Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Rowena P

Just dropped in to say thanks to Tristanpeter and any other members of the Galway book club for coming to the launch of Barbelo's Blood last night it was great to get the support we had a great night and it all went off really well. Once again the support was really appreciated.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Thanks very much for letting us know about the book launch Rowena. I really enjoyed the evening.

Just a little bit about the launch itself:

As you may already know, it was held in Charlie Byrne's Bookstore last Thursday. There was lots of people at it, a lot more than I expected to be honest, but then again, this was the first formal book launch I have been to. The hosts gave out complimentary wine which was very nice :) while a local actor (I can't remember his name) acted out a scene from the book itself. A very nice touch!

Joe, the author, was there to chat to of course, and I even got him to sign a copy dedicated to Galway BookClub :) Later in the evening, after RowenaP formally introduced me to Joe, I asked him if he would consider attending our discussion of Barbelo's Blood. He said he would so, if you all don't mind, I'd like to officially nominate Barbelo's Blood for the club, after White Noise and Cloud Atlas. Is that okay with everyone? He's a very interesting guy, and I don't like to bypass our nomination procedure but I think this is a great opportunity to get feedback direct from the horse's mouth.

By the way, I was warned that the book is not for the faint-hearted :eek:

Here's a photo of myself in Bar No 8 (where the post-launch party was held) with RowenaP (next on my left), the author Joe, and the publisher from Galway Print. Sorry about the poor image quality but it was the best I could do at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Sounds like a great idea to me. Would like to read it anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

cool sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

Hey there,
    Just a thought - Why don't we read Barbelo's Blood before Cloud Atlas ? Seeing as there is a good level of interest and it is fresh in everyones mind it seems a shame to put it off for another 4 weeks.

What do you think ?

• Advertisement

carmex21 wrote: »
    Hey there,
    Just a thought - Why don't we read Barbelo's Blood before Cloud Atlas ? Seeing as there is a good level of interest and it is fresh in everyones mind it seems a shame to put it off for another 4 weeks.

What do you think ?

That might be a good idea. I suppose we can discuss it this evening at the meeting anyway.

So, we are meeting this eve. around 8:00/8:30 to discuss Catch 22 by Joseph Heller at The Cottage Bar Salthill. For anyone new interested in coming along, we usually use the small room directly on the left just as you come in the main entrance.

See you all later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Optimus Whine

White Noise this evening?
    Same time and location?

Yip 8:00/8:30 at The Cottage Bar

hey,
    Not sure if I will make it tonight....

Deffo see ye in two weeks for The Captain:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

can a newbie join??

im new to galway and would love to come along.

not gonna go tonight, as havent read the book, but when and wehre is the next one?
    and whats the next book?

• Advertisement

Anyone is welcome, we meet every 2 weeks in The Cottage bar in Salthill. The next book is Barbelo's Blood, I think.

Hi All,

Just to let you know that I have been in contact with the publisher of Barbelos Blood (Neil from Galway Print). He said that he will ask Joe to attend our discussion of the book on Tue 25th August, and Neil will come along also.

The book is available to purchase in Charlie Byrne's, Dubrays and Easons so get reading everyone and prepare loads of difficult, insightful, brain-teasing questions for the author :)

I will update again when I get a confirmation as to whether or not the author and publisher can attend for sure.

By the way, for anyone who's interested, here's the link to the webpage about the next book:

www.barbelosblood.com

Cool!
    That sounds great...

Btw Dubarys have 2 copies left for 15.99 as opposed to 19.99 elsewhere..

Hi All,

Update: Joe, the author of Barbelo's Blood and the book publisher, Neil have just confirmed that they will be attending the book discussion on Tue 25th August at 8:30, The Cottage Bar, Salthill. Hope to see a big turnout :)

Tristan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Exciting! Going to buy the book this evening, will definitely make it to that one. Guest speakers, the book club is now on a new level! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

That should be interesting not got the book yet but will have it read before then. Might leave car at home and have a pint should be a good night. Hope we have the room at the front could be difficult if not.

Question:

I was wondering if we should all chip in a few quid and get some snacks/finger foods for the next book club meeting seeing as the author and publisher will be attending? What do ye all think? Would it be rude not to have something if you know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mungovan

Question:

I was wondering if we should all chip in a few quid and get some snacks/finger foods for the next book club meeting seeing as the author and publisher will be attending? What do ye all think? Would it be rude not to have something if you know what I mean?

Good idea. I'm up for that, just let me know the details.

Dec

Think thats a good idea and it might also mean that we will be sure to have the room at the front. Will you check out how much it might cost or I could do it if you do not have the time.

• Advertisement

Sounds good, and finger food in the Cottage is lovely.

bethm wrote: »
    Think thats a good idea and it might also mean that we will be sure to have the room at the front. Will you check out how much it might cost or I could do it if you do not have the time.

If you get a chance that would be great Bethm :) Otherwise I'll take a spin out myself tomorrow evening.

Hey,

Here is the snack menu for The Cottage Bar. What do you think we should order for the next BookClub? It looks nice!

The Cottage Bar Salthill - Function Room - Menu

This menu has been designed to give you the widest range of options to suit your needs. All you have to do is decide what you would like to order and let us know.
    A MINIMUM OF 3 DAYS BEFORE YOUR PARTY
    If you have any questions do not hesitate to contact us and ask about help The Cottage Bar Salthill 091 583 723
    All we want is to make it a special night for you and your friends!

Party Menu

Salads

Raw Energy Salad
    €14.50
    Mixed Leaves, Carrot, Beetroot, Toasted Seed, Tomato & Hummus with Nuts
    & a Honey Mustard Dressing

Finger & Tapas Food

Portions of 10:

Sweet Potato and Ginger Spring Rolls €30.00

Goat Cheese & Caramelised Onion Crostinis €18.00

Spicy Falafals with Tahini Yoghurt Sauce and Fresh Mint €18.00

Meatballs in Tomato Sauce €18.00

Home Made Fish Cakes with a Caper Mayo €24.00

Lentil and Vegetable Koftas with Yoghurt & Mango Chutney €25.50

Portions of 10 Skewers:

Thai Spiced Beef Skewers €30.00

Garlic & Lemon Prawn Skewers €35.00

Mediterranean Chicken Skewers €30.00

10 Pieces of:

Fried Chicken in a Buttermilk and Tarragon Crust with a Pepper Mayo €14.50

Meat and Cheese Platter (portion for 8-10 people) €28.00

5 Portions of Fresh Cut Chips with Chilli-Mango Mayo €17.00

5 Baskets of Bread €6.00

Don’t forget that we stock a large selection of International Beers and Wines you can enjoy!!!

More info. can be found at www.winefoodbeer.com

Apologies, have to bump this. It's important.

I won't be at this weeks one, but will definately be going to the next one. Looking forward to seeing what the next book is.

Help anyone read the book am finding it difficult and would love if someone could say its worth getting through the first few chapters need some encouragement any would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

bethm wrote: »
    Help anyone read the book am finding it difficult and would love if someone could say its worth getting through the first few chapters need some encouragement any would be much appreciated.

Not finding it the easiest read myself either bethm. Will stick with it til tomorrow tho. :)

sorry have been off the radar for a few days. Whatever food you decide on Tristan will be grand, just let us know what we owe you for the nibbles.

I am struggling with the book too, mainly because I keep thinking he is a pirate and not an OAP. Am going to power read it tonight. :D

Still at the beginning, a power reading session later is definitely in order Ms. Ka!

• Advertisement

Ms. Ka wrote: »
    sorry have been off the radar for a few days. Whatever food you decide on Tristan will be grand, just let us know what we owe you for the nibbles.

I'll go ahead and order a few things so if that suits everyone. I won't order much because I don't know how many will show up...and I'm pretty broke :) Hopefully it's not too late. Minimum of 3 days notice reqd. according to the menu. So, I'll give The Cottage a call now and we can just split the cost between whoever attends on Tuesday. Is that ok?

I find the book hard to get into in places but then once I do get into it, I keep wanting to know what happens next. Still a long way to go with it yet though.

Advertisement