Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Brian S

carol123 wrote: »
    Hi Brian

The next meeting is Tuesday 26th Sept at 8.30/9pm-ish in the Cottage Bar Salthill. We will be discussing the second half of The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. :)

Great, thanks! When the next book has been chosen I might just pick that up instead and I'll hook up with you all at the following meeting. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

carmex21 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just checking....meeting next Tuesday for the rest of The Master and Margarita?..

Sorry for being a dolt - just lost track in some of the posts....

Thanks

Yup, that's right! Tuesday 6th. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Just to clarify next meeting is
    Tues 6th Oct second half of Master and Margaretta
    Tues 20th Oct Flann O'Brien The Third Policeman

was getting a wee bit confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭carmex21

cool....
    Thanks for those...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

I have stupidly left my half read copy of The Master and margarita back at home is there any chance I can borrow a copy of anyone who is finished it? I really want to finish it for the next meeting and was enjoying it.too....am such an idiot!:o

• Advertisement

Sorry Ms Ka, don't have my copy at the moment but have you looked at Google books? :)

sorry have not finished the book yet hope someone can help

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Hey Ms. Ka,

haven't finished the book yet, busy this week, but hoping to do it over the weekend and beyond. You can have it till then if you want. Leave me a msg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 patsy08

thought you might be interested in a book swap evening that is being held in Lohans, Salthill on Monday 12th October from 8pm. dine to read. ie are organising it.. Just bring three books to swap..its free

Thanks Geekychick, I am trying to download it at the moment so I can listen to it on the iPod fingers crossed.

That book swap sounds brilliant.....I have flipping loads

• Advertisement

No probs, Ms. Ka, let me know if you need it, there is still a bit of time left... I have started on the book again and am finding it a slog now - that magic stuff is getting really tired IMO.

I agree, great news about the book swap evening, gonna be there defo, not least as it's just around the corner from home. But I also need to unload the M&M and the American Psycho - I'm very selective about the company (of books) I keep :D

love the idea of a swap lots to unload see you there on the 12th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I was just looking at Julian Gough's website http://www.juliangough.com/letter-from-berlin-prospect/ because I wanted to know if there's any way that he might be in Galway to attend the discussion of his book (I think he comes to Galway fairly frequently...but I could be wrong). I noticed that one of the reviewers of Jude Level 1, The Sunday Tribune, said that it "Could be the finest comic novel since Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman." Now, isn't that a coincidence :)

Automatic email response:

I hope he doesn't mind me putting this up here but I thought it was funny. It's the automatically generated response to the email I sent to J. Gough

"Thanks for emailing me. As I am a novelist (an utterly untrustworthy breed), and as I run www.juliangough.com myself, and as I sometimes abandon the world of electricity for months while writing a novel, it could be some considerable time before I reply properly. Let me apologise in advance...

But it's very nice of you to get in contact with me, and I do look forward to answering your email when I return from the jungles of Borneo with beriberi and my tattered manuscript.

-Julian"

:D

Hi All,

I only found out a short while ago today that I need to attend an NUI Galway German Society meeting this evening. Hopefully I'll get out of it early and head to BC after. My apologies.

Yea Tristan, needless to say, as our founding father you were greatly missed at our last meeting, HOWEVER far be it from us to argue against the greater good of the NUI Galway German Society. Wir sind resigniert. :)

How is everyone doing with The Third Policeman? Bethm, I took your advice and had it ordered from the Westside Library, but no word yet... I hope none of you my fellow Book Clubbers have got your mitts on it! (Just joking. Fair play if you have, I couldn't be bothered making the trek to the Westside.) :D

It's nice to know that I was missed Maja :). Was it a good discussion? Did everyone like the book? You thought the magic was a bit over the top did you?

The Third Policeman is really good so far. I love Flann O'Brien's style of writing and his wit. It's very similar in style to The Poor Mouth which was excellent. I'm only on page 58 but so far so good. I keep wanting to read more and more which is a good sign for me anyway.

German Society meeting was ok, nothing too special.

Well, there were five of us at the last discussion, and I think that for most of us the magic and the pranks become too repetative towards the end of the book. I, for one, was glad to see the back of it - I think I even liked the Pontius Pilate story more than the Master and Woland one. That said, it is a good book, well written - just not to my taste, I suppose.

Other than that, I am sure you won't be surprised when I tell you that our discussion then veered to such varied and unrelated topics as the merits or otherwise of chick-lit, and Peter Carey's oeuvre, to name but a few... :)

Have a good week, everyone.

sorry I missed the last meeting but just couldnt make it.

Is anyone going to the Book swap tonight?

I was thinking of going. Maybe just for an hour or so.:)

• Advertisement

Yeah I was going to head down, was just wondering if we all will be bringing the same books.:D

Well I think I only one of books I have are ones that we read for the book club, Two Caravans. I'm sure I can manage to part with it.:D

carol123 wrote: »
    Well I think I only one of books I have are ones that we read for the book club, Two Caravans. I'm sure I can manage to part with it.:D

I have two copies of The Bridge Across Forever. Then again, I wouldn't give them to my worst enemy :)

Hi Everyone,

We will be meeting tomorrow evening to discuss The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien. 8:00/8:30, The Cottage Bar, Lr. Salthill. New members are always welcome.

See you then

"It is not clear whether de Selby had heard of this but he suggests (Garcia, p.12) that night, far from being caused by the commonly accepted theory of planetary movements, was due to accumulations of 'black air' produced by certain volcanic activities of which he does not treat in detail."

The Third Policeman, Flann O'Brien. Page 33.

Hi Everyone,

Damien told me that he will be nominating 'Berlin, The Downfall 1945' by Antony Beevor. He said that it could be fairly harrowing.

One other thing, I was thinking that it might be a good idea for anyone who has attended the meetings and read the books to post up their own rating and small review of what they thought of it the particular book being discussed, if you get the time that is. It would be similar to the reviews that we used to put on the attendance sheets but now each person can write their own :) What do ye think?

Pfffft... harrowing, shmarrowing... "Berlin, 1945" sounds like a book with bellylaughs galore. Can't wait to get stuck in! (I am joking, but only just; as you know, I did find the recent few books kind of heavy reading, overall - although great.)

Still ruminating on my own choice for the nomination, but now it is not too urgent at least.

I have to say, I prefer the old way of doing things with having the list of everyone's names and their brief opinions of the current read posted by the Nominator (phwoar! - sounds like Terminator:D) as it would be a more informative record of everyone's conclusions than the new way, however I am fully aware that people haven't been pulling their weight with that (myself included), so really the way you are suggesting is more equitable... so that's a Yes from me.

Matbe we should discuss it further at our next meeting? We also need to look at whether or not we should change which night of the week we hold BookClub on. The problem with Friday is that I would really doubt if we will be able to use the little room in The Cottage Bar. The place is busy enough during the week, never mind the weekend. I'm up for changing it though. I don't mind :)

The problem with Friday? A bit confused here... Did ye discuss changing from Tuesdays to Fridays on the last meet?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Wasn't changing it to a Friday night not just a once off?

• Advertisement

Martty81 wrote: »
    Wasn't changing it to a Friday night not just a once off?

I'm not sure, that's why I said that we should discuss it at the next meeting :)
    Maybe it is just a once-off but I got the impression the last night that getting up early for work the next morning, and in some cases not being able to have a pint was a bit annoying. Maybe I took it up wrong :confused:

By the way, The Third Policeman is a fantastic book. I just finished it last night. I absolutely loved the flowing language used in it and the humour is subtle but brilliant IMO, especially in refernece to de Selby and the narrator. I love how de Selby's ideas are introduced throughout the story by the author and how he takes them so seriously even though there are times when he's not so sure about the credibility of the idea itself such as the black air, the air sacs, the diluted water and de Selby's inability to distinguish men from women :D

However funny the story is though, it is quite bleak overall. I think this is a quote from the book that portrays this:
    "When I reached the barrack I payed no attention to anything or anybody but went straight to a bed and lay on it and fell into a full and simple sleep. Compared with this sleep, death is a restive thing, peace is a clamour and darkness a burst of light."

Seeing as we read the Master and Margarita before this there were some references to the similarity of topics dealt with in The Third Policeman. Both deal with surreal situations and death in general but I think that's where the similarity ends. The Third Policeman for me was much superior. It was beautifully written, to the point and I think by reading it again, much more could be taken from it. We were actually wondering why this book (or similar) is not on the leaving certificate English curriculum :confused: If I remember correctly, I read Wuthering Heights, Of Mice and Men (which was very good but by an American author) and Castle Rackrent (which could have been for the Junior Cert.).

10 out of 10 for me. I'd read it again no problem!

Advertisement