Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭surime

Thank you for welcoming response. I will try to force myself and go ,if not -maybe next time/ I am kind of shy. ;) and I'm afraid I would sit there quiet like as and wont understand what you are saying.. :/( that happens with to many people in the bar).

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Apologies Breeda, you beat me to it :) Sh*t, I didn't realise a book was nominated! Ooooooopppppppsss :)

No worries have not even bought the book yet tried to get it but had no luck could not travel around looking so will try again tomorrow. Maybe we could have another week to read it and discuss it with the next nomination. Looking forward to tomorrow night seems ages since I have attended. See you all tomorrow

Breeda

surime wrote: »
    Thank you for welcoming response. I will try to force myself and go ,if not -maybe next time/ I am kind of shy. ;) and I'm afraid I would sit there quiet like as and wont understand what you are saying.. :/( that happens with to many people in the bar).

Dont worry we have a room just for the book club. Come along and give it a try everybody easy out and you will enjoy we dont take ourselves too seriously

Ok, but I am still scared. ;) Do you read this kind of books:
    "
    1. "The black obelisk" Erich Maria Remarque -genius
    2. "Disgrace" John Maxwell Coetzee
    3. "The magic mountain" Tomas Mann
    4. " The wind-up bird chronicle" Haruki Murakami
    5. "The grass is singing" Doris Lessing
    6. "Crime and punishment" Fiodor Dostojevsky
    7. "The plague" Albert Camus
    8. "Its me Eddie" Edwuard Limonov - very intresting "story" by russian author about his life in NY.
    9. "Solaris" -something from where I come from -Poland! by Stanislaw Lem - SF genius! smile.gif
    10. and "as" 10 there will be whole work by another Polish author Ryszard Kapuscinsky. I dont know what's available in english in Ireland ,but I really really recomend his books: Salman Rushdie wrote about him: "One Kapuściński is worth more than a thousand whimpering and fantasizing scribblers. His exceptional combination of journalism and art allows us to feel so close to what Kapuściński calls the inexpressible true image of war".[4]
    Although he was frequently mentioned as a favorite to win the Nobel Prize in literature, it was never awarded to him. In a 2006 interview with Reuters, Kapuściński said that he wrote for "people everywhere still young enough to be curious about the world."

ps: (I posted this on 10 books before you die or something like this.. )

All good, have read Doris Lessing Woman on the edge of time would be in my top 20. Well you will have plenty of choice when you get to nominate a book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Hmm, maybe tomorrow night we just meet up & talk sh*t? Has anyone bought the book? Its a big book, around 900 pages so a week might be a bit too short.

Happy New Year too!

Ms. Ka wrote: »
    Hmm, maybe tomorrow night we just meet up & talk sh*t? Has anyone bought the book? Its a big book, around 900 pages so a week might be a bit too short.

Happy New Year too!

That sounds good to me but I do want to read that book, If anyone has finished it could I borrow it let me know and I wont try for it tomorrow.

see you tomorrow

Breeda

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Hey Breeda,

You can borrow my copy

Ms. Ka wrote: »
    Hey Breeda,

You can borrow my copy

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

I wish all of you a Happy New Year!

To Ms. Ka: I was shocked as I saw this big, heavy book (Thank for the premoniton and this nomination.) I have to awake when I read it (I not finished it yet. (I am on page 570.)) apart from that I fall asleep and the book lands on my head and I have for the next weeks headache. On a serios note, this book is brilliant.

The book is fascinating, sometimes funny (Prabaker is hilarious), and it makes me contemplative. I love (By the way I think the word love is the mostly used word in this book.) the descriptions of people and of Bombay. It was great to read the philosophical about politics, way of life, faith, trust, treason and certainly love. The cultural of the strange country was fantastic, vivid and with passion for deails described.

As soon as possible I read the rest of this book.

Sandra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hey
    I bought the book. Won't have any more than 200 pages read by tomorrow although I'm really enjoying it.

That list of books looks great Surime. Hope to see ya there!:)

Carol 123 - these are books I remembered the most and thats because this is kind of literature that fills your life with quality ( at least thats the way I feel about good books) :) I wont make it today , but I will have my mind around doing this next time. Just dont feel strong enough for intellectual conversation in english yet. :/ (I am signing up for english classes, so will be getting better and better -I hope) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Optimus Whine

Hi Folks.
    Can't make it this evening, work.
    Maya, I still have your gingerbread bowl, I'll have it for you next time!
    I've read the first 200 pages of Shantaram. Its entertaining, I wont deny that, but there are some issues with the book.
    Fact of Fiction?
    Capitalising on the fascination in The West for The East.
    Superficial cod philosophy- Overuse of bloated metaphors, one dimensional characters, is one mans amazement at the difference of another way of life all that amazing?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Hi there,

that's fine, Optimus, no hurry. :)

I tend to agree with you about "Shantaram", getting a bit tired of the witticisms and grand philosophising by, let's face it, a bunch of chancers, losers, criminals and other assorted "adventurers" who find life enjoyable in the (needless to say) land of lawlessness... I used to live with someone whose past adventures remind me somewhat of this book, so maybe I am a bit too close to the subject not to be annoyed by the shallowness of that world... anyways... maybe I am being unfair, as I am only on page 100.

Laters!

My nomination for 26th Jan is Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck. Enjoy
    see you all Tues week.

Thank you for the nomination, bethm. Looking forward to reading it.

Our next meeting will be on Jan 19th, and the one after that on Feb 02nd, if we are sticking to our forthnightly schedule?

See ye soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Hi guys and gals, do you have many in your group? I am not living in the city at the moment, but I may be moving soon...

I might wander in to yee some week.

Hi there

The book club will meet again on Tues 19th Jan we meet in the Cottage bar in Salthill around 8.30. Books for reading are in previous posts. Good mix male, female and all ages. If you would like to join us you more than welcome.
    B

Hi civis,

wow, moving to Galway city all the way from New Jersey?

Just wanted to clarify for you and also for all the members who weren't there last time, that the book which will be dicussed next time is still "Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts, as the majority of us hadn't read it for the last meeting (which happens sometimes...). I don't think I will finish it, BTW, but that's another kettle of fish :D

Laters!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Letting you know that I have purchased Ulysses, have yet to receive it, but am planning on giving it a good stab in 2010. Breda, I'm hoping your friend is right by saying the first four chapters are the hardest!

I'm enjoying Shantaram but considering I'm 50 pages in I'll reserve the right to changing that opinion for the time being!

Also, link to BMS webpage is below in case anyone is interested in crossing the border to Ballinrobe and seeing how the Mayo women used to do it!!

http://ballinrobemusicalsociety.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

My apologies for not making it to last night. I have an assignment due today which is proving to be much more of a pain in the a** than I thought it would be. How was the discussion?

All BookClub members please check your PMs. I sent you a message. If I left anyone out please try to pass it on for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

A gem of a book I recently read is The Motel Life, by Willy Vlautin. I highly recommend it. It's a short novel too so may be suitable for a book club. I don't attend myself normally but I thought I would suggest it here as I enjoyed it so much. Hope that's ok with you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

gandroid wrote: »
    A gem of a book I recently read is The Motel Life, by Willy Vlautin. I highly recommend it. It's a short novel too so may be suitable for a book club. I don't attend myself normally but I thought I would suggest it here as I enjoyed it so much. Hope that's ok with you guys.

Hi Gandroid,

We actually did that book about a year and a half ago! We even met Willy Vlautin at a gig he was doing in the Crane bar and TristanPeter got him to sign a copy!

5BA34E6FBF1540C1A832791C9A903BE0-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Hi Gandroid,

We actually did that book about a year and a half ago! We even met Willy Vlautin at a gig he was doing in the Crane bar and TristanPeter got him to sign a copy!

Oh boy...how cool. I am very jealous. I would have loved to see him play too...was it just him at the gig or Richmond Fontaine?

It was just him and Paul Brainard (I believe), was a really good gig.

Hey Tristan,

I hope the assignment thing went fine. It was a fairly quiet Book Club last night, "Shantaram" discussed for a while, and then some general gos... you know how it is. :D

We also decided we'd have some cinema outings at times, according to individual tastes, opportunities etc.

Thank you for the PM (great stuff! :)), I forwarded it to Ms. K and deedana. You have pretty much everyone else covered there, I believe.

See you soon, so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 EllieP

Hi there! Myself and a friend are hoping to join your book club, we'd love to come along on Feb 2nd? What is it that you're reading for that meeting? Shantaram/

The book for the next meeting is Sweet Thursday by John Stienbeck. Look forward to seeing you

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

The next book is Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck and we'll be discussing it on 2nd of February. New members are always warmly welcomed!

Advertisement