Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Martty,

it's not that I don't like the book; on the contrary, I think it is a really well crafted and well written novel but the subject matter is just so bleak and unrelenting, I don't think I will be able to read the whole book either!

I know it's cheating really, but I will read the ending, as I kind of know how it will turn out anyway. But now that another baby is being introduced into this awful story, and all the implications it brings with the essence of evil living under the same roof, I find I just can't handle it any more. It is interesting what you wrote about mothers/non-mothers' opinions, as I have a vague awareness that my reaction would most probably have been different when I was still a "non-mother" (i.e. I wouldn't have been as affected by the story).

So, yes, probably a very interesting discussion will take place. :)

Tristan, I agree concerning that typo; shoddy proof-reading AND publishing practice! :D Afraid to say, it is more like standard practice these days, especially with newspapers...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

carol123 wrote: »
    Hey folks
    Have to say I doubt I'll finish it. Didn't take to it I'm afraid. Found the idea of an "evil" baby unconvincing. Halfway through and she doesn't look like giving an opinions as to why a child from a completely conventional background may grow up to commit such a violent act. Dunno, maybe it's the concept that sold copies rather than her examination of the subject.

kind of with you on this some parts I find quite disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

Hi everybody,

I should say sorry. Seemingly I can not convey the meaning. And I told you my opinion before I read the whole. – Big mistake. (My English is so bad I can not believe that somebody could understand me. I sit here too many hours and search the translation of a lot words. It is so difficult but I do my very best.)

The comparison between WNTTAK and Cloud Atlas went wrong. I did not contemplate the contents of the books. I toil myself with “old speech” like Shakespeare and old spelling like in parts of Cloud Atlas. But after a few pages I accustomed to it and I like these books. Only mean the structure of a sentence when I say that it was lulling to sleep. (Could be the translations, or my lack of sleep) One sentence was ten lines long and this again and again. It was very tiring to read.

A large part of the book is derives from the fact that Kevin is bad since he was born. And this is the fact I can not believe (Maybe I live in a imaginary world – but I only will believe one think: Babys are sweet, short and they are innocent.) The rest of the theories are understadable for me: insumountable breach of trust between Kevin and Eva, Kevins attitude of the word (at the most times I better understand Kevin than Eva (in terms of there interpersonal relationship – not his freaky mind). I do not doubt that too many mothers can not love there kids, that is sadly but it occurs too often.

I can’t say with a clear conscience that this book is very good. But it only my way of thinking. Millions of readers do not agree with me and this is all right.
    There is a German book “Feuchtgebiete” “Wetlands” by Charlotte Roche (No, I can not match WNTTAK and Wetlands. They are completely different) This book was sold 1.3 million times, was 7 months on top of the charts, now it is the 22th edition and I will never read this book. I only know parts of it, maybe it is rash to deplore it without reading, but for me this book is obscene and below the belt. All the readers have another view than I and it is great.

I read the whole book (WNTTAK). So it was not so bad that I stoped reading. The beginning and the end was good (The last 100 pages were very good – Would not be the middle of the book so tiring, I would say a brillant book). I only can not chum up with the middle of the book. (And blame is the fact that Kevin should be bad as he was born. – I am sorry. I am padantic.)

For the avoidance of doubt I will write some elucidations.

I consider a great main charater is crucial. I want to read about a person, who I can share the thrill with. Let me explain.
    The book Catch 22: I wanted to know whether Yossarian is at the end alive. He was perfect described.
    The book Clould Atlas has in every story a great main charater.
    The book The third policeman: What shall I say: Wonderful. Flann O’Brien has outdone himself.

And now to WNTTAK. How shall be the main charater?
    Kevin: Kevin should be the anti-hero (or what?) Should I have mercy with with, because his mother do not love him? Should I hate him because he is bad? For me his character does not evolve.

Eva: For me Eva is to surreal. She can not love Kevin. It is clearly with the knowledge from the end that Kevin kills her daughter and husband. But why she visit him in the prison and why she furnish a room for him in her new flat? Just in the beginning she is a agreeable main charater. But in the middle of the book her charater is too spongy. And why she loves him as he is 18 years old (I mean the last page of the book)? Sometimes Eva is describe as a plasent woman and sometimes unplasent. Sometimes I will send her in a therapy and sometimes she normal. I can not put me in Evas shoes. I can not hate her and I can not love her. Her story is not interesting for me.

At this time I come to the spirit of the book.
    The topic is difficult. Yes, in the USA were too many bloody deed in schools (and in Germany too) But this topic was not good descibe. The “Why” is missing.
    All doings of Kevin without the bloody deed are comprehensible. He would destroy what other people love. But the death of the kids and the teacher is incompatible with the context.
    By the way I knew that Eva wrote the letters to her dead husband since the first mention of the court case. (In between I had doubts I have to admit this)
    So why should I read forward, when I know Kevin kills some kids and his father (at this time Celia did not show up yet) and when I do not deem that Eva is a worthy main charater.
    The end of the book rembursed me in relation to how he kills them (but I not realy want to know this – I am too soft)
    Kevin would not tempted to noticeable (in school he get high marks not too high, he has not some favourite things, he has some friends but only a few, …) Why he has the need for glory?

I hope I could this time better say what I mean. And I promise the next time I read the whole book and write only then how I assess this book. Please bear with me. It is my first book club.

Sandra

Not finished yet but have to concur with other reviews, someone used relentless to describe it and that just how I find it. It goes on and on and seems to me to be devoid of hope. The day she decides she wants to be pregnant is the last positive thought regarding the unborn child and its a downhill, depressing journey from there on.

On an even more depressing note am afraid I cant make it tonight hope this does not put ye all over the edge. See you in a couple of weeks, unless another night out is on the cards which indeed would be very welcome.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kerrychick

Hi Linda, was hoping to get somemore info about the Roscommon book club, I am based in Knockcroghery and would be really interested in joining in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi KerryChick, did you send Linda a private message? You probably should just in case she doesn't read this book club thread again.

By the way, my apologies for not making it Tuesday night. I got delayed in col. and by the time I got home it was well after 8. Was it good? Any craic :) ?

Hi Tristan, bethm, and whomever else it may concern,

it was inadvertently a girl's evening at the last BC meeting, and great craic too! I have no clue how we managed to veer from discussing WNTTAK to general gossip and girl talk, but it was good fun :)

I am so glad that we have a new member in Deirdre, and also that we have a core of people who are consistent in their attendance (including you both here, BTW! ;)), as that means each BC meeting does take place for whoever shows up, with the next-to-zero chance of anybody being left in the lurch.

See ye for the Christmas BC, I'll bring some Gingerbread men (love making them) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 deedana

gingerbread men!!! delicious! :pac:
    have'nt started reading christmas bks yet
    the guilt! will get the cliff notes before next tuesday promise...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 deedana

replying to myself not a good sign :p
    but just remembered that David Eggers bk "A Heartbreaking bk of Staggering Genius " was on some best books in whole wide world or some such list in the indep last week. Think we mentioned it at last meeting , maybe we should read it sometime!!

With a title like that how can we NOT read it?:) I'm reading The Dead at the moment. There's something really nice about it but I can't put my finger on it in that so far, nothing much has happened. It's just a Christmas party and yet I want to read more and more. Kind of like American Psycho when the main character is going on and on and on about mundane things...but it was still really interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

Hallo to all,
    One week too early, but I finished both books. Both are so great. Many thanks for the suggestions of them.

The book A Christmas Carol by Dieckens
    I know the story from TV and after I read the book I saw the 3 D film in a cinema. The film is successful but the book is crucial better.
    The topic is clear and popular in fairy tales for children. A bad man changend into a good man. The realization of this topic the real wonder of Dieckens.
    It realizations me into Christmas spirit. In the meantime the drab monotony of everyday life is back, but that is beside the point.
    It was the best christmas story I have ever read.
    Some parts are in my mind and I remember them betweenwhiles.
    Interesting was the description of the lower-income public of this time. I was deeply stirred and at the same time impressed with there luck and there attitude of life.
    The story is aware me of joy of life, Christan love and courtesy.
    (In my book are the stories: The Chimes, The Cricket on the Hearth, The Battle of Life and The Haunted Man too. I will read them gradually.)

The book The Dead by James Joyces
    The stunning finish is shaped by a strong process during the beginning. The excitement continues until the end. Joyces give me enough room to make my own draw conclusions. A book to appreciate and thought-provoking. And this all with funny little things. What more could one want?
    The main topic: the dead
    I think in the the mind of most of us are some people how died. We think of them on there birthday (in Christmas time) and on other days. Joyces write some right things. Sometimes there is a rivalry between the living and the dead. But could the living win? I often praise the dead to the skies. The unpleasant things are irrelevant. It is not fair but what shall I do?
    Another topic: the unfulfilled love
    I am not an expert in the matter of love. But the love triangle between Gabriel, Micheal Furey and Greatta crowded with passion, conflict, jealousy and lust – the ingredients of a perfect story. And it is a perfect in this story. (While I love a "happy end" - but this story is round about rigorous without a happy end. Everything else would be catastrophic for this book.)
    The pride of Gabriel:
    He is a nice guy but also very very pride to the point when he heard Greattas story about Micheal Furey. Than he fall into a sort of limbo.
    More topic:
    Detailed Joyces draw attention topics like politics, confidence, school education, friendship, class distinctions and family. An all these topic bother as day after day.

I wish you all a joyfull christmas book club next week and merry Christmas!

Sandra

Hi Everyone,

How are you getting on with the books? I'm reading A christmas Carol at the moment and I have to say that the weather is very appropriate for it at the moment. Foggy, cold and icy :)

So, tomorrow evening in The Cottage Bar at the usual time of 8ish. Bring your Santa hats too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I haven't read 'A Christmas Carol' but I saw that movie with Bill Murray in it, which more than prepares me for the discussion I think. See you all tonight :pac:

I haven't read 'A Christmas Carol' but I saw that movie with Bill Murray in it, which more than prepares me for the discussion I think. See you all tonight :pac:

And a fine film that is too :D it really sumed up Bill Murray's character (Scrooge) when he suggests that they staple the little antlers onto the mice's (mouse's or is that the comouter mouse?) heads to stop them falling off during the filming of some media production :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Optimus Whine

Hi folks. I haven't made the last few meetings. I'll try to make it tonight, I'm working until 10 so I' ll be a bit on the late side if I do appear.

Hi all sorry I could not make last Tuesday hope it went well. Have enjoyed the Dead did not get to read the other book. What the next few books. Are we having a Christmas night let me know. Need a few good books for over the Christmas.

Hi Breeda,

We didn't pick a book yet. Erika won the nomination and she has yet to pick it. It was okay the other night but our room was taken on us. Bit annoying. We were discussing changing venues maybe.

Hello Book Club,

here's (an ungrammatical) me with our Christmas Book Club write-up. It was a great little evening, with some lovely mince pies (courtesy of Caroline), etc.

Unfortunately, deedana and Pope left us before they could commit their thoughts on these two classics to paper, "but that's ok too" (as Ryan Tubridy would say) - there's always another time. Optimus Whine, on the other hand, requested a grace period for consideration, which was duly granted :D

"The Dead" (by James Joyce)

Carol123: Beautifully written, snippet of the time.
    geekychick: lovely little atmospheric piece, nice character sketches, great time-scale. Perfect.
    TristanPeter: A beautiful short story. Very atmospheric and well written. I loved the way Joyce mentions Dublin city landmarks and also Nun's Island, Oughterard etc. in Galway. Great story!
    Ms. Ka: Didn't get the chance to read "The Dead" fully.

"A Christmas Carol" (by Charles Dickens)

Carol123: Good to re-read it. Very festive!
    geekychick: an ever-relevant morality tale. Also just perfect.
    TristanPeter: "A Christmas Carol" is excellent also but not finished. Happy Christmas everyone :)
    Ms. Ka: Nothing like re-reading "A Christmas Carol" to get in the festive mood.

BTW, I agree with "A Christmas Carol" = festive. My favourite film version is one with Patrick Stewart as Scrooge, but I also love "Scrooged" with Bill Murray. So eighties and SO funny. Some good memories connected with watching that.

John "Galweigan" ;) Huston's "The Dead" is being shown on RTE over Christmas. I will post again to remind you nearer the time (I know, I know... well, I've never claimed I had a life, have I?)

Joining in with TristanPeter, in wishing everyone and everyone's friends and families a happy and joyful Christmas :)

Oh, and Eri - kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,
    may we have a
    ahem ahem
    nomination...? :D

Hi to all

Was sorry to have missed our Christmas meeting read The Dead yet again a lovely read.

Wishing you all a lovely Christmas see you in the New Year.

Breeda

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Merry Christmas to you all!

will hopefully get a good book for nominations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hi all!

Hope everyone has a lovely Christmas and a great New Year. See you at the next meeting.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Happy Christmas and the very best to all for the New Year. Hope to see a lot more of you all in 2010!!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Sorry, should have posted alot earlier.....
    My nomination for book club is my favorite book of all time, Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Be warned its a BIG book but its brilliant.

Happy New YEar

Happy days have been meening to read that for ages just never found the time with so many other books on my list, Looking forward to a lazy post Christmas week with it.

Hope you having a good Christmas see you in the New Year.

Huston's film adaptation of Joyce's "The Dead" is on later today - in the evening, at midnight, RTE 1. If you manage to catch it, enjoy! :)

Have a lovely New Year's.

See ye soon.

Hi there

Have seen it and it is well worth watching, I woulld watch it again it captures the book very well. Am looking forward to the new nomination off to Charlie Byrnes first thing tomorrow.

See you soon
    Breeda

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Hello everyone. I'm polish ,I'm almost 30 ( :/) a love books and I dont know ANYONE who love books to in Galway! (except my boyfriend). I dont know if this is because of jobs I have to do here and people around me ,but it feels horrible. I started feeling that all people around me are just intrested in drinking..and shoping ( I drink sometimes to ,but usualy at home -couse I hate crowds. So I was thinking about the other way to find some interesting people...but I dont know if it works this way- maybe finding good people just happens and you cant "push" it?
    By the way -do you buy all the books you read? I have lots already and I dont have room to buy more... ;)

Hi there
    We meet every second Tuesday our next meeting is tomorrow 5th January we are meeting at the moment in The Cottage bar in lower Salthill we have a room there that is made available for us. Please do come along you would be most welcome. You could buy the books or like most of us we borrow from the library and sometimes you might have the book in your collection.

Hope to see you tomorrow.

the book we are reading at the moment is Shantaram By Gregory Roberts

Hi Surime,

No you don't have to buy the books :) You can borrow them from the library or wherever but really it depends on the book that has been nominated at the time. If it's a new release, it is unlikely to be in the library.

We are having our first meeting of the new year tomorrow evening around 8pm if anyone is interested in coming along please feel free to do so. As far as I know, no book has been nominated yet so you don't have to have anything read for it.

See you all tomorrow evening and happy new year :)

• Advertisement

Apologies Breeda, you beat me to it :) Sh*t, I didn't realise a book was nominated! Ooooooopppppppsss :)

Advertisement