
    We will be living by the sea ( if all goes well ).From what I've read its never ok to let your huskie off the lead? Ever? There's some contradictory info on other sites I've read so I thought this is the best place to ask.
    Will they never recall even with proper obediance training from a young age?
    I fell in love with these dogs years ago and have always wanted one but being responsible comes first for me. Its just that my last dog loved having a game of ball on a quiet beach in the evenings, and I loved it too and would love to do the same again with my new dogs.

Any advice on this and anything else you consider useful would be much welcome!

Thanks in advance all!

I personally have had no luck yet with teaching my girl recall. I try to teach her in her dog run but she just ignores me to the last thus I know I wont be able to let her off the lead as she wont come back no matter how much I call. Though I have heard teaching them recall can be done. But then the lady i got my girl off said none of her huskies could ever be trusted off lead!

Most of the reading I have done which is alot, has said they have terrible recall and i've yet to meet a husky owner who can successfully let their husky off lead.
    A person down the road from me has one and they came knocking on our door the other day to ask if we'd seen their one, it got over the fence and took off! And I often hear them down the road calling and calling and calling the dog to come back.... :/

Not sure if this helps much. But in my own opinion if you're looking for a dog that can be EASILY trained to recall, a husky is not the dog you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

leelee_m wrote: »
    I personally have had no luck yet with teaching my girl recall. I try to teach her in her dog run but she just ignores me to the last thus I know I wont be able to let her off the lead as she wont come back no matter how much I call. Though I have heard teaching them recall can be done. But then the lady i got my girl off said none of her huskies could ever be trusted off lead!

Most of the reading I have done which is alot, has said they have terrible recall and i've yet to meet a husky owner who can successfully let their husky off lead.
    A person down the road from me has one and they came knocking on our door the other day to ask if we'd seen their one, it got over the fence and took off! And I often hear them down the road calling and calling and calling the dog to come back.... :/

Not sure if this helps much. But in my own opinion if you're looking for a dog that can be EASILY trained to recall, a husky is not the dog you want!

Thanks a million for the reply :)
    No i look forward to a challenging training job but was just curious about this one aspect. If it can't be done I won't be risking letting them off leash, safety first and all that!

Zadkiel wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the reply :)
    No i look forward to a challenging training job but was just curious about this one aspect. If it can't be done I won't be risking letting them off leash, safety first and all that!

I have been told its not totally impossible! They just tend to be very stubborn so its not easy!

Once you're aware that they may need to be kept on their lead most of the time then you'll be ok. I know a few people who ran out and got huskies knowing nothing about the breed and thought they could just let them wander round off lead and not make high enough fences and then end up wondering why the dog has run off?

They're an amazing breed, they really are. Wouldnt swap my girl for the world. but you HAVE to know what you're getting yourself into. Do as much research as you possibly can! And even at that you wont be prepared for the whirlwind that is husky ownership lol :D
    Best of luck and if you have any more questions just ask. I know theres a few people on here very knowledgeable about the breed!

Unfortunately, I always advise never to let them off the lead after the age of about 6 months. You can work with them and they will come back 9 times out of 10, but then one day they will get a scent, or see something far, far, far off in the distance and they're gone. I have a large field thats fully fenced to husky height:D and mine are great at recall in there - because they know I can get them. They know how fast they are, and how fast we are, and know we don't have a hope of catching them if they take off.

I think it is really sad, for a breed that is just born to run, that a lot of owners never get to see their sibe in full flight, but better that than a dead dog. However, scooters aren't that expensive, or bikes with a springer attachment. The scooters are fantastic, with the dog out in front, doing what they're meant to do, most of them pick up the harness work very quickly.

I will post some pics eventually of some of my lot working, its such a great way to wear them out.

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I always advise never to let them off the lead after the age of about 6 months. You can work with them and they will come back 9 times out of 10, but then one day they will get a scent, or see something far, far, far off in the distance and they're gone. I have a large field thats fully fenced to husky height:D and mine are great at recall in there - because they know I can get them. They know how fast they are, and how fast we are, and know we don't have a hope of catching them if they take off.

I think it is really sad, for a breed that is just born to run, that a lot of owners never get to see their sibe in full flight, but better that than a dead dog. However, scooters aren't that expensive, or bikes with a springer attachment. The scooters are fantastic, with the dog out in front, doing what they're meant to do, most of them pick up the harness work very quickly.

I will post some pics eventually of some of my lot working, its such a great way to wear them out.

Totally agree with you! I just know if my girl saw something in the distance she'd be gone and id be lucky if i saw her on the horizon lol.
    Im lucky that we have a large run for her so I play with her alot in there and get to see her tear around like a loony! Its amazing to see how fast she is but also scary, as i know id never catch her if she got off the lead!

I love taking my guy into the garden and watch him take off. He loves it .

Actually another question anybody have a problem with mouthing ? My guy is 8 months and still loves to chew your hand

i was thinking of getting one of these and modding it to take harness attachments. there nice and light and the big balloon tyres absorb alot of bumps.
    xxracer01.jpg

As someone who is obsessed with Siberian Huskies, what makes a good owner ? How much space do they need ? Can they travel with their owners around etc in jeeps? I'm going to be starting my own business soon and will be out and about constantly, I'll still have time to work out and exercise (both myself and my dog) but would this be practical ?

I refuse to get a dog to leave him at home when I'm out working. Not my style, love animals a bit too much for that.

BUMP

i was thinking of getting one of these and modding it to take harness attachments. there nice and light and the big balloon tyres absorb alot of bumps.
    xxracer01.jpg

Interesting.

How do you steer and stop it?

Stopping is very, very important when being pulled.:D

the steering is done with your feet on the pegs either side of the front wheel,
    at the top of the "forks", there is a connection similir to a bike only without the handle bars attached.
    looks a little differant with the forks going above the neck instead of below like a bike.
    heres a more bike like version.
    cimg6837.jpg

as for brakes, well, dropping the feet is the main one but i'll figiure out how to mount a bike wheel disk brake system to it and that will be the brakes.

they dont come with brakes as standard as its a kite doing the pulling usually.

If you fit brakes, I'd say that would be brilliant. Being that low to the ground, you'd really feel like you were moving.

We're gonna need videos of you and the dogs in action when you get it all sorted;)

Hiya,

I'll give you a longer answer tomorrow, promise, about all the points you raise, when I'm more wide awake. But, maybe, and its just my opinion, people haven't answered because of your last sentence.

I find that offensive, as if anybody that goes out to work doesn't love their dogs? I'm in a very lucky position in so far as I work from home, with dogs, so am always around for my lot. But if people don't have money coming in, how can they afford to feed the dog, or get the appropriate vet treatment?

Hiya,

I'll give you a longer answer tomorrow, promise, about all the points you raise, when I'm more wide awake. But, maybe, and its just my opinion, people haven't answered because of your last sentence.

I find that offensive, as if anybody that goes out to work doesn't love their dogs? I'm in a very lucky position in so far as I work from home, with dogs, so am always around for my lot. But if people don't have money coming in, how can they afford to feed the dog, or get the appropriate vet treatment?

Offensive ? Really ? Ok well let me clarify:
    I refuse to get a dog to leave him at home alone with nobody else around when I'm out working, unless of course the dog is a rare breed which enjoys being at home on his own for hours at a time. Otherwise, it's not my style and I'd rather not get a pet if I can't give it the appropriate attention it needs so as much as I love animals, I won't get one as much as I like one because that would be selfish on my part if I can't be there for it, love animals a bit too much for that.

If people buy a dog/pet out of their love of animals and have to leave them at home alone for long periods of time, bored out of their tree unattended, then they shouldn't have dogs or pets in the first place because clearly, that's wrong.

But I look forward to your answers to my questions.

• Advertisement

Offensive ? Really ? Ok well let me clarify:

If people buy a dog/pet out of their love of animals and have to leave them at home alone for long periods of time, bored out of their tree unattended, then they shouldn't have dogs or pets in the first place because clearly, that's wrong.

But I look forward to your answers to my questions.

But you're assuming that people leave them alone unattended and bored. I used to have to go out to work, and my two dogs were home alone during the day. I would get up early, they would get a 40 minute walk before I went to work, they had each other for company, a dog flap so they could go in and out all day if they wanted. They would then get at least another hour in the evenings. I know that when I am at home with my lot, they tend to sleep most of the day. Also people may employ a dog walker during the day, or leave kongs etc for their dogs to make sure they don't get bored. The pounds and rescues are full of dogs as it is, if anybody who had a job couldn't have a dog, there would be hundreds of thousands of extra dogs being pts every year.

Your questions:

Huskies don't need that much space, as long as they get lots of exercise, however, this has to be on lead. They do need a totally secure garden, with fencing at least 6 foot high, if they can't go over it, they will go under it. Yes, you could probably bring the dog to work with you in a jeep, but you would probably have to leave it in the jeep would you? I have had to replace quite a few seatbelts that have been chewed by dogs left in the car for a little while.

They are not good with livestock, unfortunately a lot of them get shot or run over, so I don't know what your business will be, but unless you're going into securely fenced areas, I'd be very careful.

Huskies are weird creatures. Yes they need a lot of exercise, but then other days, they are quite happy to sleep for 24 hours - usually on the couch.

Advertisement