Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Folks,

I've completed a full book club books listing to date and I've attached it to this post. I also added some other information that we can keep updated from now on in such as the date the book was discussed and who nominated it. I will keep the master of this and update it as we go along.

I completed the list from what Tristan did before and from the posts since then. If I've missed any let me know.

Also, I think it's not a bad idea to put Carol123's book nomination between MagicM83's and Hyperbaby's if this is OK with the group.

All signed up for the cinema club now too so if anyone's going on Tuesday next let me know and I'll see ye there.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Wow, Martty :eek:

Fair play to you! Thanx for that, it's nice to have a neat list like that, that we can reference back to. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 colettelabete

Might I suggested saving the list on Google Docs? That way you won't need to reupload the spreadsheet everytime an update is made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Story,

The book I'm picking for my nomination is The Grass Arena by John Healy. That's several meetings down the line ,as far as I can gather. Probably just as well because I haven't seen it on any of the shelves of our local bookshops, though Charlies could have a copy or two knocking around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

geekychick wrote: »
    Wow, Martty :eek:

Fair play to you! Thanx for that, it's nice to have a neat list like that, that we can reference back to. :)

+1
    Thanks Martty. Great job :) Colettebette's suggestion sounds good to me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hi All!

I've changed my nomination to The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. Should be easy enough to find. Nice summertime read. Bzzz! :)

Might I suggested saving the list on Google Docs? That way you won't need to reupload the spreadsheet everytime an update is made.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AizyyHWRI72LdFNwVmZ4ckJuZGU1LWtmVGk0Uk54MkE&hl=en&authkey=CKir3cwH

Above is the link to the Google Docs shared folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭antonf

I remember reading The Diceman while in college and I can't remember very much of it. Just received my copy of Dress Your Family in Denim and Corduroy. Looks like an interesting and enjoyable read.
    Hope to meet some of ye on the 20th.
    A.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 deedana

thanks for all the work in organising the list of books Marrty81 !

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

I'd like read some words from you about The 39 Steps. Please let me know, if someone except me liked this book. I would be glad when someone swap ideas on this book with me.

• Advertisement

Hi germanSandra,

I really loved "The 39 steps", it is an easy read and it was very entertaining and enjoyable. I don't have much more to say on that, really, as at the meeting it was pretty much agreed that the book is a good read, although it has an altogether flimsy premise for a plot. However, with that type of book you really tend not to care too much.

Like yourself, I give it a 10/10, for what it is - which is a light entertainment espionage caper. It is a classic of its genre for a good reason. :)

(I saw the Hitchcock version and also another, newest version recently, with Rupert Penry-Jones playing Hannay, and those are both excellent, the book lends itself so well to the screen adaptation.)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Nicely summed up geekychick. I really enjoyed the book too but didn't manage to make the meeting last week due to a World Cup semi-final.

Hi All,

I just sent a pm re. Newstalk and Moncreif's Afternoon Show. Apologies if I left anyone out. If you didn't get it, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Would you mind sending it to me?

Hi everyone,

as most of you know, going away for a month very soon. Just went over this whole page, and try as I might, I can't grasp the sequence of the next three decided nominations (starting from 17th Aug).

Is it:

1. Iain Banks: The Wasp Factory
    2. Luke Rhinehart: The Dice Man
    3. John Healy: The Grass Arena
    or is it a different order? If anyone knows, please post now. Otherwise, post whenever ye decide on it - I will be checking the thread on occasion.

Good luck with the Moncrieff thingy too - I am hoping someone will be recording this for posterity? :)

Laters.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Yes that's correct.

The forthcoming books are:
    20th July - Dress your family in corduroy and denim (Deedana's nomination)

3rd August - A fine balance by Rohinton Mistry (MagicM83's nomination)
    17th August - The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks (Carol123's nomination)
    31st August - The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart (Hyperbaby's nomination)
    14th September - The Grass Arena by John Healy (Higamos Hogamos's nomination)

Hi All,

I sent PMs to everyone now re. the Moncreiff Show. As far as I can tell it seems that the majority of members cannot attend due to other commitments and the short notice, or don't want to participate for various reasons. I have to email Newstalk to let them know asap if we are interested or not. Here are the options:

I tell them that it's too short notice and ask them for a later date.
    I tell them that we don't want to participate...
    or, anyone who IS interested, put your name forward so that we can select two members by voting.

PM-ing everyone back and forth is taking too long so I'd really appreciate it if you would put your name forward if you are interested. If there isn't significant interest, I will email them tomorrow or Friday to say that we will not be taking part. Is that fair? Any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone

Yeah Tristan I think that sounds fair. All you need is one more person because I think you should definitely be one of the people to represent the BC. You are our Leader after all!

I think you should definitely try to do it for the date they have sent you. They might not bother if you try to rejig. Surely one other person is available to represent ye.
    Best of luck - hope to see ye on the 20th. A.

Hi All,

I just sent a pm re. Newstalk and Moncreif's Afternoon Show. Apologies if I left anyone out. If you didn't get it, let me know and I'll send it to you.

Doubt I'd make it in September Tristan. I'll probably be away at that time.

• Advertisement

I'll have to rule myself out as well. It's just a bit too close to right now.

carol123 wrote: »
    Doubt I'd make it in September Tristan. I'll probably be away at that time.
    :confused:
    It's been changed to the 27th of July right...

I definitely think Tristan should go as he is the club's president
    I really hope someone else can go to it too, it would be a shame to miss out

Thanks for suggesting that I go but I decided to cancel it with them due to the short notice. I have too much on myself and I wouldn't like to have gone on my own. There may be another opportunity in the future.

I saw on tv the film man on wire. I write you this, because it is about the man (Philippe Petit) in the book Let the great world spin. The film is about the planning, preparation, problemes of the walk over the wire between the Twin-Towers. It was so suspense-packed and interesting to see the real person and to follow the processes. I would like to recommend you this film. Very, very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Bobulus

Hi all. Had to order the greg sedaris book from easons but its likely it wont be in on time. Anyone have any pointers as to where it might be in stock? cheers

If you're talking about Dress Your Family in Denim and Corduroy I got it on Ebay for about five euro from Awesome Books. Ordered it on the weekend and had it by Wednesday or Thursday. It's a nice easy read. A.

Had to order Dress Your Family from Dubray Books myself but for anyone who's looking for it, The Diceman is only e4.00 in HMV. :)

carol123 wrote: »
    Had to order Dress Your Family from Dubray Books myself but for anyone who's looking for it, The Diceman is only e4.00 in HMV. :)

Ah **** I paid €8 when i bought it last October, maybe that's a bad sign...

Story, I havework this evening to the highly sociable hour of ten o clock, but I'll try to make it after that. Better late than never, etc,etc.

• Advertisement

10/10

This book was very, very funny. Grandiose reading to bring joy into the drab monotony of everyday life. I think that this book is not one of the important books in this world, because the thoughtfulness and sustainability of this sort of book is less marked. But as a great entertainment book it win my heart. The indiscreet, ironical, illustrative and detailed view into the life of Mr. Sedaris and his family was enchanting. I could read this book again and again. (Although I am sure that his family view his books in a different light. I don’t want to be in one of them’s skin.)
    During I was reading this book, I laughed so much and many passages I had read to fellow human beings.

Advertisement