Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

mskg wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I can see from your thread you're all very welcoming but just checking if you could squeeze another member. I'm really interested so I was thinking of checking out "one hundred years of solitude" and maybe joining you on the 27th?

Always room for one more please do come its a good night out we meet in the Cottage bar in Salthill in the room to the left. Next week should be a good night and one hundred years of solitude which I have started reading seems a interesting read.

Hope to see you there kick off 8.30pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

My apologies for not making it the other night everyone. I didn't manage to get too far into One Soldier's War yet but so far it's really good. Thank God I was living in cosy Galway and not in Russia/Chechnya during this conflict :eek: The stories are crazy! See you at the next meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Hiya Book Club,

as we were talking about going to see "Alice in Wonderland 3D" this weekend, I took it upon myself to check out the times at the Omniplex.

As you know, it has been playing for quite a while now, so to say that we don't have a lot of choice is to downplay the severity of our position to a considerable degree. In short:

PGALICE IN WONDERLAND 3D
    14:10

This weekend, Sunday works out much better for me than Saturday would, if it is ok with the majority? Let me know.

Gandroid and Jumble03, it was nice to meet you and good to see our Book Club expanding. The more the merrier for sure :)

Hope to see everyone soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Hey all, out of interest how many are actively participating in the book-club now? I am soon to be back in Galway weekly and hope to join in as I have so far failed to do...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

geekychick wrote: »
    Hiya Book Club,

as we were talking about going to see "Alice in Wonderland 3D" this weekend, I took it upon myself to check out the times at the Omniplex.

As you know, it has been playing for quite a while now, so to say that we don't have a lot of choice is to downplay the severity of our position to a considerable degree. In short:

PGALICE IN WONDERLAND 3D

This weekend, Sunday works out much better for me than Saturday would, if it is ok with the majority? Let me know.

Gandroid and Jumble03, it was nice to meet you and good to see our Book Club expanding. The more the merrier for sure :)

Gosh, we're getting to be a very social book club altogether! I'm on for the cinema again and Sunday afternoon suits me too. If I don't hear otherwise I will assume I'm meeting you there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

I'm ALWAYS up for the movies!

I'm on for that time too on Sunday suits me :)

Movies are feckin mighty!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Ah shucks i have already seen it!
    even though i did fall asleep in the middle of it!

I'll definitely be up for going the next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jumble03

Hello all,
    Great to meet everyone on Tuesday evening!

Gandroid - I'm the same, I didn't too too well on the names - either real or boards ones!

Have ordered the next book and am looking forward to getting stuck in. Unfortunately I'm not free tomorrow, but hope you all enjoy the cinema :-) See you on the 27th

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hey

That time on Sunday suits me too!:)

• Advertisement

geekychick wrote: »
    Hiya Book Club,

PGALICE IN WONDERLAND 3D

Not too sure if I can make the movies will let you know if I can will be tomorrow before I will know if I dont get there enjoy.

OK so, all of you who are coming tomorrow, I will see you tomorrow in the Omniplex at fourteen hundred hours. :D

spender. j, there are now cca a dozen people in our Book Club, about a third of that very recent additions. There will usually be about 6-8 people at a Book Club meeting at any one time. Newbies always welcome! :)

I will be there at 14.00 , over and out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

I know that I have not the right to ask you the following question. So if you think I am right with this please take it for a joke.

What are you thinking about Pompeii by Robert Harris for the BookClub anytime?:o

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

Hello everyone, Any room for a new member??

rbag wrote: »
    Hello everyone, Any room for a new member??

Hi,

No problem at all. Just come along to the next meeting on April 27th, The Cottage Bar Salthill. Discussing One Hundred Years of Solitude. See you then :)

Hi guys - looking forward to the 27th!

Also, if any of you are interested, theres a 'boards' meet up thread now taking votes on where to go, so if you're interested:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055884791

see you tuesday then!

Hi folks

Just wondering if anyone has ordered food from the Cottage? I can do it if everyone's busy. Just need the details as to how many. :)

Food for what Caroline?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shigg

Hi - just wondering what is the age profile of regulars to book club meetings in the cottage? I LOVE their food also!! Cheers.

• Advertisement

I won't make the first half of the meeting so there is no point ordering food for me. I am going to make an appearance though since it is such a special occasion!

shigg wrote: »
    Hi - just wondering what is the age profile of regulars to book club meetings in the cottage? I LOVE their food also!! Cheers.

good mix all over 20 + men and women next meeting Tues 27th April see you there?

Not quite what you could call an enjoyable read. Its harrowing at times and quite jaw dropping when you realise that these were only boys just out of school and were meted out treatment that was inhumane to say the least and this was before they ever saw action. For me it leaves lots of unanswered questions. Its a book that leaves you wanting to know more re the war and the why of it, the history and the ongoing conflict.
    Its hard to comprehend that we are reading about events that took place only about 10 years ago.

Not a book of literary merit but sometimes its good to read something that just tells a story just because it should be told.

magic
    An up-front, honest and at times harrowing depiction of war. I found it mainly unemotional and matter of fact. There was a strong sense of the futility of war throughout. The feelings of worthlessness, neglect and often boredom felt by Babchenko and the other soldier's were conveyed well. Having never read a war book previously, it was good to read this no frills story for a change."

geekycheek
    This was a tough book to read. The atmosphere of the dehumanisation, beatings, warfare and suffering is very gloomy and desperate. 7/10

Carol123
    Author very self involved. After the 1st chapter lost interest story didn't really go anywhere for the 2nd half. 3/10

?
    Did not get to finish it but from what I did read very brutal account of a seemingly futile war.

hyperbaby
    Book made me interested to find out more about the Chechnya conflict. Opened my eyes to a fate that was so brutal. Bit too long. 7/10

ahwosg
    Really liked the first chapter and was hopeful for a great book. The authors ramblings get a bit much to take and made he book boring. 5/10

Looking forward to tonight, yummy food! Anyone drinking tonight?

Am weighing up my options :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

Is there a celebration tonight or are people just hungry for Cottage food? I am coming down but havent finished the book.

germanSandra joining us this evening!

See you all there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

what's the next book after the "house of Stairs"? Sorry I couldnt find it on a post.

Hello everyone,

the playtimes for "The Ghost" in the Omniplex on Saturday are as follows:

THE GHOST
    20:40 23:35

What do ye think? Not much choice there...

Waiting on your replies, and will call it on Friday.

germanSandra, I hope you are checking this thread, you are welcome to join us for cinema, you can PM me if you want to arrange it with me? :)

P.S. Ms Ka, the read for the end of May is Colum McCann's "Let The Great World Spin".

Don't think I'll make the cinema this time around but enjoy! :)

• Advertisement

The 20.40 show would be okay.
    That suits me anyway.

Advertisement