Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Hi all,

is anyone up for going to see "Nine" on Saturday? It is only playing at 2 pm these days, Eye cinema. Reply here, or those of you who have my ph. no. can text me (we should really exchange the phone numbers sometime before the end of the century...).

Naturally, if you are not crazy about either Hollywood musicals or honorary Irishman Mr. Day-Lewis, give this one a miss. We'll go and see the new Scorsese next up? ;)

On another note, been to the library today, and it seems that they have forgotten to order "Sweet Thursday" for me altogether...ugh. :( I will go on the hunt for it tomorrow in town, hoping there is still time for me to read it for Tuesday somehow!

My nomination coming up very shortly, OK. I am down to a shortlist now... :D

Laters.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hey geekychick
    Sorry I won't make the cinema today but will let you know on Tuesday what days I'm about if that's ok?

By the way At-Swim-Two-Birds is playing at the Town Hall from the 4th to 6th if anyone is interested in a class trip?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Hey Geekychick,

Sorry I cant make it either as am back home in the Big Smoke...
    Enjoy.
    Ms. Ka

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

A class trip to the theatre would be good would say we would have to book it. Perhaps Tues would be time enough to arrange.

Hey hey,

been to see "Nine" today, and generally it's nothing to write home about, so ye haven't missed much... I just like watching my musicals on the big screen. :D

I have also looked for "Sweet Thursday" EVERYWHERE in city centre, no one carries it (bucketfulls of "The Pearl" though!). With the result that I may turn up just for a chinwag on Tuesday.

My nomination for 16th February is "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. With the disclaimer that I haven't read the book as yet, so I can't promise anything, just hoping for the best. I think it was shortlisted for the Man Booker a few years ago, so that is some kind of endorsement at least. I do know about the fantasy twist in the story, so if you don't want a spoiler, try not to be looking it up too much on wiki etc... It took me so much time to think up a nomination this time cos I was constantly thinking of all the fantastic books that I have read through the years, or some great classics, and wondering how ye would like them, but in the end I just thought, well, I want to read something that is new to me too... so there. :)

A theatre class trip sounds fab, these days I really don't see the inside of the old Town Hall as much as I should...

Laters!

• Advertisement

Am in same position as Geekychick ordered on line last Monday and still not here. Anyone finished with it could pick it up tomorrow if possible its a short book so I would well have it read by Tues and if two were available could give one to Geekychick. think ye have my no if not I could pm it.

B

Will be back in town Monday evening if someone wants to borrow my copy of Sweet Thursday?

carol123 wrote: »
    Will be back in town Monday evening if someone wants to borrow my copy of Sweet Thursday?

Thanks am getting a copy from Matty and should have mine on monday morning which I will give to Geekychick. Thats if it all works out if not will be in touch with you Monday,

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

This time I read two books. Before I read the book Sweet Thursday I read the book Cannery Row.
    The first book I read of John Steinbeck was Of Mice and Men. I can not decide which one is the best for me. All of them are great. John Steinbeck did not write I think he painted the compositions. I could make me a picture of the countryside, the roads (like Cannery Row) and of course of the people. What a great poesy. It is comprehensible why everybody is like he/she is. I think it is as somebody told me about my neighbours. Althought I do not like too much of my neighbours. :)
    And with the book Cannery Row I could see still more behind the curtain of Monterey.
    The development of Mack, Doc and the others is sometimes like the real live and sometimes simple funny. It was so much fun to read it. Mack who would like to do the right things and he made again and again funny things which end everytime in a wrong way. (A party for Doc ends in a disaster.) I feel sympathy for Mack.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 deedana

bethm wrote: »
    Thanks am getting a copy from Matty and should have mine on monday morning which I will give to Geekychick. Thats if it all works out if not will be in touch with you Monday,

Hi Happy new year, spring etc everyone!
    will look for book today and read for tomorrow
    happy reading everyone!!
    Deirdre

• Advertisement

Hi Deirdre (and any other new-ish/forgetful ;) members),

in light of your post, which says you'll read the book for tomorrow, I hope you read this, as we are meeting this evening, it's every other Tuesday...

I haven't read the book yet either, only got it from Breeda yesterday, I certainly won't have it read for tonight, but I have made a start... so don't worry about that, just come for a natter.

Incidentally, I got a call this morning from the library, saying that "Sweet Thursday" is in for me, if I want to pick it up - Thank you so much! :D

See ye all in a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 deedana

Sorry lads I dont think I will make it tonight......enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Asryania

ooo can I join?

Of course Asryania,

new members are always welcome. :) Our next meeting is on the 16th February, we usually start showing up between 8 and 8:30. The venue is The Cottage bar in Salthill.

The read for the next meeting is "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

Can I join too?

How will I know who's in the book club as I might be a loner sitting supping pints until I realise I missed the meeting haha :-)

Also - do you guys buy the books new or get them from the library or somewhere else? Just wondering.

Thanks !

MagicM83 wrote: »
    Can I join too?

How will I know who's in the book club as I might be a loner sitting supping pints until I realise I missed the meeting haha :-)

Also - do you guys buy the books new or get them from the library or somewhere else? Just wondering.

Thanks !

Hi!

Sure, everyone's welcome. We meet in the little room on the left just inside the front door. Any time form 8:30 onwards. Some people do use the library, or buy online. Charlie Byrne's or Dubrays are good book shops and easy to order from.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

So it's on every second Tuesday at 8.30 pm?
    do many people attend?
    I'm intrigued to what it would be like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

hyperbaby wrote: »
    do many people attend?

Correct, every 2nd Tuesday. Our next meeting is Tuesday week...I think :)

Usually 5-8 members show up but it can vary quite a bit. It's always great fun tbh.

Hi Everyone,

Apologies for not making it to the last 2 meetings. I was in Berlin for a few days and I didn't even open the book. I'll definitely be at the next one.

hyperbaby wrote: »
    do many people attend?

Well there's quite a few members but not everyone attends each meeting, maybe 6 or 7 people at a time. We talk about lots of other stuff not just book related. It's all fairly relaxed and new members are always welcome. The next book for discussion is 'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

How long does it go on for?

I might go to see what its like, I'm fairly **** at giving strangers my honest opinion though.
    I'm far too diplomatic unfortunately.

It depends may till 11ish but you can leave any time. Dont worry about the discussion we chat about everything.

Hi folks.

My nomination for March 2nd is 'The Glass Room' by Simon Mawer. I've seen it in Dubrays but probably won't be in Charlie Byrnes at this stage. Enjoy!:)

I will definitely come if I can get the book and read it in time, otherwise I will wait until the next one :-)

Hi Everyone,

I just thought I'd put a link up to this seeing as the creator is one of our former BookClub members..."Mungovan" A link was sent around today in college from FilmSoc. It's very good imo :D

There's 2 parts available:

Episode 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aanGGr8oBFc

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

This book is magnificent, moving, oppressive and touching.

It is alarming too. Only the thought that people (or clones) used to be a spare parts depot, is more than evil, that it makes my stomach turn. The alarming is the thought, that it could be true. At the series Dark Angel by James Cameron is clear, that should be Science-Fiction and consequently rather unrealistic. By this book one hopes that it not soon will be real. But unfortunately as things are now in relation to the standard of knowledge of genetic engineering it is not incredible. Take for example the case of the cloned sheep Dolly. And who knows what happen in the laboratories all over the world?

I like that at the beginning of this book not clear is what is it about. I was able to riddle what was the deal with “carer” and “donor”.
    I like shout again and again to the donor: “Disappear! Flee! Search a concealment! Team up yourselves and fight!” But like they accept their fate is still more depressing.

I think the narrative stayle great too. The disclosed inner life of Kathy is factual, not overstated and everytime open to scrutiny.
    Kazuo Ishiguro forgoes of the excessive use of scientific details.
    This book is linger in my memory.
    And for me, I hope I could keep the feeling for a long time, that I should be happy about my luck to be free about my possibilities of make my life like I want. (There is only one limitation: the drab monotony of everyday life.)

I am sorry I could not read the book “The Glass Room”. The German version do not exist yet.

Hi GermanSandra,

I'm glad you liked the book. I liked it too, although I thought that in some places the author was drawing it out a bit. Anyway, expecting a nice little discussion out of it on Tuesday! :)

Hi Everyone,

Our next meeting is tomorrow evening (Tuesday) at 8:00ish in The Cottage Bar, Salthill. We will be discussing Never Let Me Go. See you all then :)

I won't be able to make it tonight as I've not had time to read the book (amazon delivered it only on Friday and I had a busy wkend). But hopefully I will make it to one soon :-)

Are there any nominations for the next book after 'THe glass room' only because I want to get it ordered early.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Go

Advertisement