Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Flight Blade CP

Options
  • 10-03-2007 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

I've carried out a bit of research, and it seem that the Blade CP is the most popular elec trainer heli. What is the general opinion on them from you guys?
    Plenty available for around $200 with 72mhz tx on ebay.
    I think they are 72mhz, will 72mhz be a problem over here?
    How does that price sound?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I wouldnt waste my time with that heli, unless you have a large indoor area to use it in. Get somthing a little bigger.
    72Mhz is not used for models here. You need to use 35Mhz for flying models in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Any suggestions for a bigger trainer Doktor?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I've carried out a bit of research, and it seem that the Blade CP is the most popular elec trainer heli. .....
    I know over 50 Irish heli fliers personally and none have a Blade.
    Did you do your research in Ireland?

Some Irish modellers helis:
    My pal flies a Logo 10 completely tricked out, a Logo 14 Carbon, a Twister 3D all brushless. He used to have an Eco 8 and a T-Rex (possibly still has the T-Rex).

I fly mainly planes with fixed wing, but I got myself an Apache AH-60 last week for indoors flying. I gave him one flight on the Apache and he got one for himself the same day!

Another pal flies a 60 size Uni Star 60 Heim also tricked out scale, into a Bell 230. He "borrowed" a flight on my Apache and he got himself one within two days even though it looks tiny beside his big glowfuel heli.

Maybe not the answer to your needs, but then again maybe it is.

Here is the link. There is a video (with a soundtrack specially chosen for boards members ;) )
    Apache flying 4.8Mb filesize

Any of the ones Coolwings mentioned are good, I have a Zoom 400 (now a zoom450) among others.
    Those helis you get with the transmitter an all are generally ****e. Mate of mine got one very similar, and it wouldnt actually lift off the ground, as pitch/throttle curves could not be changed.
    If you want to get into helis, you wont get away with cheap ass stuff.
    Do a bit more research and look at Irish and UK websites and see whats there.
    Look at the likes of www.modelhelicopters.co.uk or www.helicopters-online.com. I also hear green hobby are good.
    Most of these places will not sell ****e, as it only ends up comming back to them.
    See what they are have on their stock lists, and what fits in your budget.

Funny you saying that about the Zoom 400.
    I bought one last year for myself... a Micro Star 400. (which is the same as the Zoom 400).
    But I was talked out of it by a heli flying pal who wanted it off me. So I swopped it for one of his models, a plane.
    It took a year for me to get the heli juices flowing again, and the result was the Apache, which is a bit smaller, and less aerobatic, but probably more suitable for indoors flying at home.

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote:
    Funny you saying that about the Zoom 400.
    I bought one last year for myself... a Micro Star 400. (which is the same as the Zoom 400).
    But I was talked out of it by a heli flying pal who wanted it off me. So I swopped it for one of his models, a plane.
    It took a year for me to get the heli juices flowing again, and the result was the Apache, which is a bit smaller, and less aerobatic, but probably more suitable for indoors flying at home.

Dunno why, the zoom is a great yoke. Never given me any trouble, except when I crash it. Its easy to fly (easy as any heli), and easy to set up. Also there is more hop ups out there than you can shake a stick at...
    I got a fair few hop ups added on, including brushless motor (which really brings it alive).
    I got it from a mate who was selling helis for a while, and at the time he decided only to stock zooms, cos they gave him no grief comming back.

Basically a Zoom 400 / Micro Star 400 / Twister 3D is a "400" size heli, most suited for outdoors like a back garden.
    A gymnasium or hall is also very good for this size when it is in capable hands.

I would say myself that the collective pitch makes for a nice heli, but is not suitable for a beginner who cannot already fly fixed wing (airplanes), and that a beginner who gets one is out of their depth and will be forced into also purchasing a flight simulater software.

With the fixed pitch helis the raw beginner can get stuck in learning to fly with no need for instructors, sims, or their like.

CMAR : My suggestion would be an Apache, (look at the video and judge for yourself) or a Twister V2, slightly more expensive, but with the extra moving parts in the tail.

Then after you can fly either of these, if you are still into helis, get a more serious one, like the Blade you were looking at (I wouldn't myself - god knows where you get parts for them) a Zoom 400 / Micro Star 400/ Twister 3D, or even bigger still be nice to yourself and get a Logo 10.
    But those are not suitable for now. MODEL HELIS ARE FAR HARDER THAN YOU THINK (if you don't already know how to fly).

So it is easy to believe all the crap in the internet shops about "this collective pitch is easy to fly" and buy something that you totally trash in under 12 seconds. A reasonable comparision is that a CP heli is the same difficulty as for instance the guitar, or a unicycle, or swimming the breast stroke. It is an advanced skill that takes time to build up.

Also you will not be able to properly set up a CP rotor head for proper operation without help, unless you have learned first with something simpler. A video or manual will not be enough.

Easier and cheaper to learn on the correct basic stuff first. Then move up to advanced stuff.

Is there a basic heli out there for "scale" style flying? I wouldn't be interested in 3d, just something basic to fly around the yard.
    Of those mentioned, would any suit? What kind of price range for entry?

I do not like the counter rotating stuff at all, would prefer a proper looking heli.

:)

Sure there is ... as described in my last post!
    coolwings wrote:
    CMAR : My suggestion would be an Apache, (look at the video and judge for yourself) or a Twister V2 .... with the extra moving parts in the tail.
    :-)

Norman,
    What do you think of this?
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_guide/kitprofile.cfm?kit_id=3666

v. popular in the US

• Advertisement

Looks reminiscent to a Twister v2.
    But where are you going to get parts for it?
    You do plan to fly it, I assume, so you will break parts when flying.
    Those bits are no use to you 2000 miles away when you just hit the ground with a bit more bump than usual ! You order, wait weeks, get, fit, and then break another small bit after ten - thirty minutes!

The wardrobes (and dustbins) of Ireland are full of wrecked helis where their owners couldnt stand the heat! Don't make it harder for yourself by adding extra complications. There are plenty enough problems there already ... the ten thumbs holding the sticks!

I think you are still reading brochures ... it's interesting but nothing to do with reality .... you need to read back very carefully - pay attention to what the heli guys here are actually using now... you see, they have done the research too, and they know more than you what is important and what is not.

Think about uninterrupted continuity of practise flying sessions and you will begin to get it .....

Cmar, Listen to coolwings.. he speaks the truth.....
    I would agree about the collective pitch thing, unless you have someone to show you how to set it up, and keep it set up. I was lucky in that I had a friend who could help me all the time.
    I have 3 helis. A nitro one (hirobo sceadu), an mini electric (zoom 400) and a fixed pitch hmmingbird.
    The most important thing is parts. Each one of the above I can have parts in a day or two. I can get them on the net from the UK or I can drive to a few places in Ireland if i want them sooner.

The first heli I got was the sceadu, and to be honest, I went the wrong way and should have started with somthing simpler. Thing is the hummingbird (similar to the ones you gave links for) will only be flown outdoors if there is NO wind. The zoom can be taken out most of the time in the summer. Some of the yokes Coolwings mentioned are very similar. Looking back, I would have liked to start off with the zoom.
    Answer me this question... where will you fly your heli??

You are welcome to have a look at the helis I have any time because, as coolwings says, most helis end up in a box somewhere after the first few mins on flying.

It's one of those situations, do I spend the money to get something decent, and take a chance that I'll have the interest to keep at it.
    I was hoping to get into something for under 200 to see if I'd like it. I'm going to look out for a Twister and go from there.
    I'm in monasterevin, so the curragh is only 10 mins away. The Newbridge flyer's club is there every weekend, so hopefully I can get some tuition.

Cheers

I have been looking for a twister cp v2, so I found one that I can get for €180 delivered. It's brand new, with two 1000mah lipo's & charger. Plus a spare set of main rotors. Is that a good price. I'll be buying this evening if ye reckon it is a good one.

:D

So you're went for a collective head. Okeedokee. :)

Welcome to learning the trapeze without a safety net !
    You can break your wallet instead of your bones!
    Have fun!

Don't forget to tell us how long your first flight lasts. :D
    PS If you can already fly ... the last bit does not apply!

Oh I didn't buy anything yet! I've just re read the replies, so now I understand that a twister cp is the collective pitch head. Is it a lot more difficult to learn on one with cp? I do have patience when it comes to stuff like that. I realise I wont be flying around the garden in a few day, I'm prepared to put in the effort.

Should I let this one go and look for a non cp heli?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

With a collective head theres just a bit more to do in setting it up....
    You have to setup a throttle/pitch curve.... starting of have no negative pitch, this will stop you doing a 'chop stick' in case you get into trouble.
    As for flying with a collective, it is a little more sensitive, however theres nothing stoping you setting the same pitch accross the board....
    Having some one to show you starting off would help, however if there is non, read up on them, theres loads of useful info on the web.

With or without CP is like
    the difference between
    what suits "can already fly" (CP) people and "learning to fly" (fixed) people

If you get fixed pitch you an fly within a week.
    If you get CP and can fly it also takes about a week to get the hang of it.
    If you get CP and can't fly you need a friend, or simulator, or cash for lots of rotors.

If you get fixed pitch you will master it, enjoy, then outgrow it. Follow up with CP.

Of those who get CP plenty fall by the wayside, the remainder get help, master it, and possibly don't move up, or possibly do.

Flyers who get CP say "what is all the fuss about?" It is just a new model to them, with new difficulties to master, but nothing too difficult.

Does this help?

syl77 wrote:
    You have to setup a throttle/pitch curve.... starting of have no negative pitch, this will stop you doing a 'chop stick' in case you get into trouble.

Ah ... thats what yed think isnt it?? But if you look at the Heli in question, that comes with the transmitter.... Its factory set, and cant be changed!!

Looking at the instructions, what it says to do is preset the pitch of the rotors by actually moving them physically.
    Mate of mine got one of these and I found that when you increased the throttle, the pitch did not change very much at all. In fact, it would not take off. I adjusted it so it would, but really ment it was not much different than a fixed pitch. Its now at the bottom of a wardrobe.

The only way to make that heli worth using, it to buy it, rip out all the electronics, except the servo, and put in your own reciver + gyro and use your own transmitter.

At least if you buy a cheaper fixed pitch heli and transmitter, you wont have those worries, as all it means is the faster the rotor goes, the more lift you get.

Wow...there is a lot to digest in this thread.
    So for a budget of €200, what would be best to go for? I really dont like the look of the twin counter rotor stuff.

Or is €200 not enough to get anything decent?

Cheers!

• Advertisement

The way I see it is you have a choice.

1. Buy the one you are looking at. From my experience, as it comes with a pre set transmitter, you will have problems.

2. Buy a cheap fixed pitch one, which in reality has more of a chance of working, as you dont need to worry about curves. (there is a twister fixed pitch)

3. Spend more money than you intended, get a nice heli, nice transmitter.

Now as coolwings says you may loose interest. And I really beilve you will if you go for option 1.
    If you go for option 3, you may loose interest, which would suck cos you spent a load of money.
    But if you go for 2... you havent spent a fortune if you loose interest, there is less things to worry about setting up, And more than likely you will get to fly.
    What you think coolwings, would ya agree?

I went for option 3... I was lucky, i didnt loose interest. But it was a very steep learning curve for me.

My budget is limited a little because I recently dropped €400 on a Revo and €200 on a Spektrum DX3.0 :)

My budget is limited a little because I recently dropped €400 on a Revo and €200 on a Spektrum DX3.0 :)

Option 2 for you then?:D

Im off out to me workshop to put some blue aluminium bits on me zoom.....:rolleyes:

The Doktor wrote:
    .... would ya agree?
    I went for option 3... I was lucky, i didnt loose interest. But it was a very steep learning curve for me.

I see it very much the same.

If you want a smaller heli to keep the cost down, stay away from a tiny CP job. In this size the simpler Twister V2 would be fine, but so would a "coax" like the Apache, Bell etc.

If you insist on CP, then move up a size, so the more complex moving components have a bit of strength in them. Zoom 400, Micro Star 400, Twixter 3D are all good.
    So it cost a bit more to do it right? Well life sucks, dunnit !

Every person that is in helis after a few years is not "normal" like the average beginner. You see, all the "average" beginners got weeded out by trying to do it with no skill, no practise, on the cheap, or a funny heli that they couldn't get parts for. Well a year later they are all gone. All of them.

We have seen so many folks say "well I havent got much money to spare, I want my car, beer, holiday, night out, etc, etc. So I want a low cost model, with the cheap radio, and so on."
    Yes right ... and I'd like a Ferrari too!

Well you know what. You can't negotiate gravity down to a lower level by shopping on ebay, or wishful thinking, or hope. Beginners can't ask the ground to retreat from their plunging model because they pretended they couldn't afford a better engine.

Gravity sucks their model down to the ground faster than it sucks ours. Cos we bought some decent power for ours, and we control them better with better components.

There are no liars or posers in model flying, they are all gone, or they haven't crashed it yet but they are getting ready to crash. Model fliers are very practical people. Like boating people who know you can't negotiate with the sea, you live with it in whatever mood it throws at you.

We have seen it all so many times it's sort of pitiful and boring at the same time.

We kinda know (the outcome) in one glance at the beginners choice of gear when he arrives at the flying field. But the established fliers hand out the advise out fresh every time. The instructors instruct and gently suggest that this or that be replaced before something fails. And the "newbie" decides for themselves if they will survive or fail in this hobby. They always do.

A gentle suggestion: if it costs more to get a decent one that flies right, do without something else, or save up a bit longer. :)

The Doktor wrote:
    Option 2 for you then?:D

Im off out to me workshop to put some blue aluminium bits on me zoom.....:rolleyes:

Nothing satisfies like lots of SHINY BLING on a heli, eh? :D

What about the Align T-Rex? Spares seem to be plentiful on ebay.

(Giving myself a higher budget....!)

What about the Align T-Rex? Spares seem to be plentiful on ebay.

(Giving myself a higher budget....!)

ment to be good alright, very similar to the zoom.
    give me a few of the links you are looking at on ebay.

The Doktor wrote:
    ment to be good alright, very similar to the zoom.
    give me a few of the links you are looking at on ebay.

I just typed in align in the radio controlled section on ebay. It brought up about 40 hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Ebay can be useful, and one area would be parts. I wouldnt however buy a second hand heli and radio from it as i think your only buying some one elses problems. New kits - ok!

Align make some nice helis, the 450 is gr8 from the basic X version up to the new SE V2. looking at buying the new 600 myself, batteries are costly though at £190 a pop.

• Advertisement

syl77 wrote:
    ... looking at buying the new 600 myself......

If you hold an Align on hand and a logo in the other hand.
    And look at them both - not catalogue pictures - the actual helis.
    You would want a Logo.

Close up everything on the Align is almost nice enough.
    Close up everything on the Logo is perfectly finished.

Advertisement