Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Sorry I didn't turn up, was dragged kite boarding!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

The Book Club sounds like great fun, I love reading. Can I join? What book are you reading now and when's the next meeting?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 triciac20

can i join too? once i find a place to live that is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi,

Everyone is welcome to join BookClub :)

The book we are supposed to be discussing next is Choke by Chuck Pallin???the guy who wrote Fight Club. Finding it difficult to get however in shops so I might look at switching the order of books to be read around a little.

I'll update tomorrow.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Hi,

Everyone is welcome to join BookClub :)

The book we are supposed to be discussing next is Choke by Chuck Pallin???the guy who wrote Fight Club. Finding it difficult to get however in shops so I might look at switching the order of books to be read around a little.

I'll update tomorrow.
    Thanks

I looked it up on amazon - his name is Chuck Palahniuk. Maybe that's making it difficult to find the book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

It seems that none of the local book shops have this particuliar book in stock! I ordered it yesterday in Charlie Byrnes and they say will have it for me tuesday - good going I thought.
    Hopefully will have it read by next meeting.

Oh and nomination confirmed - Tender is the night F Scott Fitzgearld

Hi All,

Firstly; in relation to our last meeting where we discussed A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini; member's ratings are as follows:

Damien G: "100 pages in. I love the misery so far. Can't grade it yet obviously."

Sarah C: "Brill - couldn't leave it down! One of my favourite books in ages. Stirred emotions and gave great perspective of Afghanistan!"

Server: "6/10 - Very good style, partly realistic, not a great story though. Doesn't delve deeply enough into the psychology of the characters."

Sec: "Brilliantly written, hard to believe the writer is male as it's really from a woman't perspective."

Hugh: "Didn't get to read it but enjoyed the discussion."

Tristan C: "I thought it quite good though a bit melodramatic. Definitely effective though. 8/10."

TristanPeter: "Brialliant book. I finished it late but I really liked what I had read by last Tuesday so I continued with it. I found it amazing to think that what was written about, the different conflicts in Afghanistan etc. was so recent! Eye opening for sure! 8/10."

So that's it. All round, a well liked book. I highly recommended it :)

So, what's this "Think-In" about? Well, as you may have noticed from reading previous posts on this thread, some of the memeber-nominated books are proving difficult to purchase. Choke isn't available in the shops in Galway at the moment and to order it in will take a week more than likely. It would probably take a week also to order it on Amazon. this means that by the 30th Sept. our scheduled evening for discussing it, hardly anyone will have it read. So taking a leaf out of Fianna Fail's book on how to run a country in economic crisis by having a "think-in" at the Clayton (€5 for a pint of lager by the way :eek: in a bar with as much atmosphere as a black hole) I propose we hold a meeting on the 30th instead to discuss the club itself and the more effective running of it in general in future.

I have noticed over the last while from this thread that a lot of questions keep cropping up that are repetitive and this is one of the reasons I want to hold a specific club discussion. These questions are mainly:

* What is the schedule of books to be read?
    * What is the next book to be read?
    * Where and when is the next meeting?
    * Are new members welcome?
    * If I haven't read the book, or I haven't finished it yet, can I still attend?

I want to iron all the nitty-gritty details out seeing as, if I remember correctly, the first BookClub meeting was held in February, approx. 7 months ago! Things like sourcing books on time, help with moderating or appointing more moderators, new members, future development etc. etc. need sorting out.

What do you all think? If this proposal is cool with everyone I would really appreciate that ALL current members and anyone else interested in joining (Except Nathan 251 :D ) please attend on the 30th September at 8pm @ Bar No. 8

Thanks for reading this post. Hope I haven't bored ye too much.
    Hope to see a big turnout on the 30th :)

TristanPeter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Sounds good... I shall be there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 hisroyalbadness

Hey TristanC I've lost my phone over the past ten days but I'll see you at this think in if you're going dude, it's been ages!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Hey TristanC I've lost my phone over the past ten days but I'll see you at this think in if you're going dude, it's been ages!!

Sent ya a PM ;)

• Advertisement

I want to iron all the nitty-gritty details out seeing as, if I remember correctly, the first BookClub meeting was held in February, approx. 7 months ago! Things like sourcing books on time, help with moderating or appointing more moderators, new members, future development etc. etc. need sorting out.

What do you all think? If this proposal is cool with everyone I would really appreciate that ALL current members and anyone else interested in joining (Except Nathan 251 :D ) please attend on the 30th September at 8pm @ Bar No. 8

TristanPeter[/QUOTE]

Hi, just repeating this because it's important in relation to BookClub

Hi, just repeating this because it's important in relation to BookClub

TristanPeter[/quote]

Yep - it was boaring the second time :D

See ya next week on specified day! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 triciac20

ummm wheres bar no.08?

It's on the dock road

It's on the dock road

Just a few doors down from Sheridan's, towards the huge oil storage tanks.

Hello Everyone,

Just a reminder that the BookClub meeting to discuss the club itself and its running in general, will take place this evening at around 8:00pm in Bar No.8.

Your attendance would be appreciated as it's an important meeting.
    TristanPeter :)

*Bump* Nows the chance for any new people to come along and learn about the book club, and have some input into how its run etc.

More the merrier!

I ll be there for the booze! ;)

So Pope Buckfast, what's the story with the sticky now exactly? Will the BookClub thread stay here or is it just that we will bu uploading our reading list here?

For any new members that didnt get to attend- missed literally a treat!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Hi all,

Its great to meet some new people and do something different.

Good luck with Choke everyone!

Link to upcoming books list:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055390490

Thanks to Sec & Tristo for organising the cake!

om nom nom :pac:

Hello Everyone,

This is just a brief synopsis of the BookClub meeting last Tuesday where we discussed the running of the club overall.

We have decided the following:
    * This thread will now become a sticky (with permission of course from moderators) so that members can view core details of the club easily, such as the list of books to be read, where the meetings take place etc.
    * Pope Buckfast will be responsible for updating the sticky.
    * up to 4 books will be nominated in advance of the current one so that members have plenty of time to order them if needs be.
    * If any members who do not currently have a Dubray Books book club membership card for the Galway Book Club, please pm me your details (name, Address, etc.) and I'll get a card for you. 10% discount for club members.
    * Instead of myself or Pope Buckfast writing up the book ratings/member comments after each meeting on this thread, we have decided that in future, whoever nominates the book will post the reply. This should make it much less one-sided in that, I was only ever giving my own views of the books up until recently.

I think these were the main issues sorted. Hope I haven't forgotten anything.

Oh yeah, for anyone who is unaware of the whole "cake" thing mentioned earlier, it was Pope Buckfast's birthday last Tuesday night. It tied in very nicely with the meeting indeed. Great fun :)

Attendees at the meeting included: (pay no attention to my poor spelling of nicknames :))

Tawnii - new member
    Pseudonym1
    Damien G
    Sec
    TristanC
    Pope Buckfast
    Corrine (not a nickname) - new member
    Myself

Think I got everyone?

Maybe we should look at nominating a good horror for Halloween, or something along these lines.

Any suggestions?

Not a bad idea - might be a bit late though would be concerned about not getting the books in time. Besides tbh Choke is scaring me - wish had taken 1st chapters advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Pinkshoes

Hey guys
    Can I join? R are ye full?
    Thanks

You can join indeed Pink Shoes. If you can, try to read Choke by next Tuesday. If you can't, come along anyway :)

You are right Pseudonym, Choke is a bit f**ked up. Weird

Hi Pinkshoes I would recomend you join - its only my second book and I really love it so far.
    I ordered choke from charlie burns took 3 days to arrive in store!
    Its a strange read!
    See you on 14th!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Pinkshoes

Couldn't find 'Choke' in town but borrowed a copy from a friend. Only just started reading it, so I doubt I'll have it finished but I'll come along anyway.
    See ye Tuesday!

• Advertisement

Hi Everyone,

Just as PinkShoes just said; BookClub tomorrow evening at 8 - 8:30, Bar No. 8.

See you then

Advertisement