Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Hey,
    We didnt discuss the book so we can do it next week. We won the pub quiz in the pub instead!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Hi all... is the next meeting on the 10th March? And if anyone has a copy of the book I could borrow I might get it read it time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Groovy Funkster

Hi,
    I'd like to join. Which book is being covered next? On which date?
    Reading back through the thread it looks like Animal Farm but I'm not sure.
    Look forward to meeting you.

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money." - Jack Handey

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hi,
    I'd like to join. Which book is being covered next? On which date?
    Reading back through the thread it looks like Animal Farm but I'm not sure.
    Look forward to meeting you.

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money." - Jack Handey

We're reading Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks and will review it tomorrow night, Bar No. 8 at 8.30. But come along anyway, even if you've not read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hi All,

I'm not going to make it this evening, have a bit of a cold and don't want to share it!

See ya in a couple of weeks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Sorry, wasn't able to make it yesterday - but I'll see you all for sure for Animal Farm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hello Everyone,

I got confirmation at the weekend from the bar lady in Bar No. 8 that they will be opening on Tuesdays as normal. Last week was a once-off. I was glad to hear it :) I think finding another suitable venue around town for BookClub could be pretty tough.

Oh god, the chickienobs are coming!

PS Animal farm next week at Bar No 8? Just to confirm?

Xiney wrote: »
    PS Animal farm next week at Bar No 8? Just to confirm?

Correct.

Hi All,

Reminder that the book club will be meeting tonight at 8:30pm in Bar No. 8 on the Docks to discuss 'Animal Farm' by George Orwell.

As usual new members are very welcome, even if they haven't read the book!

See you later,
    Buckie

• Advertisement

Sorry for leaving it to the last minute but it feels like homework :(

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulkes.
    The story takes place in 3 different times, before World War 1, during the war and in the seventies.
    Stephen Wrayford visits Amiens France in 1910 and has an affair with his host’s wife resulting in them running away together. The affair doesn’t last but Stephen often thinks of her and his time spent in France. He signs up to fight in World War 1 and is sent to France. There in the trenches he experiences the tragedy of war and witnesses the massive effects it has on soldiers and civilians. Stephens’s granddaughter decides to discover more about her grandfathers past and he experiences during the war by reading his diaries and this helps to tie in the three time periods together.

Tristan Peter: Premature 9/10 only as far as page 189 but its brilliant. Very atmospheric, likeably characters, educational and shocking! 

Bethm/Breeda: not finished but 9/10. Not finished because didn’t find the time, very readable and will finish.

Caroline 8/10 Chapters re granddaughter was unnecessary, rest was great.

Ms. Ka 9/10 I loved the book, really gripping from the start. Could have lived without the granddaughter but still brilliant.

Donnacha Burke:n/a

Damien: Can’t wait to read it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dockfive

Hello,

I have never been to the book club before but wouldn't mind coming along. What's the next book and when is the next meeting?

Cheers

Hi Dockfive,

Next meeting is Tuesday the 7th of April at 8:30pm in Bar No. 8, we will be discussing 'Lord of the Flies' by William Golding.

See you then!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hi folks!

I've chosen 'I'm Not Scared' by Niccolo Ammaniti. Should be easy enough to pick up. Enjoy! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Busylizzie

Hi

Looking for book club in Galway, you seem to be still up and running, will you post the book and date for late April when you have it - just back in town after few years and looking for a book club. thanks very much.

I might tag along sometime. I seriously need to get back into reading again.

Hi Guys,

New members always welcome!

The book for tomorrow night is 'Lord of the Flies' by William Golding.

The book for Tuesday April 21st is 'I'm Not Scared' by Niccolo Ammaniti.

See you tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Rosym

Hi,
    The book club sounds like a nice idea- dont think i have the time to get thru lord of the rings before tomorrow evening, but would it be ok to just come along and check it out?
    Thanks
    Rosym

Rosym wrote: »
    Hi,
    The book club sounds like a nice idea- dont think i have the time to get thru lord of the rings before tomorrow evening, but would it be ok to just come along and check it out?
    Thanks
    Rosym

No problem at all. I don't think I'll have it read either but the BookClub is always a good excuse for a beer and a chat :) See you tomorrow evening Rosym

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Rosym wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks
    Rosym

The book is Lord of the Flies and is quite short I read it in a couple of hours although tis prob a bit late now. See you tomorrow night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

i may pop along some time if I'm not still banned although not tomorrow, i studied lord of the flies at school, also at university and even taught it in Spain so I've had enough of it

Nathan251 wrote: »
    i may pop along some time if I'm not still banned although not tomorrow, i studied lord of the flies at school, also at university and even taught it in Spain so I've had enough of it

You were never "banned" from the BookClub. That was only a joke in response to your suggestion for poetry readings at sunset :)

hey,
    I'm not going to make it tonight sorry................. :(

Neither will I. Been struggling with a cold for the past three days and haven't read the book anyway... will be at the next one though hopefully!

Hello Everyone,

After last night's BookClub meeting we have decided to look at a new venue where we can host our meetings. Bar No 8 has been too loud for the last few meetings so we need to find somewhere quieter, but suitable for all members (if such a place exists). So, we are looking for suggestions for a new pub/venue:

Of course we may have to get permission from the pub landlord, so for the moment nothing is written in stone. If you are suggesting a venue, please give reasons why you think it's suitable.

I propose: The Bal in Salthill

Quiet during the week
    3 floors, the top one which is often closed off and would be ideal.
    There is a private bus service also (The Bal Bus :)) which may be available for members to get there or get home afterwards.

Thanks all

if we're moving can we look at somewhere preferably with parking too?

As someone who travels by bus, Salthill would not suit. I would prefer to stick to a central location.

I'm actually going to test out the Galway Social Space this evening with another group. I'll let you know if I think it would be suitable.

There is also the option of using a hotel bar, such as the imperial hotel in Eyre Square. It's very comfortable and I don't think they would have loud music in the evenings. Downside being probably more expensive pints.

Hey All,

Having won the lotto last night, I'm going to Nominate 'The Crying of Lot 49' by Thomas Pynchon.

This makes the upcoming book list look like this:

Tuesday 21st April 2009, discussion of
    'Shooting an Elephant: And Other Essays' by George Orwell
    Amazon

Tuesday 5th May 2009, discussion of
    'I'm Not Scared' by Niccolò Ammaniti
    Amazon

Tuesday 19th May 2009, discussion of
    'The Crying of Lot 49' by Thomas Pynchon
    Amazon

Don't forget to nominate venues please.

I was thinking about Bazaar also (I know it's called something different now). They have a snug area towards the back of the bar with a couple of tables in it. Might be good.

• Advertisement

The Cottage in Salthill ftmfw

Advertisement