Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 muldoocs

Hi just wondering where you all meet and if its ok to come along?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Likewise, would be interested in attending. I don't know that I would actually have time to get around to reading a book through in two weeks though...

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I'd also be interested in attending! Where do ye meet? What sort of books do ye read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi All,

We meet in The Cottage Bar, Salthill every 2nd Tuesday. New members are always welcome so feel free to loin us. If you haven't read the book, no problem. Call in for a chat anyway. I'm not sure if we are meeting tomorrow night or is it next Tuesday.

We usually use the room immediately on the left as you come in the front door of the pub. See you soon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

New members are always welcome so feel free to loin us.

Sounds hot.

So the book for tomorrow (sic?) is The Hobbit? Excellent - have actually read that one. Shall be there with bells on. Any particular time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

Ficheall wrote: »
    Sounds hot.

So the book for tomorrow (sic?) is The Hobbit? Excellent - have actually read that one. Shall be there with bells on. Any particular time?

Hi,

I think the next books are:
    31.08. The Dice Man
    14.09. The Grass Arena
    28.09. The Hobbit

Ficheall wrote: »
    Sounds hot.

:) Feckin typos

We usually meet between 8 and 8:30 but there's nothing set in stone. Come in whenever (but not before 8 because it's unlikely that anyone will be there).

I'm still not sure if it's tomorrow or Tuesday week. I'll take a look back through the posts. I haven't attended in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

Yeah it's The Dice man tomorrow.
    I usually get there at 8, as do a couple of others so you won't be waiting long...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

:)

I'm still not sure if it's tomorrow or Tuesday week. I'll take a look back through the posts. I haven't attended in a while.

That's disgraceful Tristan! You're our leader and you don't even know when you're supposed to be meeting up with your followers!! For shame, for shame!

I've been lacking in my attendance recently so planning on making amends tomorrow night. See ye all then!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 muldoocs

hi I havent read the Dice man (but will now looking at the reviews). I'll be in for the next time for the grass arena. See you then.

• Advertisement

I repelled the temptation to dice. So I can’t write: “The Die told me to write you.”

What a great book. The idee someone is so bored to dice and not only for fun, but rather for religion or therapy. And especially the other people around the dice man and most of them start to dice too.
    What I think is: The book is funny, diverting, could expand one’s horizons, sometimes provocative and also sometimes quirky. It allows a (funny) view into the human soul and exceedingly unusually. In this way:
    Away with the free will! Give me a dice!

The Die told me that the next book The Grass Arena is too difficult for me to read it in English.
    But I’ll read The Hobbit. I saw the films The Lord of the Rings and I read the most of the books on whose the films based.
    I am very anxious to read the antecedents of Bilbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

my nomination is Less than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Good stuff, bethm. I remember reading the book ages ago, and being struck by the same callous, impersonal style of writing (while writing in the first person) as is displayed in "American Psycho". It is almost like the "American Psycho" in the making...

My nomination to follow shortly.

Hi everyone, and please excuse the double post :o

The truth of it is I have waited and waited for the last few days for someone else to post on here, as I think that double posts are somehow just... unsightly. I'm weird, I know. :(

But anyways, nothing doing, so I may as well proceed with my nomination now, which is

"The Lover" ("L'Amant") by Marguerite Duras.

I hope ye like it! :)

So funny cos I've been waiting for you to post your nomination so I could post mine! I don't think this thread has been as quiet as it has been in the last two wks.

I've decided to nominate The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad.

See you all tomorrow evening!

Thank you Martty.

Let's recap so:

• 14/09 (tonight): The Grass Arena (higamos' nom)
    • 28/09: The Hobbit (spender's nom)
    • 12/10: Less Than Zero (bethm's nom)
    • 26/10: The Lover (my nom)
    • 09/11: The Bookseller of Kabul (Martty's nom)
    Do I have it right? Hopefully so.

See ye this evening! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

It's alive...

The thread shuffles back to life.

Hobbiton this evening.

I'll make it, weather permitting, post-work.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Yeah, will be coming back to the fold myself this evening. A perilous journey to be sure! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

carol123 wrote: »
    Yeah, will be coming back to the fold myself this evening. A perilous journey to be sure! :eek:

I'l see you all there then! To Hobbiton... :)

It was very enjoyable book. At first view only a book for children, but there’s more behind it. More as fight good against evil. Lots of short adventures of a Hobbit called Bilbo, with magic, fighting and stories about friendship and cohesion. I’m only sad, that I didn’t read it in my schooltime. I’m sure I would have read more books as I was a child, when read books like that one. But better now than never.

And it was a good “cooling” for another book I read at the same time (American Psycho). A very strange book. And I don’t know the most of the trade names. Before the story becomes too strong, there it always help with a calmer part. I think it’s a great mix. I am really curios for Less Than Zero.

Another book I read is The Sea by John Banville. I know it’s a long time ago, since you read it (Am I right, if I write that it was the 1st July 2008?). It made me a very dark mood. There’s no hope inside, no luck. Please don’t misunderstand me. The book is well writen and easy to read, but it’s full of harm.

It would be a pleasure for me, when someone of you will write me about one or all of these three books with me.

• Advertisement

Hi all. I've selected the next book for nomination. The Ministry for Special Cases by Nathan Englander. Enjoy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Hi guys!
    I was talking about this yesterday.
    http://filmbase.ie/news/index.php/2010/09/17/manhattan-short-film-festival-screenings-in-ireland/
    Do any of ye have any interest?
    I'm going anyway.
    It was very good last year and you get to vote for your favourite too.

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    I was talking about this yesterday.
    http://filmbase.ie/news/index.php/2010/09/17/manhattan-short-film-festival-screenings-in-ireland/
    Do any of ye have any interest?
    I'm going anyway.
    It was very good last year and you get to vote for your favourite too.

Yeah I'd definitely be interested in that. PM me your number and I'll meet you there on Sunday.

Hi GermanSandra (and all the other BookClubbers who missed last nights' meet),

there was 5 of us at the BC meet at any point in time last night. So, yet again, small but pleasant. :)

We discussed "The Hobbit" by JRR Tolkien. Some of us haven't read the book in full (I myself had achieved a bit more than half) and some of us haven't re-read it after a long time... I feel that the discussion itself was somewhat brief but to-the-point. Most people seem to enjoy the book, and I found it quite quaint, very English in its general feel and atmosphere, and a very easy read.

Honestly, I was surprised to find it such an easy read, as I was never particularly interested in fantasy, but then again, perhaps I shouldn't be surprised, since this is usually acclaimed as "creme de la creme" of fantasy fiction.

I just found its old-fashioned Englishness so funny for a fantasy novel that is supposed to be set God knows where and when - it is as much about having tea with seed cakes, honey and clotted cream, and at all times addressing each other very properly, as it is about anything else! :D

Glad you enjoyed the book, too, GermanSandra.

As for the "American Psycho", we read the book for 02nd of June 2009 (this was incidentally my very first BC meet, that's how I know ;)), and I remember that most people loved it (including myself). It is first-rate writing, really. I will leave it for someone else to elaborate on the novel, if they so wish, as I will in the case of "The Sea" (I've never read it).

My head has felt like a clockwork mechanism all day today. It's probably from getting soaked in the rain early yesterday - argh, feeling this ill is the worst! :(

Anyway, chat soon, everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Martty81 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd definitely be interested in that. PM me your number and I'll meet you there on Sunday.

Okay will do... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 drpenny

Hey, just wondering if new members are welcome? Where/when are meetings held?

New members are always welcome. Meetings are held every 2nd Tuesday in the Cottage Bar, Salthill. We generally start around 8ish.

My apologies to all the other members for not showing up to the last few meetings. I'll determined to get to the next meeting so hope to chat to you all then :) Probably won't have the book read but I'll try.

Good to know Tristan. Just to add that it's the little room on the left just inside the door.

carol123 wrote: »
    Good to know Tristan. Just to add that it's the little room on the left just inside the door.

And the next meeting is on 12th October.

• Advertisement

Hey! Anyone got anything interesting to say? Any newbies wanna join? Feels like there should be tumbleweeds blowing across this thread... :p

Advertisement