Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi Everyone,

Ready for the table quiz tomorrow evening? Base on our last count, we should have 3 tables but it would be great if interested members could confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Aye aye Captain (standing to attention).

Reporting for duty.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Will be there too what time is kick off

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

I'll be there alright. The Lord Flasheart of table quizzes. Woof woof!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

bethm wrote: »
    Will be there too what time is kick off

It starts at 8 I think! See you there.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Count me in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

I'll be there too.

what time are you guys getting there - just before 8ish then?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I'll be there too!
    Can't wait! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

Also,

Isn't the timing wierd considering the awful moscow bombings yesterday and the fact that we are discussing a book about the wars in Chechnya tonight.

Makes it very topical !

I was just thinking that myself when I heard about the bombings and I wished I had gotten further through it so that I would have understood the whole conflict better. A terrible thing to inflict on innocent civilians.

• Advertisement

It definitely is funny timing!
    I'm sure the Russians won't let the deaths go without inflicting some sort of revenge.

The quiz was good fun last night. Didn't do too well but it's taking part that really matters :rolleyes: I hope that EGAR made some money for their cause and thanks for organising it.

It was great to meet our new BookClub members, Hyperbaby and MagicM83...finally :)

So, is this correct? Our next meeting is Tuesday week and we will be discussing One Soldier's War in Chechyna along with A Work of Staggering Genius (that title is probably very wrong).

The quiz was good fun last night. Didn't do too well but it's taking part that really matters :rolleyes: I hope that EGAR made some money for their cause and thanks for organising it.

It was great to meet our new BookClub members, Hyperbaby and MagicM83...finally :)

So, is this correct? Our next meeting is Tuesday week and we will be discussing One Soldier's War in Chechyna along with A Work of Staggering Genius (that title is probably very wrong).

Yeah, I think that's the plan.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Any idea which book is up for discussion for the meeting after next?

Uping the ante with my reading and would like to join in though won't be free to until the end of next month.

Has a meeting be arranged for the 27th April?

Look forward to meeting y'all.

AB.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Have unearthed next topic me thinks... One hundred Years of Solitude.
    Definitely looking forward to this discussion.

Have unearthed next topic me thinks... One hundred Years of Solitude.
    Definitely looking forward to this discussion.

Yep, that's the one! There will definitely be a meeting on the 27th.

Nice to meet you too!
    Pity about the questions, they just didn't suit us on the day :p
    Started the next book today, hope i finish it on time.

Hiya Book Club :)

yes, good craic the other night at the Pub Quiz!

My nomination for Tue, 11/05 is "The House of Stairs" by Barbara Vine.

Enjoy the Easter weekend, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hey Tristan and others!

Just wanted to thank you all for coming to the quiz last week, I know I am a bit late but havent been online since!

So thanks, was a bit hectic and a later night than we expected but we made money for the doggies so thanks very much.

TG :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jumble03

Hello all, I was wondering if it was possible to join the book club? If so, when and where do you all meet?:)

• Advertisement

Hi Jumble (and any other prospective members),

new members are always welcome. Our next meeting is on this coming Tuesday (13/04), the venue is The Cottage bar in Salthill (first room on the left), and we start getting there by 8:30 pm usually. The books we will be discussing are Arkadiy Babchenko's "One Soldier's War" and Dave Eggers' "Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius".

The meeting after that will be on Tuesday 27/04, and the book we will be discussing is Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "One Hundred years of Solitude".

See you soon, everyone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jumble03

Geekychick - that's great, thanks for the information. I'll do my best to make it tomorrow evening :)

So it starts at 8.30, not 8pm?
    just double checking...

I think most of the people actually do show up between 8 and 8:30, hyperbaby. I usually come in sometime after 8:30 ... :o

Don't think any time's ever been set in stone. Whenever suits people really.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Folks sorry I couldn't make it last night. I didn't have the book finished and I'd like to so I thought ye'd all ruin it for me if I was there!!!

Anyhoo, will definitely see ye all on the 27th. I've a lot to read in the mean time though....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

Please write me, when I could write something about this book.
    This time I would not like to write a lot about the topic but I have a few sentences/questions to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Please write me, when I could write something about this book.
    This time I would not like to write a lot about the topic but I have a few sentences/questions to you.

Hi there Sandra
    I will be posting a review of the book One Soldiers War in the next few days just have to think about it. I know you have not been able to read it but you can see what everyone thought of it. Looking forward to seeing you at the next meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Enjoyed my first meeting and it was great to meet some of you, even if I haven't a clue about your names and/or the username connection. The discussion of books and of the numerous other topics which came up made for a very enjoyable couple of hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mskg

Hi everyone,
    I can see from your thread you're all very welcoming but just checking if you could squeeze another member. I'm really interested so I was thinking of checking out "one hundred years of solitude" and maybe joining you on the 27th?

Advertisement