Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

OK folks,

going along with your responses, I'd say the time of 19.15 would be the best for everyone tomorrow, so that we don't go too early for carol123, but early enough so that no one misses out on their Saturday night (God forbid :eek:)...

bethm, we can go together of course. Talk to you all tomorrow? (Likewise with any other Bookclubbers who want to join in - you know the venue and the time now).

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Cool! See ye there! Caroline if you want me to pick you up let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Martty81 wrote: »
    Cool! See ye there! Caroline if you want me to pick you up let me know.

Anyone up for a drink after movie coffee of course?

Yes, good idea, we should maybe have a little sit-down discussion while the film is still fresh in the mind... :D

geekychick wrote: »
    Yes, good idea, we should maybe have a little sit-down discussion while the film is still fresh in the mind... :D
    Will give you a call in the morning to arrange to meet up for Movies. Wiill leave my car at home and make our way in together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 damogood

Hi Bookclub. The posters look good, Scozzy film too. Sorry, as usual, have not been following threads. Always forgetting passwords etc. I'd love to see the film with ye guys. Any chance I could moop along with ye????
    Damo

damogood wrote: »
    Hi Bookclub. The posters look good, Scozzy film too. Sorry, as usual, have not been following threads. Always forgetting passwords etc. I'd love to see the film with ye guys. Any chance I could moop along with ye????
    Damo

No problem all welcome will post tomorrow what time we meeting up at the Omniplex. The consensus is we are going to the showing at around 19.15 just keep your eye on the posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 damogood

reviews have not been so bad, so far, should be a good film. Lokking forward to after-match analysis. See Ye there...

damogood wrote: »
    reviews have not been so bad, so far, should be a good film. Lokking forward to after-match analysis. See Ye there...
    Ye looking forward to it too any reviews I heard were good. See you tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Probably won't be able to make it to Shutter Island tonight. Have fun anyways, hopefully it'll induce deep differences of opinion amongst people.

Differences of opinion are brilliant.

Galway Film Society have a showing of Tulpan in the Town Hall tomorrow night at 8 15. Supposedly it's quite good, if anyone is interested. It's about the exploits of a young nomadic Kazakh sheep herder.The consensus from the reviews seems to be- if you see only one film in your life about herding sheep on the Kazakh Steppe, make it this one.

• Advertisement

Hiya folks,

just talked to bethm and she reckons we should get there earlyish this evening (say around 18:45), as her sister just barely got in on an evening showing last night... so it's recommended anyway, and we will be aiming for that time. Why does EVERYONE have to go see a film on its opening weekend?! :mad:

:D

Was thinking the same. Will see ye there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

Hi book clubbers,

Am hoping to come down and join you tomorrow night if you're still planning to be in the cottage? What kind of time and where do you sit?

I read the easter parade on saturday so hopefully you're still be discussing this one?

MagicM83 wrote: »
    Hi book clubbers,

Am hoping to come down and join you tomorrow night if you're still planning to be in the cottage? What kind of time and where do you sit?

I read the easter parade on saturday so hopefully you're still be discussing this one?

Hi Magic
    Yes meeting Tues at around 8.30 and the book we are discussing is The Easter Parade. Because its bank holiday on the Wed we are making it a night out as well as the usual book club all that means is that some of us will have a few pints and leave the cars at home. See you then
    B

bethm wrote: »
    Hi Magic
    Yes meeting Tues at around 8.30 and the book we are discussing is The Easter Parade. Because its bank holiday on the Wed we are making it a night out as well as the usual book club all that means is that some of us will have a few pints and leave the cars at home. See you then
    B

Cool sounds good to me, see you then!

Just so you know, it's the room on the left as you come in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I too was also going to come.
    Is it okay, even though i haven't read the book.
    i bought the book for the following week!

Absolutely, it can't be said enough, the more the merrier!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

GermanSandra 07.5/10

I read very quickly. This book is unputdownable. Although the storyline is in 1930s it could be a story of today. Without kitsch only the hard and real life. Many times the story is dolefully, gloomy but at the same time pleasant. The marvellous of it is, that it could be true. I shared the thrill with both sisters.

Sarah: Different from her sister it seems she had a nearly good life and than bit by bit the readers find out that her life is screwed up too.
    (Please let me know what you think about two questions:
    1. Did Sarah drink so much because she would be like her father (whatever wittingly or unwittingly), or because she could not stomach her life?
    2. Would Sarah torture/offend Emily with the story about the “dentist visits”, or would she boast, or would she ease her conscience?)

Emily: For me is her part (the main part) very hard to appraise. What shall I think? Shall I take it as what it is: A story about a woman, who never found the real love. Just a depressing story about woman, who made of a pen from an autor, who would show us the real hard life?
    Or shall I go the hard way? Shall I think of her life, shall I find paraleles with my life? But that would be the wrong way for me. If I start thinking about all mistakes I have done, …
    So much beer is not here to borne that.
    I will tell you what I will do. I will enjoy every mistake which I have done and every mistake I will make in the furture, because every mistake have a good aspect. And how agonizingly boring would the life be without mistakes? The life is like a chicken ladder. (From top to bottom crappy.) But even thought I know this, I am prepared to live it.
    Résumé: A good book, but full of food for thought.

(I can’t write about the next book One Soldiers War In Chechnya, because it don’t exist in German language.)

P.S. How was the film Shutter Island? Is the film worth seeing?

Another P.S. I wish all of you a wonderful bank holiday tomorrow.

Hi everyone,

Had a great night on Tuesday - was lovely to meet you all and will definitely see you at the next one.
    What time were you eventually kicked out of there?? I got soaked after deciding to walk home, bad idea haha.

German Sandra - thanks for your views on The Easter Parade. It's hard to summarise the group's thoughts on the book as we all had quite different opinions about it. Some were not keen on it and felt that the book didn't engage them at all and felt nothing for the characters.

Others (myself included) felt that by half way through, I started to empathise with the characters and the sister's relationship where an obvious role reversal took place e.g. when sarah was sat on the sofa and emily realised she had lost her teeth, and her own son brought her "juice" like she was a child (except it was obviously alcohol). I found the ending very sad but could understand Emily's outbursts.

I think Sarah drank so much because it was all she knew of adults around her - her mother, father, and in-laws (she seemed to copy her mother-in-law in her manner as well).
    I didn't really think that Emily's 'jealousy' of Sarah's relationship with their father was heavily weighted at all - and I don't think Sarah was boasting about her time with him, or easing her conscience, I don't think she felt it was a big issue and simply mentioned it to her sister as she had not thought to do it previously?

This was the first yates book I've read and I would now read another because I did like the realistic, no nonsense, no frills style - even though it doesn't make for happy endings. But then not all books can be like a disney film I guess ;-)

See you in couple of weeks!

• Advertisement

After initially being quite nervous about going on Tuesday, I had changed my mind quite a few times that evening, I am really glad that I went!

It is a really nice, relaxing room and everyone was really welcoming!
    Thanks for being so nice and for the super yummy cake and really tasty food!

Looking forward to the next meeting :)

Hi there Bookclubbers,

just wanted to say I had a lovely night on Tuesday, thank you for that gorgeous cake, what was left of it was gone pretty quickly I can tell you (well, you have to incalculate my little one here...)! :D

MagicM and hyperbaby, we are glad to have you as new additions, and well done for finally summoning the courage to join us! Good to know we are not too scary after all. ;)

germanSandra, I loved "Shutter Island", and I put it high up among Scorsese's other work, but I have to say it is a dark film with some twists and turns to it, so I don't think that everyone was as crazy about it as I am! ("De gustibus...")

Ciao ragazzi :)

Hi geekychick,

Many thanks for your assessment about Shutter Island. I was in two minds about viewing the film. I saw that film yesterday and I am glad that I went to the cinema. I think that sort of film come better across in a cinema as on television. I have an open mind about your next tip/assessment.

I have on question: What did you mean with: De gustibus?

Hi germanSandra,

glad you liked the film.

Everyone else, I hope you are enjoying the sunshine Sunday :)

De gustibus non est disputandum

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

De gustibus non est disputandum is a Latin maxim. It means “there is no disputing about tastes”[1][2], and is essentially equivalent to the English expression "there's no accounting for taste"[3]. The implication is that opinions about matters of taste are not objectively right or wrong, and hence that disagreements about matters of taste cannot be objectively resolved.

Hi geekychick,

Now I had lerned again something new. Great. In a few month I will be so clever, that I can not understand myself. ;) Thereby I thought, that I will have “only” the chance to read great books, chat with nice people and torture some Irish people with bad English. But seriously folks I never heard/read this maxim in Latin before. I only known the German maxim.

And I don't joke, when I write: Anytime I will know more, so please give me more and more knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for not making it the other night. Busy busy. Did you get a message about a certain table quiz that's coming up soon? What do you think of putting a BookClub table (or two) together for the night? I love table quizzes :) and it's for a good cause. 30th or 31st March I think. Surely all those books that we have read should be of use ;)

Hey Tristan,

yes that Table Quiz thing sounds great to me actually, always wanted to see what an evening like that really looks like. Not to mention I watch University Challenge whenever I get the chance! :D

The only thing is that's taking place next Tuesday at 8, so the exact time of our next BC meeting. What do we do? I would be up for going to the Table Quiz and postponing our next discussion, if the majority of us agree...

What does everyone think?

Hi all

Love the idea of the table quiz but as Geekychick has said what about the meeting scheduled for the Tues. If everybody is agreed we could just meet up for the table quiz just to make sure we get in touch with the new members who turned up last week.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hey folks

I love the idea of a quiz, and the cause too. How about we postpone the book club until the following Tuesday night (also I only managed to get the book yesterday evening)? Could we handle three weeks in a row?:)

• Advertisement

Hey everyone!
    I really love table quizzes too!
    It's a pity it's on the same night.

Advertisement