Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

10/10

This book was very, very funny. Grandiose reading to bring joy into the drab monotony of everyday life. I think that this book is not one of the important books in this world, because the thoughtfulness and sustainability of this sort of book is less marked. But as a great entertainment book it win my heart. The indiscreet, ironical, illustrative and detailed view into the life of Mr. Sedaris and his family was enchanting. I could read this book again and again. (Although I am sure that his family view his books in a different light. I don’t want to be in one of them’s skin.)
    During I was reading this book, I laughed so much and many passages I had read to fellow human beings.

Have to say I did not get to read the book was too busy. Book club tonight thought it was an easy read. Not too many there tonight but those who did read it I think enjoyed it. Am sure they will let you know. Glad to hear you enjoyed it and it made you laugh, we all need a good laugh now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

bethm wrote: »
    Have to say I did not get to read the book was too busy. Book club tonight thought it was an easy read. Not too many there tonight but those who did read it I think enjoyed it. Am sure they will let you know. Glad to hear you enjoyed it and it made you laugh, we all need a good laugh now and then.

You are so right. To see someone smiling or laughing could sweetens every moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

Hi all,

Just a quick post to say sorry for my absenteeism recently! Lots going on will fill you all in next time I catch up with you.

Geekychick have a great time on your trip.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭antonf

Well I didn't get t meet ye all on Tuesday, we had unexpected visitors. I did enjoy the book but expected a lot more from a homosexual humorist of Greek origin with OCD.
    Never quite got to the laughing out loud stage but maybe I'm being to hard n Mr. Sedaris.
    It was an easy read which is welcome when you have 3 children yelling for attention during the summer holidays.
    Will attempt to make the next meeting. Anyone know where it's easy to get A Fine Balance?

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

antonf wrote: »
    Well I didn't get t meet ye all on Tuesday, we had unexpected visitors. I did enjoy the book but expected a lot more from a homosexual humorist of Greek origin with OCD.
    Never quite got to the laughing out loud stage but maybe I'm being to hard n Mr. Sedaris.
    It was an easy read which is welcome when you have 3 children yelling for attention during the summer holidays.
    Will attempt to make the next meeting. Anyone know where it's easy to get A Fine Balance?

A.

Colettelabette posted a link to download http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T8GGQDPY A Fine Balance, copied to Word it's 644 pages at 12pt, easy enough to read on screen... I'm about to start it! good luck...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

*bump*
    and here's alink that has nothing to do with the book club :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHJwgA54Gqk&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hi folks. Not sure yet if I'll make it this evening, so if I see you, I see you!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 colettelabete

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to make it tonight, am too sick to be wandering around, though I must say that I quite enjoyed the book! Hope you'll have a good conversation. :)

Also, I've gotten the next couple of books we'll be reading in ebook format, and I'll post some download links as soon as I'm back home from work, so don't rush to the library just yet. ;)

I know my rating is boring - again ten points. But what shall I say: The book is just what it is: a brilliant book. Priority in this book have the biographies of four figures:
    1. Dina Dalal: The early death of her father ruined her dream to be a doctor. A few more adverseness and than the next gross clamity: After only 3 years in marriage had her husband a fatality. What meant for her: loneliness, poorness, battles with her brother, landlord, for autonomy. And after every silver lining on the horizon the next harm.
    2. Maneck Kohlah: He is a student who couldn’t get over the avoidable refusal and rejection of his father. And he noticed it too late. A life full of falsities and harm too. His residential home was horror and so he lived in Dina Dalal’s house. And for only one year he has luck.
    3. and 4 Ishvar Darji and Omprakash Darji: Two tailors who go with hopes of money in the city to work and after only a short time they want to go back home (with some reserve assets). But what happened? One disaster after disaster until they are beggars.

The dire living conditions of these four and of miscellaneous supporting actors is fascinating, affectingly and depressing. The power of the state, authority of the state and its dominance was horrifying. The droll parts could relax the text a bit. But after reading this book remains the bad aftertaste of its upshot: The life is ****! And if you think: “Now, the time is come for a better life.” You will be disabused by the reality. The next disaster still wait in front of your door. The book is a grandiose likeness of India, families and the life, but someone whose undertone is bad, could be agree with Maneck’s ultimate opinion. I am so glad that I didn’t grew up at the wrong place and the wrong time. Lucky me. By comparison with their problems are mine trivial.

At least something completely different: I started reading The Wasp Factory and now I know how Guinness would be make. Deeply interesting – therefore the good taste. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 colettelabete

As promised, the next books we'll be reading:

Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory
    Luke Rhinehart - The Dice Man

So far, I'm not having any luck with finding The Grass Arena in ebook format, I might just cave in and buy it, as it seems to be quite interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 MagicM83

Hi everyone!

Sorry again for missing the last meeting - I ended up on a last minute holiday (poor me hahah)

I hope you all liked a fine balance, i've not finished it yet so i've not read your reviews.

Hopefully I'll see you at the next meeting :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi Everyone,

Is the book club meeting tomorrow evening or Tuesday week? I haven't been paying attention lately.

Hi TristanPeter,

You still have one week and one day too read the The Wasp Factory. The next meeting is August the 17th.

Hi Everyone,

I would like to tell you a mystery. Everyone who believe that I read the book A fine balance in only two weeks bark up the wrong tree. I can't read so quickly. I read The 39 Steps and Dress your family in Corduroy and Denim in the half time and so I had four weeks for the book A fine balance. I cheated. :cool:

Hi Everyone,

Is the book club meeting tomorrow evening or Tuesday week? I haven't been paying attention lately.
    Was glad to see your post I have lost track myself although I have read the books. See you on the 17th thanks German Sandra

How could I describe what the book meant to me? In short words: bizarre, strange and gloomy but at the same time funky and fascinating.
    Francis who believe that he’s normal and only his brother is crazy. The whole time I thought: Look who’s talking. And the poor animals (Yes, of course: and every person in this story whether alive at end or not. – But cool idea with the kite.)
    I think that the secret of the workroom of his father protracts over the whole book was great make. (I made only one mistake. I read the last sentence too early (in the middle of the book). Big, big mistake.)
    The fragments of the big picture were perfect distributed. That was a really kinky family. Peculiar story, but not too peculiar.

Oh no Sandra you read the end of the book too early, sh*t!
    I used to do that but stopped when I ruined a book or two.

I loved The Wasp Factory, in fact it is my favourite book that The Book Club have chosen so far since i joined in March. Bare in mind I haven't read all the books.
    I loved how I was hooked in from the start and that the book was so visual. The isolation of where he lived just seemed to bounce out of the page. I also forgot to mention last night about what I found to be the most startling part of the book, for the want of a better word. The part where it is revealed what made Eric "looney" was just shocking, I'm glad i don't have a weaker stomach. Also I really admire anyone who can concoct such an idea as the actual wasp factory.
    Great read and what an ending :D

I hope that I will learn form my mistake. (If I think of it, I would like kick oneself - I stolen myself the great end of the book.)

I suppose it is only normal to want to find out what happens at the end straight away. You will know for the next time!

Are you having a nice summer?

Since Monday it is very wet here. It is more autumn than sommer - I hope that's only a short low. But the weeks before were really sommer. I love this time of the year. Swimming, reading book (book club books) in the sun, listen to the sprout grass, ...

You see Sommer could be great here. What about Galway? How is Galway in sommer?

Well our weather is kinda mixed.
    Sunday was a beautiful day and then the next day it was raining as per usual. Today there was heavy rain, thunder and sunny spells. The two weeks of weather we had at the start of summer are long forgotten.

• Advertisement

It doesn't sound like the perfect weather. Time for sunny dreams and thoughts, distraction with wonderful things (a dry seat in a pub and a beer;)) and the hope of another two weeks with sun and sommer.

The main point is that the heart is shines, than it doesn't matter whether the sun plays hide and seek. I think it's easier to find a smile in the face of someone than to find the sun again. Maybe we will find both. I wish you definitely a sunny and warm rest of the "sommer".

What I found was for nearly one hour the sun, but the people here have unlearnt to smile I think. Poor German people. Maybe the weekend could change something (more sun and more happy people).

Any updates on new book choices?

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Any updates on new book choices?

Sorry about the delay, I had been paranoid about my selection but I decided to nominate a classic, not too big either...

The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien

(if there are any complaints I can change it, not sure if the replacements would be more favourable though:o).

spender.j wrote: »
    Sorry about the delay, I had been paranoid about my selection but I decided to nominate a classic, not too big either...

The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien

(if there are any complaints I can change it, not sure if the replacements would be more favourable though:o).

I am insecure: Do you mean The Hobbit or There and Back Again? Please help me. I don't want to buy the wrong book. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

Do you mean The Hobbit or There and Back Again? Please help me

Hi GermanSandra,

I believe they are two different titles for the same book, I think There and back again is an alternative title for book?

I love The Hobbit (There and back again? ;)), great book to read from start to finish on a lazy afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien

No complaints outta me, seeing we discussed our various takes on fantasy literature at the last meet, it seems appropriate. I'll give it a fair go anyway. :D

geekychick wrote: »
    No complaints outta me, seeing we discussed our various takes on fantasy literature at the last meet, it seems appropriate. I'll give it a fair go anyway. :D
    good choice the Hobbit have it on the shelf for years have always meant to get around to it, at last it will be read.
    I forgot I have to nominate a book will post it over the next few days have to have a think.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien

Aw yeah, great choice of book. Looking forward to re-reading it.:) Wouldn't be so worried about whether everyone likes your choice on not though, it's your call.

carol123 wrote: »
    Aw yeah, great choice of book. Looking forward to re-reading it.:) Wouldn't be so worried about whether everyone likes your choice on not though, it's your call.

Thanks Carol! I'm looking forward to re-reading it myself...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

the last homely house.....

Advertisement