Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Folks,

So sorry but I won't be able to make it tonight either. Actually it looks like Tuesdays are going to be a non-runner for me until the end of February but I'll be there if anything changes.

Obviously tonight was my book choice so I am doubly disappointed about not being able to make it. I really enjoyed this book. I think when it comes to reading books with the backdrop of Afghanistan people may think it'll be a hard read but this one had a good mixture of the light and the dark for me. I've actually read three books recently which were set in Afghanistan so I think I'm done on this topic for awhile!

Anyway, I hope ye enjoyed it and keep me posted on any plans for nights out/celebrations/general get togethers before Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

I'l be there anyway, if the weather stays off I might even cycle! See ya all 8-8.30... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

We need to organise a night out for Bethm/Christmas.
    Since you will be the guest of honour Bethm is there anything you would like to do or any place you would like to go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

hyperbaby wrote: »
    We need to organise a night out for Bethm/Christmas.
    Since you will be the guest of honour Bethm is there anything you would like to do or any place you would like to go to?

Party in my place :) We can have food/booze here and then maybe head to a bar afterward...or just stay here? I'd be more than happy to host but the only dates in December I can't is the weekend of the 18th because I have a wedding to go to.

I might not make it to BookClub tonight. Not sure yet guys if I'll be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Hi guys,

Got home late, couldn't make it. Haven't finished the book either. Will do so over the weekend and hopefully have the next book read soon. Can have a bit of a chat about both at the next meet I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Think that's a great idea Tristan. Will the hedgehogs be there? :)

Party in my place :) We can have food/booze here and then maybe head to a bar afterward...or just stay here? I'd be more than happy to host but the only dates in December I can't is the weekend of the 18th because I have a wedding to go to.

I might not make it to BookClub tonight. Not sure yet guys if I'll be able to.

There will be a special guest appearance on the night from them. Actually, I think they might have gone into hibernation because they are keeping a low profile these days. A few weeks ago they started arriving for food really early in the night; around 8 or 9 whereas lately I haven't seen them that much. I hope they're okay.

What dates suit people for the party?
    Don't mean to sound pushy but it is a busy time of the year for people so perhaps it would be a good idea to try find a date that suits people sooner rather than later.

Anyway, back to the books.
    The upcoming nominations are:
    23/11: "The Ministry for Special Cases" (carol123's nomination)
    07/12: "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'' (hyperbaby's nomination)
    21/12: "Winterwood" by Patrick McCabe (Christmas/winter nomination)

GermanSandra, would you like to nominate a book for the first Book Club meeting of 2011, Tuesday the 4th of January?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

Thanks so much that I could nominate a book. I really glad. :D

The upcoming nominations are:
    23/11: "The Ministry for Special Cases" (carol123's nomination)
    07/12: "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'' (hyperbaby's nomination)
    21/12: "Winterwood" by Patrick McCabe (Christmas/winter nomination)
    04/01: "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (germanSandra's nomination)

Please wait a bit longer of my review about the bookseller. I read the book and I think it was a really good book but I'd like to write more about it and I need more time to write something.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

OK, we seem to be progressing in huge strides here :D - noms for the next month sorted once more, and the bethm/Xmas party at Tristan's?

Since Tristan can't make the 18th, the 25th is a non-runner for obvious reasons and bethm won't be available after that, we are left with the choice of weekends of 26-27/11, 3-4/12 and 10-11/12 (Fri-Sat mark). Perhaps some voting should take place on-thread?

In other news, germanSandra, bethm, Martty, Robert, civis et al, we discussed "The Book Seller of Kabul" last night (as ye know), there were 6 of us present and it was a great lively one :D. Good discussion out of it, I felt. Anyone who wasn't there and has something to say about the book, go for it on here!

Laters folks :)

EDIT: Oh yes, and deedana is back to us! Yay :)

• Advertisement

geekychick wrote: »

Since Tristan can't make the 18th, the 25th is a non-runner for obvious reasons and bethm won't be available after that, we are left with the choice of weekends of 26-27/11, 3-4/12 and 10-11/12 (Fri-Sat mark). Perhaps some voting should take place on-thread?

10-11/12 suits me the best so that's my vote at least :)

Nice to see you back Deedana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

No problems with 10-11/12 with me! well any of them suit at present actually... Great meeting last night, the most discussion we've had on a book for a while!

Never ever I read a book about history, politics and a culture of a other country in a worthwhile manner like in this one. The plot is diverting and engrossing. The prologe was essential. That’s why I know why she decided herself for this family for her book and why she wrote like she wrote. She never wrote about her way of thinking (except in the prologe) and so it’s a great, neutrally description. And I learnt a lot about Kabul.
    A descruption of a middle class family in Kabul – and all I can think is: How live the poor people in Kabul?
    For me is the imagination to live in this way incredible. Women without any rights, dreams, thoughts and viewlessly. Everything is prohibited from doing, if the men don’t permit it.
    I realize that these people are deeply ingrained in their traditions and they can’t escape.
    It’s terrible to live in a war zone and without dreams and hopes. How could someone suffer this life?
    What I yet knew about Kabul was I knew from the news in TV. After that book I know more details due the mixture of “history lesson” and description of the daily routine. I was very surprised about details like how women keep their individality (particular shoes, make-up, …).
    I guess the political situation in Afghanistan is too messy. No protection force can change this country ways. Search me! I only someone with a small political knowledge.

The 10th doesn't suit me but the 11th or 12th suits me!

I really liked the book. So much so that the moment I finished reading it I googled her other books to see what other topics she has written about. This is a rarity for me.
    I like the way it touched on all the different characters both male and female. I found it to be very informative with details about the Taliban and past and present situation without being boring and laborious.
    Maybe it is because I live in somewhat of a bubble but I found some of the stories about the women shocking. The description of Kabul, the Afghan's culture and lives was very well done in my opinion.

10th of December is good for me but I don't think I'll be available for 11th. Then I've pretty much something on most wknds until Christmas. The majority decides though.

Can someone set up one of those poll things for dates that the cinema club used for the films and then we could organise a date very quickly before the next meeting?

P.S. Delighted about the Shadow of the Wind nomination cos that's another one of the many books on my shelf that I have yet to get around to! Maybe I should circulate a list of these books for future nominations from other members!!

I read through a bit of the ebook before I got the print copy of the BSOF. Hadn't gotten very far in it, but was very interested by it. Have it beside me now and great intentions of getting through a good bit of it this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Miss OMMC

Hi Everyone,

I'm from Dublin but moving to Galway in a couple of months and would love to join your book club. I've already joined the Facebook group so hopefully this will be a great way to get to know some locals before the big move! :)

Either night of the first two weekends suits me. :)

Martty81 wrote: »
    Can someone set up one of those poll things for dates that the cinema club used for the films and then we could organise a date very quickly before the next meeting?

Just thought of something; if we set up a poll like that, are we able to restrict the voters to being Bookclubbers only? As much as I like the Galway City forum community (and I do! :)), I wouldn't necessarily want everyone on the forum deciding on the Book Club's Xmas do!

Perhaps we better stick to on thread, and decide at our next meeting?

Miss OMMC wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

I'm from Dublin but moving to Galway in a couple of months and would love to join your book club. I've already joined the Facebook group so hopefully this will be a great way to get to know some locals before the big move! :)

Great stuff Miss OMMC. The details of our next couple of meetings are on the facebook page and will be updated as new books are nominated. New members are always welcomed and there's a great mix of people already involved. Looking forward to meeting you at future meetings!

• Advertisement

geekychick wrote: »
    Just thought of something; if we set up a poll like that, are we able to restrict the voters to being Bookclubbers only? As much as I like the Galway City forum community (and I do! :)), I wouldn't necessarily want everyone on the forum deciding on the Book Club's Xmas do!

Perhaps we better stick to on thread, and decide at our next meeting?
    I'd agree with all that. I haven't been to a meeting yet :rolleyes: but since you are talking about a smallish group it would be better to just discuss it within the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Any of the dates mentioned suite me. The only date I have something on for is the 18th Dec looking forward to a get together outside of meeting. Will see you all at next meeting have only a few left to attend and will make it my life's mission to be there. Shadow of the wind I have read and could not recommend it enough, it is a wonderful book and would be in my top ten.

It appears to me that I nominated a good book. Good to know. :)

*bumps thread*

Hello fellow book clubbers... *waves*

Hi hyperbaby! *waves back* :)

OK folks, just a reminder that our next meeting is on this Tuesday coming (23rd November). The book discussed on the night will be Nathan Englander's "The Ministry of Special Cases" (an excellent novel, BTW, am completely engrossed in it).

I would specially ask people who want to participate in our bethm/Xmas do, to attend if at all possible, as it will go much quicker and simpler with settling on a date and other details in a meeting, than by PM, texts and any other means individually. Need I say it, goes doubly for Tristan!! :p

(I will note down the date preferences that have been expressed on-thread so far, so those votes will count at the meeting too!)

Laters :)

I'll be there with bells on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Robert1782

Hi guys. Was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy the most recent book: The ministry of special cases? Couldn't find it anywhere in town and left it a bit late to order it in?

Robert1782 wrote: »
    Hi guys. Was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy the most recent book: The ministry of special cases? Couldn't find it anywhere in town and left it a bit late to order it in?

I also tried to find it in town to no avail; had to ask carol123 to lend it me in the end (which she did, thanx again carol! :)). Sorry that is not much help to you, but it is getting a bit late in the day... anyway, if you don't get to read it, it's not a disaster, but I do recommend it thoroughly if/when you do get hold of it.

Well when I bought it in Charlie Byrnes' there were several copies but that was a while ago. Sorry if it was so difficult for people to find! :(
    Robert1782 wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Robert1782

no probs. I'll just have to get ordering the book sooner next time.

Advertisement