Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

Please take pity on a German book club fan. Please tell (write) me your views about Never Let Me Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Hello Book Club,

there was five of as at the last meeting:

bethm
    carol123
    deedana
    TristanPeter
    geekychick

As bethm and TristanPeter hadn't had the opportunity to read the book for the meeting, that left three of us:

carol123: 8/10
    Really enjoyed it. Very sad, felt for characters. Wondered why they never thought of escape.

deedana: 7/10
    Great idea, interesting concept to explore, an age old theme of the meaning of art, well written story.

geekychick: 7.5/10
    A very readable novel, with an interesting story. A bit sentimental and repetitive in places.

I'd like to add that I really got into the story easily and found the characters well-rounded, so it was all the more annoying how much I disliked the character of Ruth. I really couldn't see what Kathy saw in her as a friend, as she seemed to be completely two-faced, manipulative and an ultimate back-stabber, with a good dollop of arrogance as well. The other two main characters ended up behaving as her puppets throughout the book, but I guess it all adds to the story... Anyway, a good book.

Reading "The Glass Room" at the mo, an interesting read with a definitive feel of Mittel Europa about it which I love and miss! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

Hi geekychick,

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the summary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

Hi all, i know your reading the glass room at the moment, but has it been decided what the title is after that?
    i would really love to get involved with the book club, but think i have missed the boat on the glass room, plus im i have just started family matters rohinton mistry and its a cannot put down!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Not quite sure if I have the date right but I think I have to nominate for the book club on Tuesday 30th March please correct me if I have the date wrong. My nomination for the night is "One Soldiers war in Chechnya" by Arkady Babchenko translation by Nick Allen.
    I have checked on Book Depository and it is available for around €7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Cheers bethm, I think optimus whine was supposed to nominate something? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I can't believe it; I'm actually getting more than 30 pages through a book. It's been so long :) The Glass Room is fairly easy to read and it's interesting I suppose. The author seems to repeat himself quite a bit I find though. The Glass Room is the place to be ;)

Remember at the last meeting we talked about Lynda Cookson's Tea n Turps...so here's an update: Lynda said that she can come along next Tuesday night for a chat about it and a reading. I suppose we can still discuss The Glass Room anyway so I hope that's okay with everyone?

If anyone wants to get her book it's available in Charlie Byrnes and the bookshop in Moycullen (Martty's favourite place in Ireland :)). Lynda said she will bring a few copies along on the night either way so it will be available if anyone wants to purchase a copy.

carol123 wrote: »
    Cheers bethm, I think optimus whine was supposed to nominate something? :)

Dont know if there are two books before mine , I was one of the two picked at the last meeting I think perhaps you are right optimus should nominate for the meeting after next then the two nominees picked at the last meeting which would mean we should have three books does that make any sense.

I can't believe it; I'm actually getting more than 30 pages through a book. It's been so long :) The Glass Room is fairly easy to read and it's interesting I suppose. The author seems to repeat himself quite a bit I find though. The Glass Room is the place to be ;)

Remember at the last meeting we talked about Lynda Cookson's Tea n Turps...so here's an update: Lynda said that she can come along next Tuesday night for a chat about it and a reading. I suppose we can still discuss The Glass Room anyway so I hope that's okay with everyone?

If anyone wants to get her book it's available in Charlie Byrnes and the bookshop in Moycullen (Martty's favourite place in Ireland :)). Lynda said she will bring a few copies along on the night either way so it will be available if anyone wants to purchase a copy.

That sounds good to me should be interesting, afraid I wont get around to reading the book but looking forward to meeting Lynda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Greetings. This is the poster formally known as Optimus Whine. The gremlins that made boards sick for a few days, those that struck a while ago, indirectly made it a bit of an effort to retrieve my old username, so now Optimus is no more... Ah well.

Couldn't make to the last meeting- the need to earn a crust etc,etc.

I think I'm supposed to pick the book for the meeting after next. In that case I pick The Easter Parade by Richard Yates. It should be easily found in most bookshops.

Legatti, I suggest you should run immediately to find a copy of Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance. It's one of the best novels ever written, seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭legatti

Greetings. This is the poster formally known as Optimus Whine. The gremlins that made boards sick for a few days, those that struck a while ago, indirectly made it a bit of an effort to retrieve my old username, so now Optimus is no more... Ah well.

Couldn't make to the last meeting- the need to earn a crust etc,etc.

I think I'm supposed to pick the book for the meeting after next. In that case I pick The Easter Parade by Richard Yates. It should be easily found in most bookshops.

Legatti, I suggest you should run immediately to find a copy of Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance. It's one of the best novels ever written, seriously.

Read fine balance a while ago, and tales from firozsha baag, so this is the last from rohinton mistry!!! i shall go and get the easter parade and get a heads up... thank you and happy reading :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

So if you go to the first meeting and you haven't read the book it's not the biggest deal in the world?

hyperbaby wrote: »
    So if you go to the first meeting and you haven't read the book it's not the biggest deal in the world?

Exactly Hyperbaby. Anyone is free to come along to any meeting. No one has been shot yet for not reading the book. I have had a terrible track record for not finishing nominations over the last few months but it is definitely better to have read it for your own participation in the discussion; but again, it's not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LyndaCookson

Hi - and thanks to Tristan for introducing me to this group.

I'm looking forward to joining you all at the Cottage Bar this Tuesday evening and hope to be able to bring at least one original painting with me, created by one of the artists featured in the book - just for a bit of variety.

Just to mention, both Charlie Byrnes and Moycullen Book Shop are running competitions for buyers of "Tea 'n Turps". When you go in, make sure they have your contact details if you buy the book, as in about a month's time there will be a draw with the prize being the original painting you'll see in their main front windows (of both shops) from the "Spirit of the Bog, Connemara" series. The painter being moi.

Here's a quick image of one of them - it's a bit shiny as the pic was taken after the painting had been varnished:

SpiritOfTheBogConnemaraTwo72dpi.jpg

See you Tuesday - and thanks for the invite!
    Lynda
    www.lyndacookson.com

Hi All,

BookClub meeting this evening to discuss The Glass Room by Simon Mawer. As usual we are meeting around 8ish in the Cottage Bar Salthill. We meet in the small room immediately on your left as you come in the main entrance.

A guest speaker, Lynda Cookson, author of Tea 'n Turps will also be attending. Lynda will be giving a reading from the book so hope to see you there. New members welcome as always :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

Hi everyone,

Please could someone list out the relevant dates and associated books for the next few meetings, I want to try and get my hands on the books asap.

Thank you :-)

As far as I know the next book is: The Easter Parade by Richard Yates. Nominated by the former Optimus Whine. To be discussed on 16th March.

This is to be followed by: One Soldiers war in Chechnya by Arkady Babchenko; nominated by BethM. To be discussed on 30th March.

Hello Folks.

Once again, it's a bookclub Tuesday and I'm working. I'll try to get there at least for a bit after ten; in order to partly justify posting in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

As far as I know the next book is: The Easter Parade by Richard Yates. Nominated by the former Optimus Whine. To be discussed on 16th March.

This is to be followed by: One Soldiers war in Chechnya by Arkady Babchenko; nominated by BethM. To be discussed on 30th March.

would it be possible to do this for every month?
    For example post the books to be reviewed for April after the next meeting.
    i am going to try and get One Soldiers war in Chechnya and be at that meeting.

We agreed last night that we are going to try to nominate around 4 books in advance so that there is ample time to get the books. So, we have the two mentioned in the last post. Deirdre nominated a book last night which she has yet to confirm and myself, Martty and GeekyChick (I think) have to nominate. That's 6 books altogether. Years ago I started reading 100 Hundred Years of Solitude but I left it on a bus by accident and I had only read about 20 pages at that stage so I am going to nominate it now.

So the book schedule is as follows (and in this order):

The Easter Parade 16th March
    One Soldiers war in Chechnya 30 March
    A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (to be confirmed by Deedana) 13th April
    One Hundred Years of Solitude 27th April
    ....and two more nominations to come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

My nomination is included below. Once GeekyChick has chosen hers it'll be before mine on the 11th May.

So the book schedule is as follows (and in this order):

The Easter Parade by Richard Yates 16th March
    One Soldiers war in Chechnya by Arkady Babchecnko - 30th March
    A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (to be confirmed by Deedana) by Dave Eggers - 13th April
    One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - 27th April
    ??? - GeekyChick's nomination 11th May
    Let The Great World Spin by Colum McCann - 25th May

Turns out this Sundays showing of The White Ribbon in The Town Hall is completely sold out.

Who would have thought two and a half hours of unrelenting grimness would prove so popular?

Mental preparation for the joys of Rag Week, I'm sure.

higamos,

:D

The Glass Room - Simon Mawer

The novel revolves around the home of Jewish businessman Viktor Landauer and his gentile wife Leisel who live in the fictional town of Mesto, Czechoslovakia near the German border. The house, primarily constructed of glass and steel is a foremost example of modernist architecture and the toast of the intellectual circles in which they move. However as war looms the couple must make the wrenching decision to flee the country with their two children bringing Viktors lover, Kata and her child with them. The house is occupied by Nazi scientists conducting experiments and subsequently by the Soviet government who turn it into a rehabilitation clinic for children. The story ends with a return visit from Leisel, accompanied by her eldest Ottilie and the reappearance of Kata’s daughter Marika.
    Transparency is a constant theme throughout the book, an aim of it’s architect Rainer von Abt, although in contradiction it becomes place of secrets in which the characters play out clandestine desires.

geekychick 9/10
    “Great, gripping story, well written. Captures the feel of changing times very well.”

deedana
    “Enjoyable story. Interesting plot about human connections.”

bethm
    “Not yet finished but will read after all the wonderful comments.”

tristanpeter 8/10
    “50 pages to go but so far it’s very good. The characters are very interesting and understandable. At times I feel that the author is (unnecessarily) telling the reader what to think relative to a character’s statements or actions. Tends to repeat himself a bit in terms of metaphors.”

carol123
    “Really enjoyed this book. Good example of how people realise the need to lean on each other. Not over sentimental although the author does convey warmth in a house that is so physically cold.”

SHUTTER ISLAND
    14:25 16:15 17:25 19:15 20:25 22:15 23:25

"Shutter Island" playing in the Galway Omniplex at the above times this Saturday.

We can make it either an afternoon or an evening experience. I suggest everyone puts a vote on their prefered time in, and we do the count on Friday.

I myself am not bound by any particular time on Saturday, so I will await your opinions/preferences! :)

Hi Maja
    I'll probably be working on Saturday but won't know what time until Friday probably. Would definitely be up for going though.:)

geekychick wrote: »
    SHUTTER ISLAND

"Shutter Island" playing in the Galway Omniplex at the above times this Saturday.

We can make it either an afternoon or an evening experience. I suggest everyone puts a vote on their prefered time in, and we do the count on Friday.

I myself am not bound by any particular time on Saturday, so I will await your opinions/preferences! :)

Not too sure about Sat quite yet but would love to go will let you know what time suits tomorrow. How are you enjoying The Easter Parade am half way through and cant quite make up my mind about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Maja, I'd love to go to this. There was a great review on Today fm this morning. Anytime suits me so let me know what ye decide. I'll pm you my number.

SHUTTER ISLAND

Hey maja
    Any time from 17:25 on Saturday for Shutter Island suits me. :)

• Advertisement

SHUTTER ISLAND

Hi I would be up for the movie Sat any time after the 17.25 showing would suit me also just let me know we could perhaps go there together.

Advertisement