Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Hi germanSandra (and others),

there were altogether 7 of us at the BC meeting last night, and more than half had the book read, which is an ok result! :D We had a good little discussion about it, anyway.

I would describe "The Lover" as a poetically rendered memoir, really, although officially it is a novel. Yes, it is a somewhat bleak book, the narrator's family situation and circumtances at the time it is set, cannot but make it so. I like the book as a collection of snapshots of the narrator's life, both in Indochina and afterwards, in France. I also really liked its poetic language, and the way it eschews linear narration in favour of weaving back and forth the stories from the more and less distant past. Ultimately, of course, it is also a sad love story, so the book is really multi-layered and I find it a very enjoyable read.

I'm glad you've found it to be worth reading, anyway! :)

P.S. Yes, I think it has been somewhat warmer again these last couple of days or so. Two words: Galway weather. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

In an attempt to drum up some new members and keep the funny going, I have created a facebook group. Can those of you on facebook search and join the group Galway Book Club please?

I'm going to post the details on some Galway fb pages too and see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Remember we were on about quizzes on tuesday night?
    Well there is one on in Crowe's tonight for a basketball club or something along them lines and also there is one in the Dail Bar next Tuesday for Enable Ireland.
    Any interest?

I liked the book. Surprisingly enough i didn't mind the jumping from one stage of her life to another. I loved the way she described her clothes and the time and place she was in. I found her relationship with her mother and older brother sad and shocking. Gloomy but life is like that sometimes.

And the weather in Galway today, rain, rain and even more fecking rain...
    Roll on the winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

What're ye on about? This is great weather, very Halloweeny!!:eek: I've seen something about that quiz in the Dail Bar. Still waiting to see if I'm going with others but I think we should give it a go anyway. We'd probably make up a few tables between us all.

• Advertisement

Hi, hyperbaby and carol123, I would be interested in the next Tuesday's table quiz (can't make the one tonight though).

I suggest that, like the last time, anyone interested in going with the Book Club posts here, so we can see if we have enough people for a team?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Robert1782

Hey,
    Robert from the last night here. Im a quiz addict so would be very interested in the quiz in the dail bar on tuesday :)

Right so we have 3/4 who are up for the quiz.
    Anyone else up for it?

I think it starts at 9pm, but i have to re-check.

Well I'll definitely go. My sis might come too. She's thinking of joining the Book Club so maybe we can charm her with our winning ways! :cool:

Sorry folks won't be able to make Tuesday. Bummer cos some of ye may know how competitive I get at those table quiz thingys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I have, as of yet, not managed to make it to the book club, despite my best intentions... but I heart table quizzes and should be free on Tuesday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

If the numbers are needed I can make it for the quiz.

Sometimes competitive, sometimes not.

http://www.enableireland.ie/events/4th-annual-enable-ireland-galway-fun-quiz

just spotted this on the website:
    Pre-booking of tables is advised based on last year’s turnout. For further details please do not hesitate to contact me. Don't forget to invite your friends to attend!
    To prebook your team Call 091 526321 or Text QUIZ to 087 665 8664 alternatively you can email Joanne at galwayfr@enableireland.ie

So we have enough for one table but do we have enough for two tables?

Well I'm definitely going but it'll be just me.
    hyperbaby wrote: »
    http://www.enableireland.ie/events/4th-annual-enable-ireland-galway-fun-quiz

just spotted this on the website:
    Pre-booking of tables is advised based on last year’s turnout. For further details please do not hesitate to contact me. Don't forget to invite your friends to attend!
    To prebook your team Call 091 526321 or Text QUIZ to 087 665 8664 alternatively you can email Joanne at galwayfr@enableireland.ie

So we have enough for one table but do we have enough for two tables?

OK, so it seems to be hyperbaby, carol123, Robert1782, higamos and myself. Maybe Ficheall too, but how will we recognise him/her or he/she us?

What do we do?

EDIT: hyperbaby, I think you should go ahead and book 1 table, judging by the numbers we have? Text me if you want to discuss it?

Well I suppose wait and see if we get a reply. 3 per table would probably be ok I'd say. :)

Sounds sensible too!

Robert and Ficheall, please post just to confirm for tomorrow (Ficheall especially as we have to be able to know what you look like!.. or something)

EDIT: Just got a word from Ficheall, he will be there tomorrow, so yes, if ye think that 3 per table is sensible enough, go ahead with booking 2 tables (check with them though).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Picked up a copy of The Bookseller of Kabul last night. Will get through it in the next couple of nights.

Took a sneak peak of it by looking at the ebook ;) before I got over the laziness and went into Hughes.

Im still definitely up for it so count me in.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_123833927673803&ap=1

Going to put the facebook group link up every page of posts so people can check it out if they're on facebook. I have events set up for the next few books we've decided on.

Also, there's a facebook group already but hasn't been used since July 2009. Does anyone know who started this and maybe they could remove it?

We have 8 members so far. 4 of these are our regulars (at least I think so although I'm not sure as I have realised I don't know many of your surnames!) so we may have a few new members at our next meeting. Very exciting! :)

BTW, enjoy the table quiz!

• Advertisement

Thank you for that, Martty, however I have to regrettably inform you that I am not on FB and nor do I intend to be :(. I've nothing against it, it's just not my personal idea of a "social network" (actually, Boards would be much closer to that!:D).

Anyway, I am sure it will be a success and convenient for our Book Club. As for the old one, I think Pope Buckfast was maintaining that (if I am not mistaken), so you might ask him?

Two tables booked :D

See ye around 8.30 direction so!

hyperbaby wrote: »
    See around 8.30 direction so!

Thanks for that, hyperbaby. :)

Absolutely!

Cheers hyperbaby! See ya then. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

8 30, affirmative.

hey guys, i called the dail bar just to make sure what time the table quiz kicked off. and apparently registration for the tables in between 8 and half 8, and the quiz is supposed to start at half past? anyone online that confirm what time you guys will be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Plan is to be there by 8:30 afaik. It probably won't start til about 9:15, but that's Ireland for you...
    I'm going to stroll down now anyway. It had better have stopped raining...

ah ok fair enough, cheers for the reply.

A great quizzing night last night.

We were split into two teams, with one of our teams having to take on some Book Club uninitiates on board (the numbers thing), but in the end it proved satisfactory, I think! :)

One of our teams came fourth, with the other one being in the lead through most of the game :cool:, don't know what went wrong there in the end, but it's a great result overall, innit? :D

P.S. Me being me, I managed to lose some items out of my bag last night (not to worry, carol123, it's not the book, just some make up!), how that could have possibly happened I don't know, but sure rare is a night out without some kind of mishap for me, imagine the disaster zone if I were a drinking person!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Not able to make it again tonight apologies to all. Missing the chat and discussions but at the moment just not possible to attend. Next few weeks should see me sorted so see you all next meeting, or perhaps before if there is a night out, movie or drinks etc.
    ps have read the Book Seller and loved it.

Advertisement