Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Ms. Ka wrote: »
    Hope the exam went well :) IT was a small turn out but we did discuss the book which got postive reviews.
    Its my turn to nominate a book again so its going to be American Pyscho by Bret Easton Ellis.

Great, I already have the book. I meant to read it years ago but never got around to it.

Does anyone know if any of the book shops in town have copies of The Crying of Lot 49 available? I checked the library today but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Does anyone know if any of the book shops in town have copies of The Crying of Lot 49 available? I checked the library today but no luck.

I tried Easons, Dubrays and Charlie Byrnes with no luck :(

I could probably take a spin down to Hughes & Hughes during lunch tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Charlie Byrnes' ordered it for me. Only took a few days.

I tried Easons, Dubrays and Charlie Byrnes with no luck :(

I could probably take a spin down to Hughes & Hughes during lunch tomorrow

Will you let me know if you do please Pope B. I'll call into Charlie Byrnes and ask about ordering.

• Advertisement

No dice in Hughes & Hughes...

Hi All,

BookClub meeting this evening in The Cottage Bar, Lr. Salthill at 8:00/8:30 to discuss The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon.

New members always welcome.

See you then
    :)

not going to make it - f*cking work

Apologies again for not being able to make it this evening. I really was hoping to right up until this evening but my final exam tomorrow has put a stop to that, or more correctly, my lack of preparation for the exam :( has put a stop to it.

I will definitely be at our next meeting!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

not going to make it - f*cking work

Think it was your nomination, well it gave rise to a very interesting discussion not all positive, shame you were not there am sure it will be discussed again see you next meeting

• Advertisement

Did anyone nominate a book at the last meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Hey,
    American Pyscho is the next book. We did the lottery as well and should have 2 more book nominations soon.

Hi folks
    Think my nomination's gonna be Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre. Charlie Byrnes has a few copies. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Anyone that's interested, there's a website called awesomebooks.co.uk that sells secondhand books for (mostly) £1.99 with free shipping if you buy two or more books....I see they have loads of copies of Vernon God Little.

Anyway, might be useful for some of you, check out the post on the litrature forum for more info... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055563126

hi have not forgotten I have to nominate a book next couple of days will decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mise19

hey i never knew there was a book club in galway! cool! do you need to be a member or? and is it any ages?

Hi,

It's open to anyone of any age to join. Our next meeting is Tuesday. We start around 8:00 - 8:30 and it's in The Cottage Bar, Lower Salthill. The book we will be discussing is American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis (that name might be spelled wrong :)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mise19

cool thanks - might see ya there :D

Hi All,

Our BookClub meeting will take place this evening in the Cottage Bar, Lr. Salthill around 8:00/8:30pm. We are discussing American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.

New members always welcome :)

See ye later

Hi guys! i won't be able to make it this evening I'm afraid. Really like the book though.

• Advertisement

Sorry about the delay I have chosen To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee as my nomination.

This is for the meeting in four weeks time.
    See you tonight trying to finish Americn psycho before tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Hey I wont be able to back tonight as am off to my holidays tomorrow. I hope people enjoyed the book.

bethm wrote: »
    Sorry about the delay I have chosen To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee as my nomination.

This is for the meeting in four weeks time.
    See you tonight trying to finish Americn psycho before tonight

Trying to finish it too. Only 300 pages to go :) It's brilliant though!

See ye later

Hello Everyone,

The book nominated at our meeting on Tuesday night is called Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow. It is by Peter Hoeg (the o in Hoeg should have a vertical stroke through it) and the book was nominated by Maja :)

So, the reading list is as follows:

1: Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre (Carol123)
    2: To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee (Bethm)
    3: Miss Smilla's Feeling for SNow by Peter Hoeg (Maja)

I just ordered the last 2 on Awesome Books. Brilliant. Only £6 sterling!

Hi folks

Last meeting we were wondering what to nominate next. We thought maybe "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller?:)

carol123 wrote: »
    Hi folks

Last meeting we were wondering what to nominate next. We thought maybe "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller?:)

Great book...

I agree, Catch 22 is a brilliant book. I read it about 10 years ago so I wouldn't mind at all taking a look at it again. So I for one am cool with it :)

Hi All,

BookClub meeting this evening; 8:00/8:30 The Cottage Bar, Salthill to discuss To Kill a Mocking-Bird by Harper Lee.

See you then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rowena P

Hi,
    Interesting thread just wanted to say there is a book launch of a new novel Barbelo's Blood at Charlie Byrnes Bookshop 23rd July 6.00pm.

You are all welcome. Just thought you might be interested, especially as Joseph Heller was mentioned in the previous post. This is a new novel by a local Galway author launched by my husband who is a small independant publisher in Galway. Ken Bruen has read the book and maybe at the launch if work commitments permit and re Joseph Heller thought you might be interested in what Ken had to say

.............................if ever a book warranted the caution..........not for the faint hearted, this is it
    Barbelo's Blood is unlike any other book you'll read.........ever
    Think, of Joseph Heller on Crystal meth
    A wild demented saga of dark and satanic glee
    With wonderful illustrations to match the mood of this neo-gonzo narrative of manic invention
    Tighten your seat belts, you'll never see an 82 year in the same light again

Would love to see the Galway book club members at the launch

• Advertisement

Thanks Rowena, that sounds great. I'll certainly try to make it. Perhaps we could nominate it for BookClub after the launch at some stage. It would be nice to support local writers. What's the author's name?

Are any other BookClub members interested in going? It would be a nice change I'm sure.

Advertisement