Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Hi all, I have been considering joining a book club, I have had a browse of this forum and quite like the look of it. I am more into sci-fi and fantasy but I do read pretty much anything, how often do you meet?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Well I thought the change to a Friday was going to be a once off. The early start on a Wed doesn't really bother me so much just that if we were to have a weekend night for a change where everyone could have a few pints might be nice.:)

spender.j wrote: »
    Hi all, I have been considering joining a book club, I have had a browse of this forum and quite like the look of it. I am more into sci-fi and fantasy but I do read pretty much anything, how often do you meet?

We meet every other Tuesday at 8:30/9:00 ish in the Cottage Bar, in the little room on the right just inside the door. The next meeting is Tues 3rd Nov. The book we're reading is Jude Level 1 by Julian Gough. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Cheers for that, I may well see you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Hi there,

just a little correction concerning given directions: the room we use for the Book Club is on the LEFT just as you enter The Cottage bar.

• Advertisement

Oops! I meant the other right of course.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Caroline, you just wrote reply number 666 and it's Halloween. Scary stuff! Is there anything you want to tell us :D

We forgot to nominate a halloween book. Last year we read Frankenstein. Then again, The Third Policeman and the Master and Margarita both had themes of death.

Yes. I am the God of Hellfire. :mad:

A Halloweeny book would be a good idea if it's not too late. Maybe a collection of short stories? Edgar Allan Poe or something like that? :eek:

Hiya,

I hope everyone had a good Halloween. I am just, belatedly, baking a pumpkin pie (at least the witching hour is the appropriate time for making this Halloween cake :D), so I was wondering if anyone knows, is it possible to bring some into the Cottage bar on Tuesday? Or would it be a very naughty thing to do, and generally not nice to bring food from home to the premises? I have this problem every year, I have to keep eating the stuff for ages, as I only have a huge springform cake tin, so every cake is huge and becomes boring after a few days... How do ye like pumpkin pie? :)

Anyway... after considering my nomination over the past week, I think I will go for the lazy choice (but lazy doesn't always mean bad, and I would know, hehe) of nominating the book that I recently got at the book swap, so now it is lying around waiting for its turn:

Lionel Shriver: "We Need To Talk About Kevin"

This book got some excellent reviews on publication, so I'm hoping we won't be disappointed... which brings me neatly to -

-Jude... still struggling with Jude... oh well, I guess not every book can be The Third Policeman :rolleyes: Shoulda known how this was going to go after reading Tommy Tiernan's glowing recommendation, as his type of humour doesn't do it for me either. A very individual thing, humour. What do ye say?

geekychick wrote: »
    -Jude... still struggling with Jude... oh well, I guess not every book can be The Third Policeman :rolleyes: Shoulda known how this was going to go after reading Tommy Tiernan's glowing recommendation, as his type of humour doesn't do it for me either. A very individual thing, humour. What do ye say?

I think you have hit the nail on the head with this comment :)

Pumpkin Pie sounds good by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

geekychick wrote: »
    Hiya,

I hope everyone had a good Halloween. I am just, belatedly, baking a pumpkin pie (at least the witching hour is the appropriate time for making this Halloween cake :D), so I was wondering if anyone knows, is it possible to bring some into the Cottage bar on Tuesday? Or would it be a very naughty thing to do, and generally not nice to bring food from home to the premises? I have this problem every year, I have to keep eating the stuff for ages, as I only have a huge springform cake tin, so every cake is huge and becomes boring after a few days... How do ye like pumpkin pie? :)

Anyway... after considering my nomination over the past week, I think I will go for the lazy choice (but lazy doesn't always mean bad, and I would know, hehe) of nominating the book that I recently got at the book swap, so now it is lying around waiting for its turn:

Lionel Shriver: "We Need To Talk About Kevin"

This book got some excellent reviews on publication, so I'm hoping we won't be disappointed... which brings me neatly to -

Pie sounds more appetising than the book see you tomorrow

Love the pie idea and think I feel the same about the book. :)

Perhaps its time to think twice before we nominate a local author again have not had much luck so far.

I was just looking at some of the critic's reviews on the back cover of the book and under the heading 'Praise For Julian Gough:' is the following from the New York Times:

'Julian Gough is not a novelist' :confused:

Doesn't sound like praise to me. I knew as soon as I read that Tommy Tiernan declared this book "the best comic novel I've ever read" it could NOT be good...bar one or two funny-ish snippets. I can't stand Tommy Tiernan. I think he's one of the worst "comedians" I have ever heard...but I can see why this book appeals to him...juvenille and predictable. I think it should be a crime to even compare it to The Third Policeman, as if they have anything in common! For all the surrealism and multiple layers of meaning of The Third Policeman, it's Jude Level 1 that I really don't get. At least it's an easy read though.

Oh God! I couldn't agree more. Saw that review snippet myself. Too true. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 damogood

Hi Galway Book Club.
    As everyone probably knows already, my book nomination is Berlin: The Downfall 1945 by Antony Beevor. I wanted to do a history book, non-fiction, for a change for everyone. I could have picked something a lighter I guess, but the subject matter really interests me. Hopefully its a book everyone can enjoy. Can't wait for the discussion in two weeks time to see what everyone thinks....

OK Damien,

we atually discussed about reading your nomination last night, as a hefty book of non-fiction does not sound like everyone's ideal read, but we will give it a go anyhow - so you better show up! :P See you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 damogood

Well, I'm only on page 30 at the moment. A lot of military terms etc. If you follow the maps at the start and learn to speak german, it should be no problem at all for ye. Joking. Following the maps does make the progress easier to follow though. Its a bit slower also. But otherwise its a really great read. All the main characters are in there, Hitler, Stalin and as usual a heap of other characters you have to get your head around their names. I hope everyone has a stab at it. Would make a great discussion...

I have only read 10 pages so far but I'm finding it really interesting and it pace is fairly quick. Early days yet though.

But on to more pressing matters ...

Looks like it's Friday 13th for our extra Oktoberfest inspired meeting. The Cottage we were thinking and maybe discuss our 5 favourite books instead of the next book. That suit everyone?

• Advertisement

Suits me, Caroline. :)

carol123 wrote: »
    But on to more pressing matters ...

Looks like it's Friday 13th for our extra Oktoberfest inspired meeting. The Cottage we were thinking and maybe discuss our 5 favourite books instead of the next book. That suit everyone?

Thats good for me too cant wait will stay in every night until then thinking of my 5 top books, wonder if Berlin the downfall wll be on my list have just started it, big book will give it my best , see you Fri 13th

Friday the 13th sounds good to me. Thinking of the Cottage is making me hungry...food :)

I was listening to Dave Fanning last nigh on the radio and guess who he was interviewing??? Yes, Julian Gough :) Interesting guy. He's based in Berlin and he was being interviewed about events going on there at the moment in celebration of the knocking of the Berlin wall. He said that he has a book of poetry coming out and he just finished a screen play. I still have to do my Jude Level 1 review...but there's something bugging me about it. I feel like I'm missing something (hopefully) :confused: so I don't want to be too quick to judge it.

I love Berlin. Great city. I've been there 3 times now. The first time I went was about 10 years ago and I'm determined to live there at some stage. Great place and I always found the Berliners to be very friendly and helpful. Anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 deedana

HI would love to join the book club is it alright for new members to come along? Is it on in the Cottage?
    Thanks!!

You are more than welcome to come along and yes it is in the Cottage. The next meeting is Tuesday 17th (Berlin 1945, The Downfall) but we are having a club night out on Friday 13th. You are more than welcome to come along to that also if you like. Should be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 deedana

great thanks a mil :D
    i'll try to pop in next friday to say hi
    and ill be at the next meeting, will get readin!
    Deirdre

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

What time is drinks/book club on this Friday night? Trying to think what my top 5 are...................hmmmmm. Its more difficult than picking a book for book club:D

Ms. Ka wrote: »
    What time is drinks/book club on this Friday night? Trying to think what my top 5 are...................hmmmmm. Its more difficult than picking a book for book club:D
    We never discussed a time but suppose the same time as the Tues night meetings 8.30 ish. Would that suit, Been trying to think of my top five it is quite difficult one tends to forget.

I'll bet there are no problems picking the worst five :)
    8:30 sounds good to me.

• Advertisement

Was thinking about 8:30 too. I definitely have one choice but I've not given it much thought yet really. :)

Advertisement