Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Do ye think it would be possible to get two tables of four for the night? Sec will come along also.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

hi there,

I am just wondering if/when you are going to discuss One Soldier's War in Chechnya by Arkady Babchenko. I only got the book the other day and have not had a chance to begin reading it...I'm also a slow reader :o. I can't seem to find details about the next meeting or book etc. but I recall this book being mentioned a few weeks ago so I ordered it with the intention of going to my first meeting....

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

It will be easy enough to get 8 people to go i reckon.
    what about the book club meeting then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

hyperbaby wrote: »
    It will be easy enough to get 8 people to go i reckon.
    what about the book club meeting then?

Hi everyone,

I like quizzes, and lohans is even closer to me than the cottage. I reckon there'd be 8 people at least in that case.I could handle three weeks in a row - so would it be:

30th march- quiz in lohans
    6th April- discuss One Soldier's War in Chechnya
    13th April - discuss A heartbreaking work of staggering genius

Gandroid - I think the next book (after one solider's war in chechnya) is "A heartbreaking work of staggering genius" by Dave eggers.

Hope you're all having a good week :-)

MagicM83 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I like quizzes, and lohans is even closer to me than the cottage. I reckon there'd be 8 people at least in that case.I could handle three weeks in a row - so would it be:

30th march- quiz in lohans
    6th April- discuss One Soldier's War in Chechnya
    13th April - discuss A heartbreaking work of staggering genius

Gandroid - I think the next book (after one solider's war in chechnya) is "A heartbreaking work of staggering genius" by Dave eggers.

Hope you're all having a good week :-)

OK thanks...I better get reading so. As for the quiz, I would be interested too but I have never met any of yis! I like quizzes though and can normally chip in with an answer or two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Do ye think it would be possible to get two tables of four for the night? Sec will come along also.

We should make two tables easily enough I'd say. Do we postpone the regular meeting so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I think going to the table quiz is a FANTASTIC idea!!

:D;):D;)

carol123 wrote: »
    We should make two tables easily enough I'd say. Do we postpone the regular meeting so?

What if we do what MagicM83 suggested but perhaps leave a two week gap between the last two books i.e. rather than 6th and 13th, what about 6th and 20th?

What about putting your name forward for the quiz if you are interested in getting a table together? That way we will know how many for sure.

Yeah maybe a week would be too short of a time frame for reading a book.
    Both of your suggestions are good though!
    I was getting worried that i wouldn't be able to finish One Soldier's War in Chechnya on time.

I put my name forward for the quiz :D

I was getting worried that i wouldn't be able to finish One Soldier's War in Chechnya on time.

I put my name forward for the quiz :D

But Soldier's War is still to be discussed on the 6th...is that correct? It would be great to get another week! (I feel like a student asking for an extension;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

Hi,

I have to interfering me. Please, please don't change the dates for the book club.

It should be a surprise, but all right: I booked a flight, I booked a hotel and I would like to come to the meeting at 27 th April.

So please, please: indifferent wich book, but please let the 27 th April in your plans.

Hey count me in for d quiz. martty says she's interested too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Yeah I'm all on for the quiz. I'm warning ye now I can get quite competitive at these things!!

Sure can't we do it all!? I'm sure there will be a chance at the quiz to chat about the book and then we can keep on schedule. Whatever we don't get a chance to say we can chat about at the meeting following that.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Hi,

I have to interfering me. Please, please don't change the dates for the book club.

It should be a surprise, but all right: I booked a flight, I booked a hotel and I would like to come to the meeting at 27 th April.

So please, please: indifferent wich book, but please let the 27 th April in your plans.

Sandra, that's fantastic news. Sorry we had to make you spoil your surprise! Whatever happens we'll definitely make sure we have a meeting on the 27th April so you'll be there for it. I think it's alright to say on everyone's behalf that we're all looking forward to meeting you!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Hey everyone,

I had a busy afternoon and evening, so I missed all this ferocious activity on our Book Club thread :D, but anyway:

voting for us taking two tables at the Table Quiz, and although I am kind of scaredy cat regarding participation as I have never done it before, I will be there so I will be able to help making up the numbers. Seems everyone is feeling fairly enthusiastic about it- nice :)

As for the actual dates of our next few discussions, we can talk about it there, have a vote on it or whatever?

germanSandra, great news! Looking forward to meeting you soon, we'll make sure to meet on the 27th April so!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Count me in for the quiz on Tues looking forward to it. and looking forward to meeting you GermanSandra will be good to meet at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Hey Lads,
    Sorry I didnt make it last book club, I am getting to a bad habit of missing them. Am heading to the table quiz as well with some of the tag team so I will see you there. I was wondering if anyone had finished the next book and if so could I steal it to read it for the next meeting please? Sorry am being so unorganised this weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

I'm in for the quiz!

Marrty - makes sense maybe we could just discuss the book after the quiz for a bit?

Looking forward to it - my general knowledge has quite few gaps tho! :D

So, in terms of BookClub teams for the quiz we have:

Bethm
    Carol123
    GeekyChick
    MagicM83
    TristanPeter
    Sec
    Martty

Am I missing anyone? If Miss Ka hadn't gone over to the dark side we would have 8 ;)

What about me?
    Can I be on one of the teams?

• Advertisement

What about me?
    Can I be on one of the teams?

Sorry Hyperbaby, I forgot to mention you. Cool, we have 8 anyway so :)

Cool and the gang!
    I was getting worried there for a minute.

You never know maybe there could be a third team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

You take your eyes off this thread for a few days....

Table Quiz is it?

I could get behind that, are the teams set in stone at this stage? If they are I'd probably still go in a non book club capacity anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

Many thanks!

And deedana wants in too but I think her computer's still on the fritz so that's why she hasn't replied yet. I think we could make 3 tables. If we only had 3 at one table it wouldn't be the end of the world, I'd pay extra. It's for the fluffy puppies! :o

carol123 wrote: »
    And deedana wants in too but I think her computer's still on the fritz so that's why she hasn't replied yet. I think we could make 3 tables. If we only had 3 at one table it wouldn't be the end of the world, I'd pay extra. It's for the fluffy puppies! :o

I have another person who will make up the the 4th so that's great. 3 teams of 4. What's the story with paying TillyGirl? Do we pay in advance or on the night?

I have another person who will make up the the 4th so that's great. 3 teams of 4. What's the story with paying TillyGirl? Do we pay in advance or on the night?

Hey Tristan,

thanks so much ye are legends! Well if ye are definately coming I can keep three tables for ye, I will PM you my number then you can let me know if there are any changes. I can put you beside Ms Ka and her two tables if you want?

Thanks again, the doggies are very grateful!! :D;)

Quiz team members:

Bethm
    GeekyChick
    Martty
    Carol123
    Sec
    Hyperbaby
    Deedana
    Tristanpeter
    Higamos Hogamos
    MagicM83
    Kieran

Who am I missing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I'll be at the quiz too! See you all there :D

• Advertisement

I'll be at the quiz too! See you all there :D

Hey Pope,

if you are coming can you let me know so I can book you a table if you wont be with the bok club? If you are part of the 3 tables thats grand will see you there!

Thanks

Advertisement