Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Thanks Pope. It should be a really good experience getting to go into the actual studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yeah it'll be awesome... be sure to let us know when you'll be on!

Yeah it'll be awesome... be sure to let us know when you'll be on!

I think it would be best (and most democratic:)) to discuss it with all the members at the BBQ tomorrow. We can then make a collective decision as to who will (or who wants to) go on the show.

Well I'm using my absentee/postal ballot to vote for you TP!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Exciting news, Tristan! :) Galway Book Club gets a national platform!

Seriously, you should be feeling proud. Think back to when you started all this, with just a few broken dreams :p and an uncertain future ahead... and look at how far you've brought your baby! Time for some proper acknowledgment :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

That's damn cool... :D:D:D

We should have a vote on who goes.

The Book Club is going to be famous and the membership will treble overnight! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

That is a glorious news. First Ireland and than I am sure Tristan you will win the whole world over.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Wow, world domination is now only a matter of time.

I'll try to make it to the barbecue tomorrow, but I will be very, very late. Always seem to be working when something interesting is going on.

Also, it would be awesome to see Bret Easton Ellis.

So I walked around trying to find this weeks book, but I could not find it anywhere, so unfortunately I won't be in attendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Regarding the Barbecue, would it be really sly of me to attend? I have only been to one book-club meeting so far... I hope to be there Tuesday though!

Also, congratulations on the promotion of the book club!

• Advertisement

spender.j wrote: »
    Regarding the Barbecue, would it be really sly of me to attend? I have only been to one book-club meeting so far... I hope to be there Tuesday though!

Also, congratulations on the promotion of the book club!

Not going to the birthday party tomorrow night?

higamos, we know you are going to be very late, it is not a problem. It provides a good reason to divide the BBQ into 2 rounds and have other foodie back-up. :)

brokenlaptop, sorry you couldn't get hold of the book. You could come for the next meet anyway, we don't bite, but if you are more comfortable with having the book read, just get cracking on the next one I suppose!

spender, you're very welcome to join us tomorrow, you've been to a recent meeting so it's all above board. We had been wondering whether you were coming or not. Any questions, follow the instructions outlined in post #1039. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bobulus

Hi everyone. I couldnt find the thirty nine steps around town like broken laptop, but thought id let people know that its available online on project gutenberg which has certain classic titles for free. Its short enough so I suppose it wont be that much of an eyestrain to read it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

So I walked around trying to find this weeks book, but I could not find it anywhere, so unfortunately I won't be in attendance.

No worries brokenlaptop, you'd be welcome to come along regardless. It's not a rule that you need to have read the book. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Fantastic news about the Sean Moncrieff book club thing. I've had a look at their list of books and it's not your usual top 100 list so will be interesting to see which one they will ask us to read.

So sorry I missed the BBQ last night, I wasn't on boards for a couple of days and completely forgot about it. There may be another one though before the end of the Summer!?!?

I'll definitely see ye all on Tuesday. It's been a while and I've a few books to catch up on all your opinions on. It may be a long night! See ye then!

Martty81 wrote: »

So sorry I missed the BBQ last night, I wasn't on boards for a couple of days and completely forgot about it. There may be another one though before the end of the Summer!?!?

Martina, I think that's a great idea :) Yesterday was brilliant craic and thanks so much to Bethm for being a great host. We even managed to squeeze a bottle of Bucky into our soiree

Next BBQ at my place. I know how much work goes into tidying up a house after a party-type event so I'll take care of it next time and Bethm can relax.

Thanks very much to GermanSandra too for helping us out :)

You are welcome! How was the weather? How was the wine?

Martina, I think that's a great idea :) Yesterday was brilliant craic and thanks so much to Bethm for being a great host. We even managed to squeeze a bottle of Bucky into our soiree
    Next BBQ at my place. I know how much work goes into tidying up a house after a party-type event so I'll take care of it next time and Bethm can relax.

Thanks very much to GermanSandra too for helping us out :)

Huh..?:confused: Any reason you are using the Majestic Plural, Tristan? :p

germanSandra, we were (kind of) lucky enough with the weather, in that the actual BBQ was done with by the time it started raining last night. After we settled in the kitchen, it pretty much rained on and off for the rest of the night. Very windy too.

I got home at a quarter to 6. Had 4 hours to speed-sleep. :D

Tristan's homemade wine is lovely - much better than the famous Bucky IMHO (which I gather is an acquired taste anyway).

(Please, anyone considering posting any pics, have mercy on my vain self and abstain from posting pics of my washed-out ghostliness on here - sorry, I really don't like pics of myself, they usually turn out arrrgh :(. Maybe post them on the BC facebook page? - I am not on FB, and what I don't see can't hurt me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

Hi everyone,

Yes a big thank you to bethm for having us, had a great time, was pretty sleepy yesterday :-)
    Thanks to germansandra as well for the contribution, there was SO much meat, it was great.

Don't worry geekychick, my pics are not good enough to post anyway, they are pretty blurry etc, lack of a steady hand on my part I think, I wonder why?!!? haha.
    :):eek:

Sounds like a very great, funny evening/night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Hey all, Thanks for allowing me to the barbecue, I had a great time! It sounds like it was a mad affair after I left... good to meet those of you I hadn't before... I am absolutely gutted but I will be unable to attend tomorrow:(, called up to work last minute! I will do my best to join you again soon! J

• Registered Users Posts: 22 deedana

Hi everyone, the barby sounds like a roaring success , sorry i missed it but hopefully there will be a repeat performance. Thats great news about the book club going national! EXCITING !! I'm out foreign at the moment so will miss 39 steps , also failed to notice cinema outings due to internet crash and general stupidity, but will be on for next film.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ms. Ka

hey Lads.

I had a great time and the food was lovely. Sad to have left Galway but hopefully I will be back down. I will be keeping tabs on the thread.

Ms. Ka:D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭antonf

Hi everyone,
    Found your thread and grabbed my interest. I have never attended a book club but would love to come along to one of your meetings. Won't be able to make 6th as hubby is working until 10 but have ordered the next book and it looks really interesting.
    I love reading but am a bit picky on what I read. I have to enjoy it. A few months ago people were raving about The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry but I found it so difficult to read and it was a chore to finish it.
    But it would be nice to meet up with some fellow bookworms and I hope to be able to join ye on the 20th (if ye don't mind). A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Jengirl banned for pimping her website.

/moderation

10/10

For me is it perfect crime story. It is full of suspense, never boring and with political background. (And the old school style – without a love story. – I love both sorts of crime books the old crime story and the new one with a love story as a bonus.)
    I was a bit afraid because I saw the film by Alfred Hitchock and I assumed that more than 80 percent could be the same. The film was really good but more a crime comedy than only a crime story. (During the film I laughed so much. It wasn’t like The Birds, Marnie or Psycho). The book has a lot less things in common with the film that the book topic was new and fascinating until the last page for me.
    The main character Richard Hannay was well-written (detailed description of his character traits and living conditions) so that (even though the story doesn’t play in this day of age) I could imagine that he still walk along the streets of some big city. What I mean is that Mr. Hannay is written as a person from every time and not a got dusty person from the past.
    Even the other characters and the lanscape and everthing else is come across very well. (Insofar as I was inside the story.) I haven’t got anything to grouse.

My bonus is some words about the allusion in chapter 6: The book Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens. That wasn’t the first time I read/see an allusion about this book. In a film I saw I was advertent of it. I went to the library and I began to read it. I was bloody big and not the sort of books I like and I gave it back (I read only about 150 pages). But it seemed to me that this book appertains to the world literature (because it befall me everywhere and again and again) maybe I should give it a second chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 colettelabete

Hello everyone!

Was really nice getting to know you all, I quite enjoyed my first meeting. For the other poor students that can't afford books and don't mind staring at the computer screen for a while, I uploaded the ebook versions of the next couple of books we'll be discussing:

Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim
    A Fine Balance

'Til next time! :)

Cheers,
    Anca

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Was just checking out the Sean Moncrieff Top 100 Books... and there's another list of books that you can read after the first 100 and that you haven't yet died. The link is below but American Psycho is on it AND Jude Level 1!!!!!!! The mention of this book in the same breath as others on that list has disappointed me to the core. Are we sure we want to get involved in this thing?!

http://www.newstalk.ie/programmes/all/moncrieff/finished-the-top-100-books-list/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Welcome Colettebete, hope you enjoyed the first meeting!

I thought I would post the list of forthcoming books because it hasn't been posted since a few pages back.

20th July - Dress your family in corduroy and denim (Deedana's nomination)

3rd August - A fine balance by Rohinton Mistry (MagicM83's nomination).

I would like to nominate The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart.
    It is 540 pages but looking at the way the pages are laid out it might not be that hard to read but since A Fine Balance is quite long maybe it would be best to have Carol123's nomination (The Virgin Suicides) before my nomination.
    Good idea/bad idea?

Advertisement