Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

I'm sorry to say I won't be able to attend tomorrow, and having read the book and everything! Enjoy, should be a good discussion, it is a very peculiar book...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dockfive

Hoping to make it along tomorrow night for the first time. Half way throught the book but all that teenage angst is tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Do I have anything interesting to say?
    Well it all depends on what your definition of interesting is.

We should arrange a trip to the cinema or something...
    Maybe or maybe not one of them movies that are on in the town hall on a Sunday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

I went to Revaunche last Sunday. It was brilliant. Not a very comfortable seating arrangement in there though. I was on the balcony. It was sold out so if you are going, get there early. It even brought back memories of my first ever cinema outing. I went to see The Land Before Time there (which I loved) when I was about 8 maybe. The box office was at the back of the building by the small lane and there was a really grubby looking sweet shop just inside the door :) It would bring a tear to a glass eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Glad to see you all alive and well will make it on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Gonna make an effort to attend the next meeting (not tomorrow).

Have a new found enthusiasm for Boardsie events after the beers the last night again.

Less Than Zero looks interesting, but it's a bit too late.

I went to Revaunche last Sunday. It was brilliant. Not a very comfortable seating arrangement in there though. I was on the balcony. It was sold out so if you are going, get there early. It even brought back memories of my first ever cinema outing. I went to see The Land Before Time there (which I loved) when I was about 8 maybe. The box office was at the back of the building by the small lane and there was a really grubby looking sweet shop just inside the door :) It would bring a tear to a glass eye.

I don't really like the seats in the Town Hall either.
    My first cinema outing was in the cinema in the Claddagh. I was brought to see The Jungle Book. Aww them were the days!

And to the guy who hasn't read the book but was thinking about coming.
    Sure come along anyway. The first meeting I ever attended I hadn't read the book either.

hyperbaby wrote: »
    And to the guy who hasn't read the book but was thinking about coming.
    Sure come along anyway. The first meeting I ever attended I hadn't read the book either.
    Slovakia vs Ireland on tv tonight. no chance... :D

There is a television in the cottage too... :p
    I know, i know important match and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

hyperbaby wrote: »
    I don't really like the seats in the Town Hall either.
    My first cinema outing was in the cinema in the Claddagh. I was brought to see The Jungle Book. Aww them were the days!

My first cinema outing was for the Jungle Book too! It's still my favourite cartoon movie. I think i went to see it in the Town Hall though and remember it being seriously grim!

Not sure if i can make it this evening but you'll all know the outcome if ye see me or not!

Seriously enjoyed this book. I think I'm Bret Easton Ellis's new biggest fan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Forgot to say at meeting there is another book swap in Lohans pub salthill on this Thursday 14th Oct at 5.30 not sure how good it will be was not at the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

In this book was the fact underpinned: Money doesn’t bring happiness.
    I was disgusted with the lifestyle of these strange young people. Because everything in their life seems so pointless, colourless and dreary. But I have compassion with them, too.
    I’m glad that I can say: I haven’t got any practical knowledge with drugs (I mean the sort of drugs from the book. In fact I’m dependent on other things (books and so on). So I can’t fancy how it is if one can’t bear parties, the family and actually the whole life without drugs. And as this was to boring they needed stronger things (rape, videos depicting violence, …). And the guy who hasn't got any money and he becomes a "career as a rent boy". What for a bad life.
    I feel somehow sorry for these poor rich kids. Or shouldn’t I?
    Their partens are never at home, the family is any case annoying, friends who are more interested to know where the dealer is and not what the friends are doing or where they are. They have money, expensive cars, but have they any joy?
    It is like inside the book - there is written, they haven’t got anything to lose. So they need new stimuli (sightseeing tour to a dead body, …)
    Certainly I prefer the book American Psycho more than Less Than Zero. This book was very close to my pain threshold, but I think it was better. I think American Psycho is be high and very blood-soaked, but very good written and I think it is very brave to write about these things. (And I believe the story about the rat will never left my mind. Ugh!)
    Less Than Zero describes the life of these people in a brilliant way, but it is too harmless compared with American Psycho.
    I’m mightily impressed with his debut novel. A really superb book.

geekychick wrote: »
    • 26/10: The Lover (my nom)
    • 09/11: The Bookseller of Kabul (Martty's nom)
    Jump giving this a bump. Had to look around a bit to find them.

I haven't even been to a meeting yet, but I'd just like to give my opinion on something.

Maybe a friendly mod :rolleyes: could change the thread title after each meeting, to reflect the new nomination, date, venue, etc.

BOOK CLUB - Galway (26th Oct, The Lover by Marguerite Duras)

It sounds like I'm being a bit picky, but if the info is right in front of people, it might draw a few more in.

My gut feeling is to give The Lover a miss, so I'll grab The Bookseller Of Kabul.

EDIT: Wow, the bookseller looks very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Yeah, but I think if people are genuinely interested they'll go.

I'm really enjoying The Lover so far.

Also, I have to make a nomination for the start of December, so stay tuned...

carol123 wrote: »
    Yeah, but I think if people are genuinely interested they'll go.
    Of course, but it might attract a few others. No matter anyway, just a suggestion.

Read a bit of The Bookseller of Kabul. Will actually pick up a copy later. Enjoying it so far.

It's a couple of weeks away, but do you usually meet in the same place at the same time? I probably wouldn't be arriving there early.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Jump giving this a bump. Had to look around a bit to find them.

Maybe a friendly mod :rolleyes: could change the thread title after each meeting, to reflect the new nomination, date, venue, etc.

BOOK CLUB - Galway (26th Oct, The Lover by Marguerite Duras

Yeah :)... do you think we'd have much success finding a friendly mod to do this for us? We can't even get them to make our thread a sticky through our founder and mod liaison (TristanPeter).

(That reminds me, I should have done some mod lobbying myself while at the latest boards beers, instead of the purposeless chat about the geography of Europe etc, but thanx for the drink anyway, biko! :D)

My gut feeling is to give The Lover a miss,
    :(
    :D

Yes, it is traditionally about 8 PM, but most of the people would be turning up around 08:30 or so. Some usually turn up even much later than that (justifiable reasons! :)), so it's up to you really... there are no roll calls or late fees!

As has been repeated a lot, but another time doesn't hurt, it is the room immediately to the left as you enter The Cottage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sandra3

Book Club still happening?

• Advertisement

Hi Sandra3, yes it is. Read the last few posts for more info. if you are interested in joining. You are more than welcome to come along.

I haven't even been to a meeting yet, but I'd just like to give my opinion on something.

BOOK CLUB - Galway (26th Oct, The Lover by Marguerite Duras)

It sounds like I'm being a bit picky, but if the info is right in front of people, it might draw a few more in.

I think that's a great idea. Anything that means we don't have to keep repeating the same things. Maybe also include 'new members welcome'.

Carol123, what is the name/author of the book you nominated?
    Can't seem to find it on this thread...

I will take the liberty of answering this, as carol123 is no doubt hard at work at the moment, in a demanding job that doesn't allow for looking up the BC thread on the company computer (AFAIK :)).

26/10: "The Lover" (my nom)
    09/11: "The Bookseller of Kabul" (Martty's nom)
    23/11: "The Ministry for Special Cases" (carol123's nom)
    07/12: YOUR upcoming nom (wink wink ;))
    21/12: Our upcoming Xmas nom - we should be deciding on that soon, too!

carol123's nom was written by Nathan Englander.

Oh Carol... :) was wondering if I could take you up on that offer of your copy of the book, the library in town doesn't have it?

Okay, I have decided.
    It's 542 pages but it's been a good while since we had a book over 400/500 pages so I hope ye guys don't mind.

07/12: "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo''

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Yeah, delighted with that nomination. I've a copy on my bookshelf for a while now that I've been meaning to get around to!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

geekychick wrote: »
    I will take the liberty of answering this, as carol123 is no doubt hard at work at the moment, in a demanding job that doesn't allow for looking up the BC thread on the company computer (AFAIK :)).

07/12: YOUR upcoming nom (wink wink ;))

carol123's nom was written by Nathan Englander.

Oh Carol... :) was wondering if I could take you up on that offer of your copy of the book, the library in town doesn't have it?

Absolutely geekychick! If I don't have it read by Tuesday I will by the next meeting. Sorry about the delay getting back to you. Yes, it's true, I am extremely busy doing extremely important things all day every day. :p

Thank you carol123! Much appreciated :)

I hope everyone is enjoying the nice (for the time of the year) weekend weather! Chat soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dockfive

First time visitor to the last book club for Less than Zero and it was really enjoyable, so thanks guys.

Won't be able to make it tonight or the next one but hopefully will make it again towards the end of November.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

This book suits to the weather (here in Germany): murky and gloomy. There is no hope inside, no happyness. The book is brilliant in relation of poetry, art of versification and description of stringent conditions. But it gets me down. A perfect book is for me one which make me glad, satisfied and happy and it let me forget all the bad things. All right I know if I read only this sort of books I will miss magnificent books like this one. So I stop writing and search something what make me cheerful.

(I wrote this last Sunday. The weather changed: it was sunny today but only 2°C at the moment - Not as warm as in Galway. Am I right? Did you have 15°C today?)

Advertisement