Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

To echo everyone who already posted with Christmas wishes, I hope ye all have a lovely time with your families and friends, and I hope Santa rewards you abundantly for being such good Bookclubbers throughout the year. :)

Happy Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

I didn't read it GermanSandra but that's nothing unusual :o Was it good?

It isn’t easy to give you an answer.
    There wasn’t much Christmas spirit in it. The story by itself has a grim mood. The main topic is child assault and the repeat of the past, when you don’t face up to the own past. The victims turn into offenders. Bit by bit with every flashback unburden oneself of disturbing things. The story is about a man (Redmond Hatch), who has everything, a family, a job, not much money but he’s lucky. Save that everything crumbled. And he lose everything, work one’s way up from nothing and lose again everything.
    So if you like to read a fascinating book with a very black mood, (for me with some new informations about Ireland), splendid narrate, it will be a good book.
    If you like a good feeling while reading (with a whiff of Christmas spirit) and a joyful book, you should take another book.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Robert1782 wrote: »
    Happy xmas everyone enjoy the holidays :)

Did you decide on your nomination yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Robert1782

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Did you decide on your nomination yet?

My nomination is: How To Be Good, by Nick Hornby.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Lensbaby89

Hi, I'd be interested in joining your bookclub but I'm wondering where you meet? I see the next book is The Shadow of the Wind...exciting!

• Advertisement

Happy New Year everyone! :) I hope it brings you all everything you wish for!

Lensbaby89, we meet at the Cottage Bar in Salthill (little room directly on the left just as you enter through the door), and the next meeting is this Tuesday 04/01, around 8 pm (people usually show up between 8 and 8:30). Yourself and any other newbies are, as ever, welcome. :)

Yup, "The Shadow of the Wind" up for discussion (er... I have made a bit of an inroad into it, anyway... :o).

Happy New Year from me, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hi everyone!

Hope you all had a good Christmas. Just checking that we're definitely meeting tonight? :cool:

Meeting is definitely on tonight :D
    I have 150 pages of the book left, which i love so far.
    If anyone ruins the ending, i will not be a happy bunny!

If anyone ruins the ending, i will not be a happy bunny!

Please tell me when you'll finished it. I'd like to submit two or three sentences once again.

• Advertisement

Feel free to post your comments on the book when you want.
    I'll be finished it by Friday hopefully, but it's okay if you post your comments on the book before that. I don't have to read your post.

Thanks for the chance to decide a book. But I am not sure if it was the best choice.
    The beginning sounded promising, the remain oh well… It wasn’t bad. The book has an indisputable entertainment value and an interesting topic. The figures are masterful particularised. The stories of one single intertwined with the ohters was splendid. It was good to read something about the Spain history. I enjoyed the romantic style, but something was missing. What is “something”? I would say that certain something.
    For me opened the secret who scorched the books too fast. Who can develop such a one obsession with that dramatic scale? And after reading the book The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo… (If you read both books you will know what I mean.)

Hello everyone,

just letting you know that there were 4 of us present at the last meet, we discussed "The Shadow of the Wind" but only half of those present have read it in full... don't know what else to say on it, I wasn't really too impressed by the book - as germanSandra says, there is a certain "something" missing (alternatively, the French say "je ne sais quoi" while nonchalantly shrugging their shoulders...).

Probably the majority of you are still recovering from the excesses of the past few weeks, so I will just wish you well with that, hope to see everyone soon and

Happy New Year! :)

EDIT: P.S. Oh yes, and my nom is next after "How To Be Good", I'll have a think about it over the weekend and come back to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 localy

Hello! I was wondering if the club is open to new memers and if so when is the next meeting? Thank you

localy wrote: »
    Hello! I was wondering if the club is open to new memers and if so when is the next meeting? Thank you

Hi localy

We are always open to new members. The next meeting is on Tuesday 18th in The Cottage Bar, Salthill. We will be discussing The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende.

I really liked the Shadow of the Wind.
    I enjoyed the way it was written, the way it was set in Spain after the civil war, the relationships between the characters and the many layers in the book. There was a few minor things that I didn't enjoy, especially the ending.
    I can definitely see why it's so popular.

I started The Grass Arena by John Healy yesterday, bring on the doom and gloom.

I really liked the Shadow of the Wind.
    I enjoyed the way it was written, the way it was set in Spain after the civil war, the relationships between the characters and the many layers in the book. There was a few minor things that I didn't enjoy, especially the ending.
    I can definitely see why it's so popular.

I started The Grass Arena by John Healy yesterday, bring on the doom and gloom.

There's something on RTE1 this week about John Healy and that book if you're interested hyperbaby.:)

Thanks for the heads up Carol123!
    I suppose the programme will ruin the ending of the book :p
    2 chapters in and I like it so far.

Hi folks,

my nomination for Tuesday, 1st February is "The Private Lives of Pippa Lee" by Rebecca Miller. I hope it turns out to be a good choice - I think it is not very long anyway. ;)
    I suppose the programme will ruin the ending of the book :p

Yeah, I am hoping to catch the John Healy programme tonight, too. hyperbaby, don't forget, you don't have to watch it tonight if you want to avoid any spoilers, there is always the rte player! :)

http://www.rte.ie/player/#

Correct me if I am wrong geekychick, but i think your nomination is for the 15th of February because Nick Hornby - How To Be Good is nominated for the 1st.

I won't be home to watch it so i will have to watch it on the player.
    I have been reading up on his life today, so i pretty much know the score already.

• Advertisement

Of course you are right, hyperbaby! I managed to fug up my dates even after an edit!! :o (I blame it all on my big new clunky calendar, so much harder to read than my pocket one for 2010... what a sorry excuse...:()

So, to recap:

18/01: "The House of the Spirits", bethm's nom
    01/02: "How To Be Good", Robert's nom
    15/02: "The Private Lives of Pippa Lee", my nom

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend

*bumps thread*

Hi there,

weekend all fine, if somewhat uneventful!

Didn't manage to get hold of Allende's book (tbh, however, I didn't exactly move heaven and earth to find it :o), but hopefully see you on Tuesday just for the, eh, craic. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Good day fellow book clubbers and assorted lurkers or whomever. Hopefully I'll make it tonight, considering I didn't make the last meet. I'll be tragically late of course- work.
    Someday in the far off future I'll be there early in the evening, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Good day fellow book clubbers and assorted lurkers or whomever. Hopefully I'll make it tonight, considering I didn't make the last meet. I'll be tragically late of course- work.
    Someday in the far off future I'll be there early in the evening, hopefully.

Will be there tonight hopefully you make it. Bethm

01/02: "How To Be Good", Robert's nom
    15/02:
    "The Private Lives of Pippa Lee", geekychick's nom
    01/03: "Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier, spenderj's nom

I'm presuming that is the correct book for spenderj's nomination.

This isn’t my review. I write it not yet, because I’m only on page 148.

Hi Bethm,
    I like the book so far and I’ll read the whole book. But I saw the movie not so long ago. Now the impetus is gone. Of course there is more substance in the book than in the movie. And that’s why I’ll enjoy to read it until the end.

And than I’ll write something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Ebsis

Hi,

I would like to join the book club too, if that is possible?
    Am I right with my information, next meeting 1st of February and the book is How to be good by Nick Hornsby and the meeting is in The Cottage Bar in Salthill around 8pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Robert1782

Hi Ebsis. You have the correct info there except the meetings usually start more around the 830 area. New members always welcome :)

• Advertisement

Hey there,

the thread's gone very quiet again... how is everyone? :)

Am enjoying "How To Be Good" so far.

Anyway, is there anyone up for going to see "Black Swan" at the weekend? I'm really looking forward to seeing it! :D

As usual, post here and tell us when would be good for you?

Chat soon!

Advertisement