Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marcia Lustley

as the title says im a newcomer but i'd love to get involved in the book club (love the ole reading!)
    so i basically need to know who what where and how?

the finest of thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

as the title says im a newcomer but i'd love to get involved in the book club (love the ole reading!)
    so i basically need to know who what where and how?

the finest of thanks in advance
    Hi Marcia
    next meeting is on Tuesday 7 Dec around 8.30 in the Cottage Bar in Salthill the room on the left as you go in. We are reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stige Larsson for the next meeting. No worries if you have not read the book just come along. See you Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

First of all I’d like to say sorry for writing so late. I finished it just in time, but I hadn’t the time to write.

It’s a different sort of family drama. Kaddisch Poznan would like to do everything properly and sometimes it looks like the right way, but then everything goes wrong.
    His son Pato despises him, otherwise he has a normal life. Insofar it could be in country with a military government.
    Lillian falls between the cracks and she has her own opinions.
    These facts alone are enough for a good story. In this book is more than this. Pato “became missing” or better erased out of the memories of everyone possible.
    His parents had more than one idea to rescue him. And this is the point where Nathan Englander plays a good game with the reader. Everything when I thought: “Great. That could be the key.” he showed me that I was wrong.
    The whole story was imaginative, exciting and sometimes funny.
    I must say that I usually hate book without a real end. But this open end is a really good end. It isn’t unrealistic or corny or atrocious. I was very impress of this end.
    It is a book I really liked to read.

P.S. If you drink on the Galway christmas market a “Glühwein” please tell me if you liked it. ;) Yesterday I drunk a Glühwein here, but it was very dilute.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

07/12: "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo'' (hyperbaby's nomination)
    21/12: "Winterwood" by Patrick McCabe (Christmas/winter nomination)
    04/01: "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (germanSandra's nomination)
    18/01:

Bethm, have you decided on a book for your nomination?

Thanks for the reminder would have forgotten. My nomination is The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

I just wanted to tell you all how much I enjoyed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I liked it so much that I've just finished the second book and will be starting the third this evening. It's a good old fashioned thriller crime trilogy and I really like the main characters. The Swedish family names, town names and local area names are all a pain but I'm getting used to them now. I'm definitely butchering the language at the same time though!

Fascinating story about the author Larsson and all the controversy since but I don't think it takes from the fact that the books are just brilliant. I'm sure there will be a good discussion tomorrow night about the literary praise he has received since they've been published.

All that aside it's a good page turner and on these cold evenings that's exactly what I was looking for.

Bethm has selected the 70th book to be read by the Club! Thought it deserved a mention!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AizyyHWRI72LdFNwVmZ4ckJuZGU1LWtmVGk0Uk54MkE&hl=en&authkey=CKir3cwH

http://www.caballopress.com/AboutTheBookSimpleGame.html

I just got an email through facebook from a publisher regarding a book launch for The Simple Game by Thomas Foley. I think the launch coincides with a book club meeting so may not be suitable. Anyway, see details in link above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi Everyone, if I don't make it in later could someone email me the details of the party please? That probably sounds a bit stupid seeing as it's in my place, but I mean the finer details :) Actually, GeekyChick I'll phone you tomorrow about it if I don't make it in...if you don't mind. I'm looking forward to it so chat soon everyone. We could start off early enough on Saturday evening if you all like?

There are so many different sorts of books inside only one book. And I liked all of them.

A story about economic crime: I made me thought-provoking about what all could happen offstage a concern. I think many/or better all companies have more or less huge secrets. But I hope less than Hans-Erik Wennerström and his company.
    The main story is of course the cold case “Harriet Vanger”. A lot of things must become solved: Which crime happened (Was it a murder? Had she has an accident and died? Had she has an accident and amnesia? Or something else?;)) And if it was a murder, who was the murderer? What was the motive if it was a murder? And I had to wait until the end of the book.
    The next part was how journatists, detective and hacker get information.
    Moreover is there a chase after a rapist and murderer (or maybe two)?
    It was discussed a strange family history, politics and a bit history.

The storyline isn’t as confused as I wrote on the top. Every storyline match perfect in the main story and makes disire for the next book.

• Advertisement

Hi Everyone, if I don't make it in later could someone email me the details of the party please? That probably sounds a bit stupid seeing as it's in my place, but I mean the finer details :) Actually, GeekyChick I'll phone you tomorrow about it if I don't make it in...if you don't mind. I'm looking forward to it so chat soon everyone. We could start off early enough on Saturday evening if you all like?

What's this now? I didn't get this memo?!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Martty81 wrote: »
    What's this now? I didn't get this memo?!

Sorry about that Martty :( - we've been really remiss at keeping everyone in the loop about this lately. PM on the way.

What music will I bring to ze party?

I might just inflict the cheesiest tunes possible :D

Glee and Mariah all the way...

hyperbaby wrote: »
    What music will I bring to ze party?

I might just inflict the cheesiest tunes possible :D

Glee and Mariah all the way...

Would you be able to get any of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Very_Special_Christmas ?

Chat soon!

Will you try to get some of the Christmas classics please Hyperbaby, including of course Fairytale of New York. Don't forget a little bit of Wham. Ooh yeah :)

Feel free to call around from 6/7 onwards and if anyone needs a lift over let me know. It's not a problem.

Oh yeah Wham, my favourite Christmas song... :D:D

Ya would hardly give me a lift since i love so far away :P
    Joking i'll sort something out!

Just sent you a pm there HyperBaby.

Hi Bookclubbers, :)

in the name of a bit more transparency about our upcoming Saturday party (and trying not to exclude or forget about anyone), just letting you know that all Bookclubbers are invited, so if anyone would like to come but still doesn't know the address or the time, or has any questions, feel free to PM or text me.

See ye there soon! :cool:

Sorry about double-posting,

just want to thank our hosts TP and S. on last night's going as smoothly and decorously as it did :D (later on in the night we discovered that they were well skilled in hospitality and entertainment team efforts from years ago, in Kerry...where else?).

A special thank you also to several providers of some invaluable YouTube links. You know who you are. :)

Another great Book Club night!

Laters folks.

Hopefully i will be there unless things get worse over the next few hours.

Also, any ideas where i could get a nice/fancy bookmark for a small Christmas present?
    I'm not that bothered about looking nor to I have the time, so if one of ye knew a place that would be great.

• Advertisement

Hope to make it also see you all later fingers crossed.

Sorry I didn't make it last night everyone. I didn't want to drive, cycle or walk because of the ice.

Does anyone feel like meeting up for a drink in town on Christmas Eve? Maybe early evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Sorry I didn't make it last night everyone. I didn't want to drive, cycle or walk because of the ice.

Does anyone feel like meeting up for a drink in town on Christmas Eve? Maybe early evening?

Sorry Tristan! Will be out in the country by tomorrow evening but it's a great idea.

You missed some beautiful truffles(not real ones :p ) and gingerbread biscuits.

I might be around that time, sure let me know!

How's Mo keeping? :)

I might just drag myself out into the cold for a Christmas Eve beverage or two, TP. :)

Chat soon so.

Did anyone read the book Winterwood? I'd like to talk/write about it.

I wish you all Merry Christmas!

Did anyone read the book Winterwood? I'd like to talk/write about it.

I wish you all Merry Christmas!

I didn't read it GermanSandra but that's nothing unusual :o Was it good?

Happy Christmas to you too :)

Anyone want to meet around 2/3 tomorrow in Ti Neachtain (or somewhere else with a fire) for that Christmas drink? Come on, you know you want to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Robert1782

Happy xmas everyone enjoy the holidays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 deedana

have a great christmas everyone! if i'm in town later i'll pop in ! hard to motivate oneself in -6, cheers!

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas everyone :)

Hopefully I'll see some of you in town in a bit. If not have a great holiday.

Advertisement